Do you plan to upgrade to Windows 10?

connda

Upgrading your computer's Operating System: Windows 10 or something else?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/10/2017 at 12:36 AM, kekalot said:

IT professional for 20 years now upgraded to windows 10 on day one.. not a single problem on my 5 computers at home likely by now over 50 other systems built or upgraded to windows 10

just disable cortana and all the crap during install if you can read.

also, everyone with Windows 10 should download Classic Start Menu from http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

as the regular metro user interface is trash

my friend decided to keep Metro and every time he can't find something he asks me to remotely assist him and I get a headache just thinking about it.

Exact same experience, 

I upgraded every computer in my house to windows 10 (the pre edition)  about  half a year before it was even launched to try the new features for free and it was basically a 1 click installation 

(I disabled all the crap I have no use for like  personal assistant,  cortana, voice commands and all that) 

2 years and x months later I still  haven't had a problem, I'm automatically on the latest version every month or so it installs a few updates in the middle of the night 

Really can't understand the drama people have with a simple upgrade..... 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Exact same experience, 

I upgraded every computer in my house to windows 10 (the pre edition)  about  half a year before it was even launched to try the new features for free and it was basically a 1 click installation 

(I disabled all the crap I have no use for like  personal assistant,  cortana, voice commands and all that) 

2 years and x months later I still  haven't had a problem, I'm automatically on the latest version every month or so it installs a few updates in the middle of the night 

Really can't understand the drama people have with a simple upgrade..... 

Windows 10 is excellent, though I do that their are some legitimate privacy issues assocaiated with it.  But the reasons for the drame in this thread doesn't seem to be about that but because someone:
a) staked their manhood on some other product being better.

and
B) validates their world view by doing google searches on phrases such as "problems upgrading to Windows 10".

7 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Yeah, so if System Restore don't work then you simply go to one or more of

• sfc /scannow
  • System Repair
  • Repair Reinstall.

In that order. And then: "Ahhh. It's Back!!!" Time for a cold one. :thumbsup:

Regarding the possibility of System Restore not working after a failed upgrade to Win10, for that reason I saved an image of the boot drive of each machine that I was upgrading to an external hard drive before starting the upgrade.  However I didn't wind up using any of those images.

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

Windows 10 is excellent, though I do that their are some legitimate privacy issues assocaiated with it.  But the reasons for the drame in this thread doesn't seem to be about that but because someone:

and
B) validates their world view by doing google searches on phrases such as "problems upgrading to Windows 10".

The issues of Windows 10 "spying" on you can be easily disabled by using of the third party applications DonotSpy10 etc which disables all the keylogging and microphone listening and a whole plethora of other things which could be construed as "spying" or data mining for profit might be a better term to use

But if you think Google and Apple  is not also "spying" on you when you use your smartphone then nothing I could say will put your mind at rest anyway

19 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

The issues of Windows 10 "spying" on you can be easily disabled by using of the third party applications DonotSpy10 etc which disables all the keylogging and microphone listening and a whole plethora of other things which could be construed as "spying" or data mining for profit might be a better term to use

But if you think Google and Apple  is not also "spying" on you when you use your smartphone then nothing I could say will put your mind at rest anyway

Windows 10 spying is already being written into psychiatric evaluation guides.  Its becoming a huge problem for some.

5 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Pretty naive thinking that third party applications or the win10 privacy settings are going to stop microsoft from spying on you.

11 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Pretty naive thinking that third party applications or the win10 privacy settings are going to stop microsoft from spying on you.

Catching Microsoft doing sneaky stuff is a sport with thousands of players. Not easy for them to go beyond what they have declared.

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

That’s a good tip, thanks. 

I’m not so worried about the NSA or even Microsoft spying on me but that there might be something in Windows that, despite me using a VPN,  would allow my financial institutions to deduce that I am not inside the USA.   As an example of that problem on other platforms, in Android if the apps that you run have access to “Location Services” then they can figure out your true location regardless of anything you do to cover your tracks with a VPN.

Edited by suzannegoh

7 hours ago, maxpower said:

Catching Microsoft doing sneaky stuff is a sport with thousands of players. Not easy for them to go beyond what they have declared.

