Thai G/f Wants Fast Marriage For Work Permit, Ireland.

Hi all,

My first post.

(Great forum by the way).

I've known this Thai girl for over a year,

have visited Thailand 3 times and now

she is begging me to marry her so that she

can go to Ireland and work for a year.

She has a large debt she needs to pay

off and is sure she will lose her current

job soon and not easily find another.

(Her company could only afford to pay

her half salary in December and the banks are

giving her grief due to missed payments).

I do care about her and am quite happy

to continue the relationship with me visiting

Thailand and spending time with her for at

least another year before deciding to get

married.

I'd like to help her though.

Is there a guarantee that she'll be

able to come to Ireland and work if

we DO marry?

Are there any other solutions? I doubt

she could get a simple work permit and

visa without having a job in Ireland first.

I was wondering if anyone else has any

experience of this or would care to share

their opinions and thoughts on the matter?

:-)

Get yourself an effective translator and speak to all parties (friends, family, employer, bank, etc.)

Take notes as you go along.

After a couple of weeks, review your notes thoroughly and you'll probably find massive inconsistencies in her story. I hope I turn out to be wrong.

Good luck.

Is there a guarantee that she'll be

able to come to Ireland and work if

we DO marry?

Given your relatively short history It might be a bit more difficult than just getting getting married and her getting a work permit. Thats something the embassy's look out for. Not sure how strict Ireland is though, so better 'Scouser' answer this.

Are you in a proper relationship with the girl, or just friends? Have you had a lot of contact with her whilst you have been home? What job does she work now?

I'd avoid if I was you mate.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, we have a good relationship.

Have visited her 3 times and we've

lived together for a total of 5 months.

She has a professional job, degree

educated which I can vouch for,

but due to a failed business she is in

debt. Her present employer has problems

paying her which is only making things

worse.

I don't believe she would easily get

a visa, (I've been researching), as

the embassy is, as mentioned, wary

of such marriages.

I don't think she's trying to scam

me as I've told her how I feel

about the possibility of divorce

and me wary of splitting every

thing 50/50, etc. and she's even

agreed to a pre nup. So she's

little to gain from me if things

go pear shaped and anyway,

she knows I'm not well off

to begin with.

I think she's just desparate to pay

off a bad debt which is preying on

her mind. Even offered to pay ME

to do this.

I'm only considering it as a favor

to a good friend.

Have a quick scan through this Forum and count how many people have had Visitors Visas and even Settlement Visas refused by the Embassy because they, the Embassy, doubt the relationship is real.

It’s people like you who make the Embassy even more suspicious and in the long term adversely affect the chances of those who have a genuine reason for applying for a Visa.

Patrick

:o

Edited by p_brownstone

Have a quick scan through this Forum and count how many people have had Visitors Visas and even Settlement Visas refused by the Embassy because they, the Embassy, doubt the relationship is real.

It’s people like you who make the Embassy even more suspicious and in the long term adversely affect the chances of those who have a genuine reason for applying for a Visa.

Patrick

I agree,but lets give the guy credit for coming to TV for advice. It is SHE not he who is suggesting the scam.

I would determine what the real size of massive debt is, by our standards it may not be really much, also I would determine in fact who the debt is to (a reputable financial organisation or a loan shark) and how it was incurred ( you would be suprised at the number of Thai girls who have this same dilema through gambling.

If all these points satisfied me I would give/loan her the cash. Even if you lose it it's small change compared with marriage. Also if its all legit and she attempts to pay you back you know you have got a "good girl"

Thanks.

Good points.

I'm certainly not plotting a FAKE marriage.

We have known eachother for over a

year and are living together at the

moment.

SHE has suggested we get married

NOW, so she can work off her debt

in my country.

From my point of view, it wouldn't be

a scam/fake marriage, it would just

be too soon.

She may be trying to scam ME but

I don't know that for sure.

I'm 99.9% opposed to the idea. But

I wanted to give her good reasons why.

I've found out that there's no guarantee

that she can visit my home country let alone

work there if we do marry especially

if we have a relatively short history.

