Windows Xp Sold At Pantip Can't Be Updated

frenchFARANGbkk

Once you make a copy, its as good as original, coz what they do at Microsoft as well, i.e. using the copies of original.

With unique license keys and authentication to make sure pirated copies don't get free support updates and downloads, so no they aren't as good as the original. If you don't understand the program it's best you don't give unqualified guesses as advice.

As I said earlier, there are key generators for XP that allow "free support updates and downloads".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you make a copy, its as good as original, coz what they do at Microsoft as well, i.e. using the copies of original.

With unique license keys and authentication to make sure pirated copies don't get free support updates and downloads, so no they aren't as good as the original. If you don't understand the program it's best you don't give unqualified guesses as advice.

As I said earlier, there are key generators for XP that allow "free support updates and downloads".

Microsoft has the ability to revoke keys when it issues new service packs, as it has done in the past with some keys.

I have a question for you guys. This is the scenerio. There is a real, legal, legitimate Windows sitting on the store shelf waiting to be sold. Someone takes out the CD, makes a thousand copies of it, and then carefully puts it back in the box and reseals it so it does not look like it was tampered with. I am under the impression that it will be the first one who installs, registers, and authenicates this copy of Windows who will get Microsoft's seal of approval, the other 999 copies as well as the original one still still sitting on the store shelf will not. The only thing that is really important to Microsoft is that the product key has not been used by any other computer. Can someone tell me if I am wrong or not?

A lot has been said here, but I want to add one thing to the OPs question about updating windows.

It is getting more and more annoying to use pirated copies of Windows. All sorts of stuff requires a WGA check and pirated copies generally don't pass that.

Turning on auto updates should keep windows updating though, even pirated copies. As long as MS doesn't change its policy on that, pirated copies are updated automatically just as genuine versions are.

I can't personally verify that this is still working though since my laptop came with a genuine copy of XP :o

If you are buying a new laptop you can just ask for a real version, the OEM installed on the computer should be substantially cheaper than a Windows bought after-market. Around $50 or so.

Also keep in mind that Vista is around the corner.

I have a question for you guys. This is the scenerio. There is a real, legal, legitimate Windows sitting on the store shelf waiting to be sold. Someone takes out the CD, makes a thousand copies of it, and then carefully puts it back in the box and reseals it so it does not look like it was tampered with. I am under the impression that it will be the first one who installs, registers, and authenicates this copy of Windows who will get Microsoft's seal of approval, the other 999 copies as well as the original one still still sitting on the store shelf will not. The only thing that is really important to Microsoft is that the product key has not been used by any other computer. Can someone tell me if I am wrong or not?

Whoever is in legal possesion of the certificate of authenticity has the right to the license (may vary in some countries)

cao.gif

So if you have this authentic COA in your posession and proof of purchase you will have an indisputable claim to the software license if such a situation arose.

Thank you cdnvic, and I must say I have the upmost respect for you because you will only use legal software. I understand and fully agree that I would be able to legally force Microsoft to validate my Windows, but that really wasn't my question. Is the senario as I presented it possible? It is for this reason that I have never and will never buy software on a CD here in Thailand. The only computers I would ever consider buying here in Thailand are those that have Windows pre-installed by the manufacturer, such as my HP, and the only software I have installed on it are those I have either purchased in the USA or downloaded from the internet, such as the antivirus/antispyware that I use. Am I being paranoid?

Thank you cdnvic, and I must say I have the upmost respect for you because you will only use legal software. I understand and fully agree that I would be able to legally force Microsoft to validate my Windows, but that really wasn't my question. Is the senario as I presented it possible? It is for this reason that I have never and will never buy software on a CD here in Thailand. The only computers I would ever consider buying here in Thailand are those that have Windows pre-installed by the manufacturer, such as my HP, and the only software I have installed on it are those I have either purchased in the USA or downloaded from the internet, such as the antivirus/antispyware that I use. Am I being paranoid?