Not easy ? Maybe , but with the NSA already inside , again pretty naive trusting them with your data. Like bitlocker , or other encryption that SSD & HDD manufactors provide , worthless .

11 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Not easy ? Maybe , but with the NSA already inside , again pretty naive trusting them with your data. Like bitlocker , or other encryption that SSD & HDD manufactors provide , worthless .

It depends what adversary you are trying to protect against.  You're not going to stop the NSA, but locking down Win10's privacy options might be enough stop your financial institutions from figuring out that you are outside the the US, and using bitlocker or trucrypt will almost definitely stop the Somchai who stole your laptop from accessing your data.

7 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Funny, I ran across this a week or so ago in /r/linuxmasterrace:

linuxpenis.png.2b7712dadfc916514c91492b1d46c463.png

and

Good point. I think what we got here is a case of the ol' choice-supportive bias:

In cognitive science, choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected. It is a cognitive bias. For example, if a person chooses option A instead of option B, they are likely to ignore or downplay the faults of option A while amplifying those of option B. Conversely, they are also likely to notice and amplify the advantages of option A and not notice or de-emphasize those of option B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

The OP, by his own admission, "doesn't like change." But that just meant the progression of the Windows interface. Actually changing over to Linux from Windows is a much bigger change in most ways.

So, what probably happened—just reading between the lines here—was that the OP naively installed Win 8 (or bought a machine w/ it pre-installed) w/o preparing for the change and then opened the Start panel to find OMG! Tiles, Charms, Corners, Metro UX, Windows Store etc. The horror! The horror! The immediate consequence of that trauma must have been soiled knickers if not an adult diaper. But then it was followed by a PTSD that left the OP helpless even to Google properly and find Classic Shell and UXTheme Multi-Patcher to slay the monster and return the look back to a Win 7 or perhaps Win 98! I mean, everybody was talking about it and solutions were in place--just as third-party utilities have always arisen for Windows enhancement. Hence the abandonment of Windows; an obsession with the Windows interface; finding only out-of-date negative articles about the latest Windows; claims of widespread losses in productivity; and dark mutterings about the very future of Microsoft itself! Maybe like poor IBM—look what happened after it messed up the perfectly good Selectric.

37 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

The OP, by his own admission, "doesn't like change." But that just meant the progression of the Windows interface. Actually changing over to Linux from Windows is a much bigger change in most ways.

So, what probably happened—just reading between the lines here—was that the OP naively installed Win 8 (or bought a machine w/ it pre-installed) w/o preparing for the change and then opened the Start panel to find OMG! Tiles, Charms, Corners, Metro UX, Windows Store etc. The horror! The horror! The immediate consequence of that trauma must have been soiled knickers if not an adult diaper. But then it was followed by a PTSD that left the OP helpless even to Google properly and find Classic Shell and UXTheme Multi-Patcher to slay the monster and return the look back to a Win 7 or perhaps Win 98! I mean, everybody was talking about it and solutions were in place--just as third-party utilities have always arisen for Windows enhancement. Hence the abandonment of Windows; an obsession with the Windows interface; finding only out-of-date negative articles about the latest Windows; claims of widespread losses in productivity; and dark mutterings about the very future of Microsoft itself! Maybe like poor IBM—look what happened after it messed up the perfectly good Selectric.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the learning curve for Win10 was quite short for me.  I felt comfortable with it almost right away. 

21 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Read carefully. I said, Done (probably, lol). A reasonable likelihood is quite good & convenient. In the event it doesn't work, same as those arcane Linux commands might not work—after you look them up on a working machine and type them in—then Windows gives you other non-arcane options of course.

But here we have to pause and wonder how is it possible that a self-professed expert, a Microsoft System Professional and a Microsoft System Engineer and an Information Technology / Computer Technology professional with 24 years of experience . . .  our company's liaison with our Microsoft Premier Support contacts," just isn't aware of any other options. :shock1: If you don't know what you're doing and you don't find out, then of course "Opps! And It's Gone!!!" Suddenly we gotta question whether "I have the background and experience to back up what I'm saying" isn't mere bluster.

