How Many Thais Does It Take......

Physherman

..... to help a stranded Farang on the road?

Our answer? EVERY SINGLE ONE THAT DROVE ALONG!!! I was delighted and amazed at the help we got from strangers! Not one car passed without stopping to ask if their help was needed. Not ONE! Everone wanted to help somehow! What a country!

My wife and I were driving on the Chiang Rai road yesterday when we had a bad tire blow out and slid off the road, halfway down an embankment. Thankfully neither of us was injured, but the car needed a tow truck to get back up on the roadway, and as it was my wife's car, it seems that it also needed a jack, a X-bar, and a spare tire.

Within minutes, there were at least 5 large SUV or pickup truck drivers, (all had families in their cars,) all with snatch-and-tow cables, running over, climbing under the car, hooking us up, while others were moving rocks and other debris out of the way. When the car was pulled back on the road, someone else climbed under the car, hooked up a jack and lifted while another removed the wheel bolts and the tire. (Wives were busy snapping photos of their husbands, boyfriends, and kids all helping!)

He then put the tire in the back of his car and drove me 25k into Chiang Rai where I had to purchase a new tire (the sidewall had blown out.) Five minutes later we were driving back again to our car. Arriving there, someone else took the tire out of the truck and put in back on our car. During this time away from our car, the Thai families had all set up a picknic in the shade to wait for us, chatting with my wife (whose passa Thai is nitnoy) and having a grand old time. Fortunately, I had asked the driver to stop in one other shop in Chiang Rai, so there were two cases of Chang to add to the picknic. I also topped of the driver's gas tank along the way, as well as getting names and addresses of all those who helped up. Not one would accept any money. :o

The bottom line is that I never even got my hands dirty. No one would let me help! We were 'inconvenienced' for less than 90 minutes, and made some new friends. I can remember waiting three hours for the Auto Club to show up to help me when a battery died 20 years ago in the US, and not a single car even slowed down despite my having the hood up.

I think I like this place! :D

The Fly Fisherman

Edited by Physherman

A few years ago I was touring around northern Thailand in a rented van. The driver was unfamiliar with mountain driving and burned out the clutch.

There we were, way out in the boonies, up near the summit of Doi Tung. It was late...about 10:30 in the evening. We thought we would be spending the night in the van.

It wasn't 5 minutes and a pick up happened along. Stopped immediately and took us to the neaest town, about an hour drive out of the mountains.

He refused payment....but allowed us to gas up his truck.

He returned to the van...the driver had stayed with it...and by some miracle foraged parts and fixed it well enough to get back to Bangkok.

An incredible night with the fantastic hill tribe people of Thailand.

Fantastic story. I'd love to see more of this sort of thing instead of all the moaning about what's wrong with Thailand.

My contribution:

A few years ago, I was working at a hotel in Phuket, doing scuba lessons in the pool. When I arrived in the company truck and was unloading my gear, some Thai Navy SEALs came over to have a look at the gear and have a chat. There was a foreign head of state staying at the hotel and they had been brought in for security on the beach and the sea approaches to the resort.

After I had finished with my pool session and was reloading the truck, I realised I had a flat tyre. The SEALs came over to say goodbye, saw the problem and leapt into action. I wasn't allowed to touch anything.

I've had similar kindness shown many times before and since, but these were hard-core military types, tough as nails, and they couldn't have been nicer people.

God I love this country.

Edited by dogblower

I'm happy to say that this story doesn't surprise me in the least... After more than 20 years of living here, I've seen and experienced helpfull Thais in many situations.. In fact, I tell friends that I'm treated better here than I ever was in the US. That's pretty much the reason I've never complained about Thais here in this forum.

Edited by Ajarn

Last week a jeep knocked my wife off her moped. Traffic was brought to standstill, why? well everyone got out of there cars/SUVs to help

Even managed to have a doctor on the scene who managed the crowd. Everyone wanted to help out in one way or another

You have to love this place, any other country people would just slow down to have a look

I had a similar situation happen to me several years ago. My wife and I and some friends were staying in a bungalow in the mountains. It decided to rain cats and dogs most of the night and woke up with a constant drizzle. We packed up our things and put them in the car, after we all got in I noticed the car seemed to be sitting at an angle. Looked out and saw one of the rear tires totally flat. The car was under a car cover but on a slope so when trying to back it out to level ground the front wheels just spun due to the whole area having turned into mud.

We all got out and tried to push it out without luck when some of the Thai campers who were packing up their stuff in their pickups came over. First one then two then six Thais came over and without saying a word started helping push us out. After getting it onto level ground, still thick with mud though, I proceeded to get the jack and lug wrench out. When I tried to figure out where to put it the Thais asked to let them try. The jack and lug wrench were totally inadequate, the jack sunk in the mud and the wrench bent in half. They told us to go back under the shed because it was too wet and cold and they would handle it.