I think what you say is possible, but unlikely. Why go to all the trouble of cutting a box open, etc, when you could download a pirate copy with one click?

I dont think you are being paranoid; I mean, when in doubt (and in LOS there is room for plenty of this) do the safest option. And at the end of the day, you will be able to sleep better I thinks.

I think you stand more chance of having a bogus copy pre-installed in a locally built machine. If you buy from HP, Dell. or Acer though it won't happen. Buying a copy of Windows from a reputable chain store rather than a small shop should be just as safe.

I think what you say is possible, but unlikely. Why go to all the trouble of cutting a box open, etc, when you could download a pirate copy with one click?

Why? To get the product key/licence number. It is this number, and only this number, that distinguishes between legal and illegal software.

Our local (registered) Acer dealer, will install pirated XP if you don't wanna buy it, or if it comes bundled.

If they didn't, Acer (or perhaps only that local store) wouldn't be able to compete with the "open market".

I know this for a fact, as I've serviced a few of e'm.

Regarding pirated XP not passing validation.

Anyone who installs or changes their serial to an "student version" serial, will be able to

pass the WGA validation. (just like a legit version)

When these serials first started to be circulated around the net, (not so long ago), Chinese

users downloaded literally thousands of these "legit" XP's, or serials.

Up until today, MS has still not revoked them.

Student Version, is XP Pro without any limitations.

Why? To get the product key/licence number. It is this number, and only this number, that distinguishes between legal and illegal software.

Its a funny thing, software.

Ok I see your point... but...

Assuming he has in his hands the COA, CD, keys, etc, the irony is, the thief has still illegally stolen windows from the box. So he is still a thief just in a different way. It kind of defeats the purpose...

Our local (registered) Acer dealer, will install pirated XP if you don't wanna buy it, or if it comes bundled.

If they didn't, Acer (or perhaps only that local store) wouldn't be able to compete with the "open market".

I have to register a new Acer sometime this week. I'll ask their opinion of this. If it's true I won't be buying anything from them in Thailand. :o

I have to register a new Acer sometime this week. I'll ask their opinion of this. If it's true I won't be buying anything from them in Thailand. :o

I think it is true with most of the PC's available in Thailand, i brought a brand new HP desktop in 2005 from a HP dealer as i dont like built machines - i thought it would come with an OEM version of XP, it didnt and i ended up having to buy my own copy.

With millions of fake Windows in circulation Microsoft has a tough choice - if they update them, piracy won't stop, if they don't update, it's a big security issue for everyone including legit owners.

So far Microsoft only made it slightly more difficult for pirated versions. Critical updates still do not require validation, I believe.

Sites like Windiz Updates and Autopatcher do not require validation, and for them it's not illegal to do so, so far. Apart from updating pirated windows they provide other valuable services for genuine users - like bypassing Windows native update procedures and making the process more user oriented, bypassing IE (windiz won't work with IE at all), or providing new tools not included in older versions (autopatcher).

Let's see how Microsoft will go about Vista. So far it doesn't look like they thought it through to the last detail and changes in policies are very likely.

Windows XP, especially on pirated computers, still has a few years to go before people would really need to upgrade to Vista.

If you look at your HP model number, it will tell you if your computer came with XP preinstalled. When I bought mine about 2 years ago, if the model number ended in -d- then it came with Windows and if it ended in -l- it did not. The problem is that HP bundles XP with so much other <deleted> that I did not want. I would have much rather bought one of their models that did not come with Windows preinstalled, and just purchased my own legal Windows rather than having the store install a pirated one, which they would have gladly done, but I just do not trust any and all computer stores here, even the big reputable chain stores. I'm guess I'm just become a paranoid cynic.

Please enlighten me with your "valuable" information. I have never heard this thing before and you are the first one who is saying that.

Is there anyone on this forum who can comment on cdnvic's "qualified" guesses. :o

Only the original gives you a warm fuzzy feeling that you did the right thing...... copies don't give you that feeling. At least in my experience :o I don't care what the rest of you do.

