Bangkok holds five-day Pride fest to boost LGBTQ+ tourism

webfact

Posted (edited)

I certainly hope it's not about Thailand, but the US State Department has recently issued a travel warning around LGBTQ gatherings around the world, citing a risk of terror and/or violence.  I wonder if they know anything concrete?

Seems like this would be a good time for any US Embassy people to spill whatever they can...

https://aseannow.com/topic/1327587-state-department-issues-travel-warning-for-lgbtq-pride-celebrations/

Edited by impulse

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, webfact said:

LGBTQ+ 

Crikey, these acronyms keep growing, it's expanded, not enough letters, had to add a mathematical element. 

🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Crikey, these acronyms keep growing, it's expanded, not enough letters, had to add a mathematical element. 

🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈🌈🏳️‍🌈

I stopped adding at LGBT. People know what you mean regardless.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

noting they spend 40 times more than the average tourist.

this just sounds so silly. 

a normal tourist spends 400b on lunch means a lgbt tourist would spend 16000b. you got laughs mr. 

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

What a Gay day that will be

i can not imagine the fights that will occur there. My embassy has emailed warnings about it not to go. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stoner said:

a normal tourist spends 400b on lunch means a lgbt tourist would spend 16000b. you got laughs mr. 

"Normal" tourist?

Come on man. 

I agree 40 sounds like an error. Maybe 4 if that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, thesetat said:

i can not imagine the fights that will occur there. My embassy has emailed warnings about it not to go. 

Intentional distortion of actual news. The U.S. embassy has indeed warned that they have information that there may be terrorist attacks at some Pride Events globally. Nothing specific about Bangkok. People can decide for themselves about risk but many Pride Events are wisely paying more attention to security. If that isn't happening in Thailand, that's reckless.

In another thread, some were outspoke about LBGQT+ being pushed everywhere...   

This was met with accusations of bigotry...    So, at the risk of sounding like a bigot, is this not the very thing that alienates the LBGQT+ community from the general masses ???

... Why does there need to be a dedicated 5 days Pride-Fest just to boost tourism for the LBGQT+ minority - shouldn't Thailand be pushing to welcome ALL tourists and take measures to improve aspect of Thailand to boost tourism on a whole ??

I object to such notions of specifically marketing to the LBGQT+ community as it singles out their difference from the rest of society...    I object for the very same principles I'd object if Thailand had a 5 days 'hetro-fest' to boost tourism on married couples... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

Maybe they are referring to all the make up needed and amount of time to trowel it on.

And I thought Halloween was the end of October ... :cheesy:

"It's Raining Men" ... just in time for rainy season

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

This was met with accusations of bigotry...    So, at the risk of sounding like a bigot, is this not the very thing that alienates the LBGQT+ community from the general masses ???

... Why does there need to be a dedicated 5 days Pride-Fest just to boost tourism for the LBGQT+ minority - shouldn't Thailand be pushing to welcome ALL tourists and take measures to improve aspect of Thailand to boost tourism on a whole ??

I object to such notions of specifically marketing to the LBGQT+ community as it singles out their difference from the rest of society...    I object for the very same principles I'd object if Thailand had a 5 days 'hetro-fest' to boost tourism on married couples... 

Oh honey ... it's only one day ....

... oh wait, it's 'Pride Month"

Black History Month

Woman's History Month

When's 'white male month' ? ... never mind, that's racist and misogynist :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is already that anti LGBT topic going. Why do you need to infect this one too? Can't you just leave it alone? You don't have to participate. It's obvious you already dislike and resent LGBT gay people. DIdn't your momma ever teach you to live and let live? Every topic touching on LGBT is ultimately dominated by bigoted posts.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Oh honey ... it's only one day ....

... oh wait, it's 'Pride Month"

Black History Month

Woman's History Month

When's 'white male month' ? ... never mind, that's racist and misogynist :coffee1:

Start white male month if you want to. Who's stopping you?

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe they are referring to all the make up needed and amount of time to trowel it on.

And I thought Halloween was the end of October ... :cheesy:

"It's Raining Men" ... just in time for rainy season

More of your predictable negative stereotyping and bigotry. Really pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

"Normal" tourist?

Come on man. 

I agree 40 sounds like an error. Maybe 4 if that.

come on man what. i'm not the one who labeled the tourists in the first place into any category. should i have said cis gendered tourists ?  

there are tourist dollars nothing more. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, stoner said:

that song is so outdated. it should be its raining them. 

OK I'll give you that one as it was actually funny! Instead of the usual stupid and mean. 

Naturally it's not an original idea though:

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I deliberately didn't post in that topic specifically because I'm not anti LBGQT+ and it did seem a very 'anti-LBGQT+' topic to be contributing to, so I didn't want to give any oxygen to the discussion.

However, it does seems that any time someone posts in a manner which is anything other than gushingly positive towards the LBGQT+ community you become overly sensitive and are extremely quick to throw out accusations.

My whole point here is that the LBGQT+ is just people, like anyone else, no better, no worse... the idea that they are specifically coveted for tourism is as equally ridiculous to me as as specifically coveting married couples... when instead all tourists should be marketed towards and coveted. 

But...  you were unable to recognise or comprehend that point becase of your overwhelming instinct to straight into defend mode playing the hurt pony before going into attack mode... 

Seeking LGBT tourists is not ridiculous at all! You obviously know nothing about the economics of tourism. Targeting demographic groups that on average spend more or even much more is the name of the game! 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Seeking LGBT tourists is not ridiculous at all! You obviously know nothing about the economics of tourism. Targeting demographic groups that on average spend more or even much more is the name of the game! 

Why not seek all tourists...  why specifically LBGQT+ ????  (more on that below)

There are cries for equality - so why can't you accept it when someone suggest the LBGQT+ are treated equally....   and that means no special treatment and no negative treatment. 

Perhaps the reason there is some backlash by some against the LBGQT+ communities is because of over sensitive mouth pieces crying bigotry at those with a balanced opinion.

IF this article were about specifically coveting married couples, you might be amongst the first on this forum to cry discrimination - and if you were, on that point, I'd agree with you.

This idea that those of LBGQT+ spend more so attracting them specifically is flawed... it would be the same as specifically coveting 'Arab' tourists if they were found to spend more... and that is flawed...   

Thailand makes billions from back-packers... particularly as those who come here in their younger years, very often return for a holiday later on in life...      thus, attracting such tourists (back-packers) has more than a one off 'reward'...  as does attracting anyone who is likely to be a repeat visitor, the LBGQT+ might be repeat visitors, so attract them, also attract the bar 'mongers', many of them are repeat visitors... 

Thailand misses the point that if has a solid product - it will sell....  Thus, taking measures to make the product of Thai tourism attractive to all is where the attention should be - singling out the LBGQT+ may make people like Jing feel warm and fussy but his warm and fussiness comes with an element of hypocrisy - didn't you want equality ?

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How do the know how much LBGT spend vs non LGBT? Does it show in your passport? 

Imagine checking into a hotel or going shopping in Emporium and having to tick a 'check-box'...  to identify your sexual preference....    anyone would go nuts about that...   

So... how did they get this data that Jing is clinging onto so much to justify this 'special treatment' ???...    the answer is of course, someone made it up so they can have a 5 day parade. 

• Thumbs Up 2