One of them got in his pickup and drove off, must have been a long distance (being in the mountains) and returned about 30 minutes later. In the meantime my wife and friends were having a little mini party with the wives and families of the befrienders. He returned with a proper jack and lug wrench and finally able to get the back end off the ground. The lugs were on so tight that they had to stand on the wrench and jump up and down on it before they finally loosened.

I felt quite uncomfortable and helpless standing by and watching but they wouldn't let me help. Still wet and everybody getting muddy. After it was all done, they had my profuse thanks and I had to press to get the driver to except to pay for his gas. We gave them all the remaining beer that we had and food and they were happy with that.

All in all, one of the best shows of Thai generosity I've experienced, though there are many others, just not as amazing as this one.

Mines not a 'Farang in peril' story but shows the same generosity of spirit and the Thai's love of sanuk.

A couple of years ago just before Songkran my girlfriend and I were going up country for a couple of days in a rented jeep. Passing Tescos before we set off we decided on the spur of the moment to grab some western style picnic stuff, bread, some cheeses, ham and the like.

After driving for a couple of hours we pulled into a layby on the edge of a small village, spread our fare out on the bonnet and had just started tucking in when a lady came running out of her house shouting and waving her hands in a 'no, no' kind of way. We were a bit confused and thought we had committed some kind of taboo to have caused such a seemingly negative reaction. We were a bit taken aback but in fact the lady was only appalled that we were using the car as a table. She ushered us into her garden to a table beaming with smiles and urging us to enjoy the shade of her tree.

We thanked her of course and started tucking in, two minutes later a friend of hers joined us and we offered them our food. They wrinkled their noses up at such poor farang fare (I am sure blue cheese is not to village tastes :o ).

Off they went and 10 minutes later came back with plates of Thai food, fish, crispy pork, sticky rice and the so on. Then they sat with and we communicated in a mix of sign language, the odd words of each others language, granfd geticulations, smiles and laughs.

Attaracted by the commotion another lady came and they all spoke with great animation. She hared off on her motorbike returning with 3 other people and some homemade lao kao. They all joined in.

More food was produced and then one of the men produced a couple of bottles of Chang beer. That was soon polished off and I offered to buy some more and one of the chaps took 200 baht returning with more beers, more food and yet more people. Someone else produced another bottle of lao kao and yet more people arrived.

Within an hour or so of our stopping a party of at least 30 people was in full swing, people eating and drinking, kids running around, laughing and joking - it was that special blend of Thai hospitality and love of a party at its best.

Unfurtunately I could not fully join in as I have a lifelong aversion to drink driving and we still had about half an hours driving through the mountains to do. Nevertheless it was a wondeful moment and when we left it seemed the whole village was standing in the road waving us off with a glass in their hands. I am sure te party went on long after we left.

Just a few days later we took the decision to move permanently to Chiang Mai and the warmth of the welcome we received in that village was certainly a contributing factor.

Edited by miltonbentley

A few months ago my motorbike ran out of gas on my way back from Doi Ankhan - about 30 km from CM. Can't have pulled it more than 100 m before a pickup stopped and asked what was the problem. Well, we got that heavy stuff lifted up on the truck and they offered to drive me right home to where I live. Had a hard time convincing them that I honestly did prefer just to be taken to the next gas station ...

A few months ago my motorbike ran out of gas on my way back from Doi Ankhan - about 30 km from CM. Can't have pulled it more than 100 m before a pickup stopped and asked what was the problem. Well, we got that heavy stuff lifted up on the truck and they offered to drive me right home to where I live. Had a hard time convincing them that I honestly did prefer just to be taken to the next gas station ...

The Title of this thread would on the surface appear to be derogatory yet the subject matter is SO positive. Is there any way it can be changed to something like “how Thais have helped me” or “unselfish Thai help”

I kind of liked being surprised! :o

Maybe you like the surprise but I like the subject matter but believe the title is misleading and that it would be nice to have a POSITIVE title for a change.

If the OP would like it re-worded, just let one of the mods know, but it's his call.

Thai call it " Water heart " or " heart water "

basically mean people who Care .

In asia is more common that people stop to help .

but this usually become thin when people get rich and more education in City area

The only other country with people of the warmest heart is japan .

. beisde that is thailand , and burma , and laos .

but usually in out country .

the great country side seem to have some kinda effect on it people also ..

great to hear such warm story .

money don't away . solve problem . is the people that do it .

:o

i personally recive help from strange and in return i had help stranger before .

To add my two satang's worth:

We were driving back home after some rain last year, when we saw a group of cars parked up along what is normally a clear section of road, a pickup truck had come off the road and was on it's side in the muddy ditch. I parked and jumped out to join the men from the other five cars/trucks to lift, pull/push and yank the pickup back onto it's wheels. My very limited Thai asking if anyone was hurt (I carry a first aid kit) was met with smiles and "...no he OK but shaky.." responses, it was near our village and word came back via the Thai grapevine that '...farang stop help - good man...".

