Reccomendations of UK shipping companies

I had a quick look and could not find many posts for shipping of household goods to Thailand from UK.

I know there's loads of companies on net so looking more for personal recommendations.

Had one quote so far for £4900 for a 20' container.

Edited by oldwelshman

The key people really, are the the agents who will handle things at this end, deal with Thai customs etc. Packing up and shipping from the Uk is a pretty straightforward process, and there are many to choose from, and they will all do that part of the job fine: whoever you go with will need to work with a Thai agent to handle things here.  

I did things slightly the other way around. From what I had heard there was really only one agent ,here , that I wanted to use and that was Transpo/ Asia Tigers. So I started there, went to see the head of inbound and asked her who she would suggest in the U.K. She had quite strong views as to who was good, and bad! And

gave me, as far as I remember, 3 names that she felt would do the job well, and I ended up choosing one of them. If you know who you you are going to use at the Thai end maybe go talk with them, see if they recommend anyone.

4 hours ago, wordchild said:

The key people really, are the the agents who will handle things at this end, deal with Thai customs etc. Packing up and shipping from the Uk is a pretty straightforward process, and there are many to choose from, and they will all do that part of the job fine: whoever you go with will need to work with a Thai agent to handle things here.  

I did things slightly the other way around. From what I had heard there was really only one agent ,here , that I wanted to use and that was Transpo/ Asia Tigers. So I started there, went to see the head of inbound and asked her who she would suggest in the U.K. She had quite strong views as to who was good, and bad! And

gave me, as far as I remember, 3 names that she felt would do the job well, and I ended up choosing one of them. If you know who you you are going to use at the Thai end maybe go talk with them, see if they recommend anyone.

That's the type of thing I need feedback on as I know it is easy to get ripped off. My partner is moving back with me she has been in UK for 14 years now so we should be duty free if agent does their job. Do you know if they charge duty on 2nd hand used diy tools? lol or should I label boxes as books.

4 hours ago, oldwelshman said:

That's the type of thing I need feedback on as I know it is easy to get ripped off. My partner is moving back with me she has been in UK for 14 years now so we should be duty free if agent does their job. Do you know if they charge duty on 2nd hand used diy tools? lol or should I label boxes as books.

It is also very good to know that Thailand and their "import-guys" (police), has their own agenda to what regards what is what. Of course in their own favour.. I mean we western guys has our rules in our resp. countries, what is personal effects and what is not, normally almost most of the goods in a home is considerated to be personal effects.

Here in Thailand of course they have found their own ways of "filling their pockets", so they consider almost NOTHING to be personal effects, more than maybe bedlinnen, towels and clothes... Rest of it including furniture and tools and whatever, will be costing you some money to import to Thailand..

In general a rule in this proffession is that you NEVER shall write any contens ON the boxes, this only informs the "bad men" (thiefs) what´s in there...... Write only at most a reference number relating to your packinglist nothing more on your boxes.

Glegolo

i brought my 20' container over a few years ago, my container arrived at the house in Thailand with the same seal unbroken that was put on it by the driver in the UK.

do not use any non Thai names on the paperwork, ship it all in the wifes name,

only put stuff from one room in each box, and label with the contents, and a consecutive number, use this consecutive number on your contents list. it makes it easier to unpack.

I can not remember who i used at each end, but if i find some paperwork i will post details.

I used https://www.movecorp.co.uk/ (based near Birmingham) when I shipped all my household goods door to door from Telford, Shropshire to Chonburi in Thailand (in my Thai wife's name) about six years ago.

Cost about £3000 for a 20 ft container. For that they wrapped and packed everything and completed the (comprehensive) inventory, arranged a Thai agent to organise everything with customs etc on arrival at in Thailand then delivered the container to my house with an army of Thai workers who unpacked everything and put it all in the correct rooms etc. They even assembled all the beds etc. A first class service.

The original seal was still on the container, nothing was disturbed by customs in the container and the agent said they would have probably just assessed any import duty from the inventory. They allowed my tools and garden equipment  etc. but I had to pay duty on two sets of golf clubs (not household goods apparently) and one LED TV (I brought more than the allowance) but duty on all three amounted to just over 1000 Thai Baht, so hardly a fortune.

It was six years ago so I would imagine the price would have increased though.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:27 AM, sumrit said:

I used https://www.movecorp.co.uk/ (based near Birmingham) when I shipped all my household goods door to door from Telford, Shropshire to Chonburi in Thailand (in my Thai wife's name) about six years ago.

Cost about £3000 for a 20 ft container. For that they wrapped and packed everything and completed the (comprehensive) inventory, arranged a Thai agent to organise everything with customs etc on arrival at in Thailand then delivered the container to my house with an army of Thai workers who unpacked everything and put it all in the correct rooms etc. They even assembled all the beds etc. A first class service.

The original seal was still on the container, nothing was disturbed by customs in the container and the agent said they would have probably just assessed any import duty from the inventory. They allowed my tools and garden equipment  etc. but I had to pay duty on two sets of golf clubs (not household goods apparently) and one LED TV (I brought more than the allowance) but duty on all three amounted to just over 1000 Thai Baht, so hardly a fortune.

It was six years ago so I would imagine the price would have increased though.

imove international:

Our quote based on 250 cubic feet is £1,325.00 (NIL VAT) for shipment via a groupage service (share a container) door to door. 

anglo pacific:

to final residence Prachin Buri, Thailand for the sum of £1,799.00

movecorp:

Quotation calculated on a volume of 310 cubic feet (8.78 cubic meters)

Total Cost: £1,725.00 door to door service

Had one of over £4k from Bournes and awaiting quote from Asian Tgers