Yeah, so if System Restore don't work then you simply go to one or more of

• sfc /scannow
  • System Repair
  • Repair Reinstall.

In that order. And then: "Ahhh. It's Back!!!" Time for a cold one. :thumbsup:

I won't; I been there. If you don't know much about Windows solutions then Linux solutions start looking better of course. If your backup files disappear under Windows, they can just as well disappear under Linux. That happens when you don't know what backup really means or perhaps you just forgot where they are. So let's not mislead our esteemed forum members on that point. Me, I've never had any backup files disappear except on old CDs. Back when CD-RWs came out, they were supposed to last, like, forever. Ha. We all know better now. However, turned out I didn't need that old stuff anyway. :smile:

I've a repair flashdrive.  And. AOMEI one key recovery and AOMEI backupper.  I back them up to an extension drive on my pc and to a portable drive that I keep in a safe.  The One Key makes a partition on your hard drive that is the first boot every time so you are always asked bot to Win 10 or restore.    Windows 10 also backs up to my 2TB extension drive.  I really don't know why I don't shut off the Win 10 backing up as I never use it as it fouled up a couple of times a few years ago.  I break my computer once a month which my wife thinks is funny. I've quite a bit of experience re loading everything and that's one of the reasons I bought an SSD drive and all the extension and portable ones are USB 3.0.  Since I'm running four computers it's really not a problem if one is out for 8 hours loading up overnight.  The last time it was removing websearch (not asked in fine print - total sneak attack) toolbar that I got downloading a TV recommended program.  Rule number one is don't trust anything anyone tells you or like me use AOMEI or some other quick fix. 

Edited by amvet

18 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Regarding the possibility of System Restore not working after a failed upgrade to Win10, for that reason I saved an image of the boot drive of each machine that I was upgrading to an external hard drive before starting the upgrade.  However I didn't wind up using any of those images.

Amazing how some people can't grasp the wisdom of this.

I try to do weekly image backups of my C: partition.  Sometimes I mess things up when installing stuff or tweaking, my installation turns to doo-doo, and the trauma is minimalized by doing a restore.  (Word to the wise: avoid downloading from KaranPC website!)  Of course I have to try and salvage what stuff I've saved since the last bu, like bookmarks.  Try to save as little as possible to C:

From my point of view it is necessary to run Windows on a multi-partitioned drive.  The C: partition should be around 100Gb to handle the OS and your installed programs, especially disk hogs like MS Office (XP was the last Win release that ate up less than a gigabyte).  Use other partitions to save your work to.  Yeah, if your disk crashes there goes the whole thing, but a more likely hazard is your Win installation will go weird.  E.g., one day you find your Start panel refuses to come up; after playing around with it for a little while trying to get it back and no luck, just reach for your latest bu and restore.

For my data partitions I have an external HD that I back up to not with image software (like I do with the C: drive) but with a program like Beyond Compare.

There is something I do that I don't recommend, and that is putting my installed programs on another partition.  I have my reasons and won't explain here.  But as some programs will insist on writing data to somewhere under C:\users\<yourname>\AppData things can get sloppy when your C: drive is restored and out of sync with program.

I haven't read through all of the responses on this thread, but I haven't noticed any of the burning religious fervor that usually surfaces in these discussions.  Yet.  It's just an <deleted> appliance, fer chrissake...

With Win 10 Macrium Reflect is the way to go.  For partitioning Aomei is good.  I still like gparted though, it's like a solid, old monkey wrench, but (last I looked) it doesn't have the sensitivities Win 10 needs for those strange little partitions it requires.

I don't know about this, but I would hope that with XP there are still 3rd party firewall and AV programs (and maybe anti-malware?) that will run, and hopefully be able to load the latest AV updates.  There is an XP community out there running it as a small-footprint OS inside of VMs.

18 hours ago, BuaBS said:

I guess you should  just manufacture your own hardware and software to make sure they're not spying  in you... 

There wasn't a choice for "I hate scumware MS, but don't know enough about computers to go with anything but the OS that the shop puts on my computer when I buy it".