Muddy shoes a small price for some good farang PR, remember that it's a two way soi. :o

Edited by Cuban

The Title of this thread would on the surface appear to be derogatory yet the subject matter is SO positive. Is there any way it can be changed to something like “how Thais have helped me” or “unselfish Thai help”

I'm sorry if this offended you. It was not intentional, and if you like, I'd be happy to change it to “unselfish Thai help” or whatever you wish, if I knew how. To me, the label wasn't important; the content was.

The Fly Fisherman :o

Edited by Physherman

I love this thread. Woke up early, happened to look at it -- with some of the reluctance others must have felt, given the charmingly misleading title -- and now I'm sitting here happily at 5:30 in the morning with a warmed heart and a wet face.

Now this is the Thailand I know. :D All of the afor mentioned stories that is.Most of the things that people outside of the Kingdom hear about are 90% negitive.I have had my unfortunante times in Thailand but they are minamal and few,compaired to the crap that happens to us here in the USA.But the Thai people as a whole are just as these stories say.Very willing and helpfull.And yes always like to have a good sit down with food,drink and conversation. :o

If you spend most of your time at tourist magnets like Thapae Gate, Nana Plaza in Bangkok and the Walking Street in Pattaya (which I do), it is easy to forget how kind most Thai people are. I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of really nice Thai staff who bring their freinds and family around to help out or hang out in the store, so I'm always being reminded of the best side of Siam! :o

Likewise, I came to this thread to see what the latest joke must be...the Thai version of "how many _____ does it take to screw in a lightbulb" sort of joke...but was also pleasantly surprised. So I add my two cents as well...

My first month at my teaching post, a student ran into the back of my motorbike on a busy town highway, in a blinding monsoon downpour. We were both knocked to the pavement. Before I could stand up and pull my own motorbike upright, there were scores of Thai already pouring out of a nearby restaurant and a construction site to lend a hand. By the time they pushed our motorbikes to the side of the road and inquired about any injuries (only minor scrapes) there was a crowd of at least 30 Thais in the driving rain.

What's even more interesting (and something I had never experienced), they also held an impromptu "Kangaroo Court" to sort out damages, ensure payment, and send us on our way. It was decided I would pay 300 baht to the student who hit me, to repair the front of her motorbike. (!) I wasn't going to argue with the verdict of 30 judges standing around me, so I paid the poor student who hit me, and it almost seemed right since I was the "rich" university farang teacher (seems right in upcountry Thai thinking, too). Later I asked a Thai friend about the outcome. He assured me: "Oh yeah, good thing you didn't call the insurance or involve the police--or your life would have been complicated beyond measure for such a slight accident! The crowd was really looking out for your welfare!" OK. :o

Besides this incident, twice I've dumped my motorbike over in minor spills at a snail-pace speed (no injury, no damage), nevertheless Thai also ran from all directions to assist me. Amazing place.

...and one more.

Every day, I start to carry my computer bag and an armload of books up six flights of stairs from my office to my classrooms on the 6th level. There's an elevator ("lift" for you other guys), but I take the stairs for exercise.

However, it is virtually impossible for me to carry my belongings all the way. And not because I'm old and decrepit. Invevitably some Thai student (guys as well as girls) wrench my belongs from my shoulders/arms and insist on carrying them to the top, even if their own class is two or three levels below my destination. When I get to my class, students have already started the air-con, got the teacher's computer and monitors running, lowered the projection screen, and erased the whiteboard. All without my having ever asked.

I admit that by now, I take it for granted until I stop and think how "on my own" I'd be in my home country in the same circumstance!

Likewise, I came to this thread to see what the latest joke must be...the Thai version of "how many _____ does it take to screw in a lightbulb" sort of joke...but was also pleasantly surprised. So I add my two cents as well...

My first month at my teaching post, a student ran into the back of my motorbike on a busy town highway, in a blinding monsoon downpour. We were both knocked to the pavement. Before I could stand up and pull my own motorbike upright, there were scores of Thai already pouring out of a nearby restaurant and a construction site to lend a hand. By the time they pushed our motorbikes to the side of the road and inquired about any injuries (only minor scrapes) there was a crowd of at least 30 Thais in the driving rain.

What's even more interesting (and something I had never experienced), they also held an impromptu "Kangaroo Court" to sort out damages, ensure payment, and send us on our way. It was decided I would pay 300 baht to the student who hit me, to repair the front of her motorbike. (!) I wasn't going to argue with the verdict of 30 judges standing around me, so I paid the poor student who hit me, and it almost seemed right since I was the "rich" university farang teacher (seems right in upcountry Thai thinking, too). Later I asked a Thai friend about the outcome. He assured me: "Oh yeah, good thing you didn't call the insurance or involve the police--or your life would have been complicated beyond measure for such a slight accident! The crowd was really looking out for your welfare!" OK. :D

Besides this incident, twice I've dumped my motorbike over in minor spills at a snail-pace speed (no injury, no damage), nevertheless Thai also ran from all directions to assist me. Amazing place.

your lucky she wasnt drunkenly driving a bmw when -SHE- hit you it would have cost you about 30,ooo baht . not really in keeping with the topic i know :o:D