I'd like to add that there is a lot of good freeware and 60day trial software that can be used legally, without having to pay for it... if you want to go down this road.

I've heard the Acer dealer stories before. Might also be a few posts on Thai Visa before about people buying notebooks with Windows installed only to find out later it wasn't genuine.

HP and Compaq are the most likely brands in Thailand where Windows OEM comes pre-installed. For notebooks and desktops the cut off point is around 25-28,000 baht, pay less than that and you don't often get an OEM version of Windows included. Easy way to be sure is look on the Thai website for the model you want and see what the manufacture says about it. Any doubts then give them a call and they'll soon tell you if there is some special edition, limited production, anniversary, promotional etc. model that isn't listed on the website. Once you hit 60k you almost always get the real thing.

Apart from Windows, for the average home user do you really need to buy pirated software? There is so much good freeware available that unless you have some special need you can almost always find free software to do the job. Apart from a couple of cheap games the only software l've needed to buy recently was Akronis True Image as it does what l want to do better than the few freeware versions but for me that's a one off.

As an experienced IT consultant designing a vista/longhorn system at this time , i can tell you that pirated copies of vista will be almost impossible.

The os will degrade when it's not activated , shutting out the possibility to start programs, untill only the activation tool and the Ie browser is left. Activation will only succeed for a few times on different hardware.

NO Open licenses are available anymore , even large company pc's need to be activated.

If i were you i would start investing in Microsoft Stock :o:D

As an experienced IT consultant designing a vista/longhorn system at this time , i can tell you that pirated copies of vista will be almost impossible.

The os will degrade when it's not activated , shutting out the possibility to start programs, untill only the activation tool and the Ie browser is left. Activation will only succeed for a few times on different hardware.

NO Open licenses are available anymore , even large company pc's need to be activated.

If i were you i would start investing in Microsoft Stock :D:D

I have a copy and I have activated it. :o I do not use Windows, but just to see how strong Microsoft anti-piracy things are.

Need my help to activate ur vista? :D

If i were you i would start investing in Microsoft Stock :D:D

I have a copy and I have activated it. :o I do not use Windows, but just to see how strong Microsoft anti-piracy things are.

Need my help to activate ur vista? :D

Its a pre-release version. The Betas and RCs will all activate until April or May.

If I wanted to - how can I "legitimize" my current version without reformatting?

Jack

You can contact Microsoft on their web site and they will sell you a key to legalise

your existing pirate copy.

However buying the Asian version and reinstalling will be cheaper.

It is true- my GF just purchased an Acer laptop from Thailand's flagship department store, andthey were more than happy to install a copied Windows XP and a multitude of other applications for her (MS Office, etc).

I wouldn't blame Acer 100% for this...the laptop came out of the box with Linux installed. The same laptop is available with a genuine OS for a considerably higher price (10,000 THB) The store employees were the ones willing to break the law and install the copied OS.

One could question Acer as to why they sell laptops without a Genuine OS in Thailand, knowing all too well that the people here will install a Copied OS. But- if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to price competitively and probably wouldn't sell any laptops at all.

I tried explaining to her about the benefit of a Genuine OS, and showed her the sticker on the bottom of my laptop. I explained that the software would not update itself, and that if she ever took the laptop to another country, customs inspectors could inspect her laptop and question the lack of a sticker proving that the OS is Genuine.

She doesn't see any logic because she doesn't plan to take the laptop out of Thailand. also, the Windows Genuine Advantage is indeed working, and receiving updates.

Dad always told me to choose my battles- so I'm not gonna push this one. After all, it is her laptop, not mine. I think that I wil have the last laugh eventually though, when the updates stop working, or the OS becomes corrupted!

Dad always told me to choose my battles- so I'm not gonna push this one. After all, it is her laptop, not mine. I think that I wil have the last laugh eventually though, when the updates stop working, or the OS becomes corrupted!

I know. I just draw the line by not helping with pirated stuff. If it breaks they're on their own.

I will install Linux for them though. :o