She says she is paying 90% of her monthly

wages to pay off loans. If it's true, that is just

not 'doable'.

I've managed to persuade her to talk

to her debtors which she is now doing.

Oxymoron,

I've thought of giving/loaning the money,

thanks.

If I had the money, I probably would not

give it to her. It may very well be a scam.

I'd wait another year before giving or loaning

that kind of money. It equates to 3 times her

annual income. She says she owes to various banks

and the debt comes from failed business loans.

Edited by mountainman

With such a short history and the fact that she has debts which I guess means no money in the bank, and certainly not a valid enough reason to need to return to Thailand (something the embassy will definitely look at) I would not expect her to be able to get a work permit, or even a visa based on your marriage. I think she needs to look at other options, perhaps a new job where she gets paid in full would be the first step.

Again, check with the 'Scouser' for full clarification, he is the expert here.

My youngest son was working in an Irish pub in Texas, and he met and impregnated an Irish girl. He was given a work permit in Ireland as soon as the baby was born. And they're still not married, five years later ! I'm not suggesting you do anything similar, but.....

My youngest twin daughter is now working in an Irish pub in Texas, and I advised her at Christmas to marry one of the Irish lads (but not get pregnant), and move to Ireland......after all the Irish who populated the USA, it's time to reverse the trend.

Can your Thai girl speak Irish yet? :o

People DO marry their friends as a favour. If you really like and trust this girl it is like giving her a helping hand (how else (except painfully) would they gain permanent/semi-permanent entry into your country)

Yes it sounds a little bit suspect but I have been in the same situation with a good and trusted friend, and although we haven't married yet I am still open to it should she wish to go ahead.

Yes you need to find out about the debt, if it's a gambling debt or a not so healthy debt then you should probably think hard about it. If it's a bank debt tell her to show you the records. But maybe she just wants a better oppurtunity to support her family in the future, maybe the debt she is talking about is that which is owed by most Thais and Asians to support their family in later life.

In any case just look out for yourself, get some REAL legal advice, make sure if something goes wrong (ie. she finds a new bloke and decides to nick off with him or she wants a divorce and kindly offers to take 50% of everything you own) you're covered and no loss to you or your family.

The other thing is her urgency, I can think of a few reasons why she might be pushing you along, the last not being that significant: 1. The debt is coming due soon, 2. She realizes you're not going to be a naive falang forever and wants to net you now while you still are, 3. She's about to turn 30 and wants to marry before then to save face??

Regarding visas etc I'm not sure but there is plenty of agents/agencies that make life a whole lot easier

Good luck!

Remember that if it ever gets out that you married her for the purposes of getting her into the country on false pretenses you could find yourself in a lot of legal hot water.

Aside from that, what if you meet a girl you really do want to marry and bring home but you have this "other wife" hanging over your head (even if you've divorced)? If you think the embassy will be suspicious of the first girl you sponsor, just wait until the next one.

Edited by cdnvic

Not sure how strict Ireland is though, so better 'Scouser' answer this.

From information I have received from friends in Ireland, it is just as difficult to get a visa in Ireland as in the UK when the application isn't as strong as it should be.

Not so sure about WP's though.

Good Luck

Moss

Regarding visas etc I'm not sure but there is plenty of agents/agencies that make life a whole lot easier

Treat this statement with extreme caution.

There are an awful lot of agents and Agencies out there, but that is exactly what they are, awful.

Certainly do not take any statement of guaranteed success as a measure of their ability, as there are no guarantees no matter how strong your application, if you feel you need to use an agent use one that is recognised by the authorities or by personal recommendation.

If you want one, a recommendation that is, PM and I'll point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

Moss

Remember that if it ever gets out that you married her for the purposes of getting her into the country on false pretenses you could find yourself in a lot of legal hot water.

Aside from that, what if you meet a girl you really do want to marry and bring home but you have this "other wife" hanging over your head (even if you've divorced)? If you think the embassy will be suspicious of the first girl you sponsor, just wait until the next one.

Good Luck

Moss