Dilemma...school Or Work

terrymor66

OK here's the deal. I am trying to decide what to do now. I am living here in Chiang Mai and I am married to a Thai woman. I plan on staying here for the long haul. I already have a Bachelors degree in Business /economics, I have experience teaching in the godforsaken country of Korea. I am trying to decide whether or not to just continue teaching here, or go back to school for another degree, if I do the latter, what kind of degree would help me here in Chiang Mai, if any ?

I am thinking right now that teaching is the easy way out, and even though I have experience teaching, I am thinking of doing the TEFL or CELTA course.....just to have another cert.

I owned my own restaurant and bar back in the US which I sold. I like the business, but not the stress of ownership. Do any of the major hotels ever hire on farang management ?

Anyways, a little rambling there. Any input will be appreciated.

What is your goal in life you’re trying to achieve,..... money or happiness?

Don’t go back to school and waste the money until you can answer this question. If you're not sure, take time to begin identifying it.

Some people may not find the question easy to answer. Most having spent the first half of their life trying only to live up to the expectations of others--a parent, spouse, children, or boss--they have no idea what really gives them pleasure.

So reflect and experiment.

"What were the day-dreams of your youth?"

"What have you always wanted to do but were afraid to try?"

"What activity do you do where time goes by without your even knowing it?"

“What is it that gives you so much pleasure that you are oblivious to everything else?

So what's stopping you?

Then ask yourself again…. Is having another degree or further education will help you to achieve your goal/dream?

Geez, sorry if I sounded like a lost puppy or something :o I am only 40, and financially set. I am just getting bored with not doing much everyday. SOOOO, enrich my mind or my pocketbook some more........just thought I might get some experienced opinions here.

I have already achieved my goals in life

No I am not having a mid-life crisis and looking for a new direction

Maybe someone out there has actually had the "bored of doing nothing everyday" syndrome that is beginning to afflict me. And found themselves in the same boat.....what did you do ?

Geez, sorry if I sounded like a lost puppy or something :o I am only 40, and financially set. I am just getting bored with not doing much everyday.

Seems easy to me. You don't need money, but want something to do.

Get the RSA CELTA and TEACH!

You meet really nice Thai people and provide a much needed service which most of us can't afford to do because we don't make enough money to survive. :D

whahah - i am 30 .. and that hit me hard few years ago ..

one fine day .. i saw a old classic cars .

and i got it ..

i had spend the better half of my time ..collecting classic cars , and restoring them .

i own 5 classic cars now . :o

Toyota Celica TA22 ( 1G-FE 2000cc V6 engine )

Toyota Celica TA22 ( standard without mod )

Toyota Celica RA21 (3TG )

Datsun Stanza Violet GT sss Rally edition ( L16 Dual webber 1600cc )

Mazda 929 Soprt Coupe ( SR20De engine 2000cc )

All this is mY New Toy .

recently i am Into Car audio system .

and is Installing Class D amplifer and custom work on my Celica

all this take up alot of my time reading up and doing research and hutning for rare parts .

is alot of fun really :D

I once heard

Man and boy can only be different by the price of their toys

that one option get yourself a hobby .

Edited by Ta22

OK here's the deal. I am trying to decide what to do now. I am living here in Chiang Mai and I am married to a Thai woman. I plan on staying here for the long haul. I already have a Bachelors degree in Business /economics, I have experience teaching in the godforsaken country of Korea. I am trying to decide whether or not to just continue teaching here, or go back to school for another degree, if I do the latter, what kind of degree would help me here in Chiang Mai, if any ?

I am thinking right now that teaching is the easy way out, and even though I have experience teaching, I am thinking of doing the TEFL or CELTA course.....just to have another cert.

I owned my own restaurant and bar back in the US which I sold. I like the business, but not the stress of ownership. Do any of the major hotels ever hire on farang management ?

Anyways, a little rambling there. Any input will be appreciated.

If you have enough money for you and your family to live, why not go back to school and learn something completely different. Yes, companies DO hire farangs, both in the hospitality field as well as the hospital field. 40 isn't too old to become an MD and the world certainly can use a few more of them. Or what is your secret dream? Want to be a philosophy teacher? How about an astrophysisist (maybe you can then teach me how to spell that....) What about taking art classes and learn to sculpt? Remember, you only get one life, (excluding the metaphysics) so why not live it as fully and as wildly as you wish to! Also remember, you can do anything that you really, really want to do, and don't let anyone talk you out of it! Never give up your dream.

The Fly Fisherman

Getting another degree won't make you more employable here in Thailand but getting another degree will open up other ops elsewhere. For example, with a masters you could go into University lecturing.

I am the same age as you (well I will be next week) and I am on my forth degree and each degree has been in a different field of expertise and it's great to have such diversity in one's learning. Who knows, I may pick medicine after I finish my current degree or even go for nano engineering... the knowledge tree is so diverse and it could lead you anywhere.

In my book, you are never too old to learn and being here in Thailand you have a great op to continue with your own development and learning. Why not start publishing your knowledge, write for journals, write a book!

Learning is what makes a person stand out from the rest of the animals and monkies that roam the planet. Go for it and expand your mind, who knows where it will lead you.

Here's a thought: go back to school here in Chiang Mai. Take an MA at Chiang Mai University. This will accomplish several goals at once, and introduce you to people with similar interests. Career opportunities will likely flow from those connections. My hunch is that another degree from back home won't have much effect on employment here, because in general there just aren't many local jobs for farang here except teaching, some form of self-employment like running a small business (for which another degree is not needed), or jobs with international outfits that post you to Chiang Mai.

Anyway, sounds like are in a great situation--congratulations! Fantasizing for a moment that I were in your shoes, I would probably split my time among hobbies, studying language, volunteer work or some other way to give back to Thai society.

Thank you all for your inputs. :o I think I am leaning the most towards continuing education at this point. However I want to be able to apply any new found knowledge here in Chiang Mai. The one thing I know for a certainty is that I will live here for many years to come. :D

I guess the next step for me might be heading to some of the colleges and finding out what degrees I can get that are taught in English ! lol

Any other pearls of wisdom out there ?

PS I am still looking for someone to go golf with ! :D

Let's say you go for further education, but yet quite undecided on even which field ... Think in term of fields that leave as many options as possible open as long as possible ... The ideal situation is that once you've got the certificate(s) you persue, you'll be equally fitted to get a reasonable job as well as to start up something on your own within your field.

Thank you all for your inputs. :o I think I am leaning the most towards continuing education at this point. However I want to be able to apply any new found knowledge here in Chiang Mai. The one thing I know for a certainty is that I will live here for many years to come. :D

I guess the next step for me might be heading to some of the colleges and finding out what degrees I can get that are taught in English ! lol

Any other pearls of wisdom out there ?

PS I am still looking for someone to go golf with ! :D

Why restrict yourself to local school?

There are plenty of highly accredited or equally recognized Distance Learning programs with many major universities. Some do require a few weeks a year on campus, but most don't. It can broaden your circle of diversity, giveing your greater freedom of choice of major studies.

Of course this really is a two-edged sword; the great your freedom of choice, the more difficult to narrow down your desires. Good luck!! :D

The Fly Fisherman