I was OK with XP. Did everything I needed a computer to do. Then I bought a new computer and they put 7 on because I refused to allow them to use garbage 8. That was OK, but my latest buy I had no choice but 10, which is as crappy as crappy ever was.

One of the greatest cons ever perpetrated on the public was MS being allowed to force us to abandon a perfectly satisfactory OS for what we want, because scum company MS wants to get rich.

Hopefully there is a circle of hell reserved for all MS management.

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

I try to do weekly image backups of my C: partition.  Sometimes I mess things up when installing stuff or tweaking, my installation turns to doo-doo, and the trauma is minimalized by doing a restore.  (Word to the wise: avoid downloading from KaranPC website!)  Of course I have to try and salvage what stuff I've saved since the last bu, like bookmarks.  Try to save as little as possible to C:

From my point of view it is necessary to run Windows on a multi-partitioned drive.  The C: partition should be around 100Gb to handle the OS and your installed programs, especially disk hogs like MS Office (XP was the last Win release that ate up less than a gigabyte).  Use other partitions to save your work to.  Yeah, if your disk crashes there goes the whole thing, but a more likely hazard is your Win installation will go weird.  E.g., one day you find your Start panel refuses to come up; after playing around with it for a little while trying to get it back and no luck, just reach for your latest bu and restore.

For my data partitions I have an external HD that I back up to not with image software (like I do with the C: drive) but with a program like Beyond Compare.

There is something I do that I don't recommend, and that is putting my installed programs on another partition.  I have my reasons and won't explain here.  But as some programs will insist on writing data to somewhere under C:\users\<yourname>\AppData things can get sloppy when your C: drive is restored and out of sync with program.

I haven't read through all of the responses on this thread, but I haven't noticed any of the burning religious fervor that usually surfaces in these discussions.  Yet.  It's just an <deleted> appliance, fer chrissake...

With Win 10 Macrium Reflect is the way to go.  For partitioning Aomei is good.  I still like gparted though, it's like a solid, old monkey wrench, but (last I looked) it doesn't have the sensitivities Win 10 needs for those strange little partitions it requires.

I don't know about this, but I would hope that with XP there are still 3rd party firewall and AV programs (and maybe anti-malware?) that will run, and hopefully be able to load the latest AV updates.  There is an XP community out there running it as a small-footprint OS inside of VMs.

Amazing how some people don't understand that not everyone that uses a computer knows how it works or understands geekspeak.

I don't understand anything you wrote after the first line. Might as well be writing in Klingon for all that I know about computers.

I've said it before, but the computer companies that makes a computer as easy to use, and problem free as a DVD recorder will make gazillions from people like me.

NB I don't have to go out and buy a new DVD recorder every few years because the company that makes them isn't trying to make it not work any more like filth MS.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I've said it before, but the computer companies that makes a computer as easy to use, and problem free as a DVD recorder will make gazillions from people like me.
NB I don't have to go out and buy a new DVD recorder every few years because the company that makes them isn't trying to make it not work any more like filth MS.

That, in a nutshell, is the argument for buying a Mac. Why didn't you go that route?

5 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Hard to know who to root against in the case - the giant monopoly or EU bureaucrats who seek to micromanage everyone's bowel movements.

Chosing between 2 evils .:smile:

Fair to assume that the EU privacy rules still aren't strict enough. How can they be , when all the EU countries themselves must still be able to spy on their citizens.

Too expensive.

I agree that they are too expensive but if you're not a tech savvy person and you have that much resentment towards Microsoft, maybe your needs could be met by buying a 5 or 6 year old Mac. Second hand 5yr old Macbooks sell for pretty low prices, sometimes even as cheap as a brand new Windows laptop.

Chosing between 2 evils .[emoji2]

Fair to assume that the EU privacy rules still aren't strict enough. How can they be , when all the EU countries themselves must still be able to spy on their citizens.

It's a shame that Europe doesn't have a viable tech industry because it means that we'll never find out if they'd be as tough on their own tech companies as they are on Redmond & Silicon Valley.