Getting married soon, need a few things comfirming

mike1983

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, happylarry said:

Nobody has yet mentioned about getting your passport translated and stamped at the MFA. This is also now required at most amphurs. I expect some are behind the times and dont ask for it but it is a requirement and you may as well do it at the same time as your affirmation.

HL

Was never a requirement for my marriage or any other official business. As usual, Thai offices make things up to suit themselves. Just check at the office before turning up to the official appointment to find out what that THAT office requires. I required half of what some offices do to get divorced.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

C'mon now. I have never had to pay "tea money" to any Thai official for anything.

The funniest one ever was when I was collecting all the papers for getting married in Bangrak. (Bangrak, how romantic.....).

My wife needed some kind of certificate of good behaviour from the police station.

We had to pay tea money to get it. 555 good behaviour Thai style 555.

And strangely enough, this didn't bother me at the time, I was actually thinking "only a few hundred baht for a great story to tell back home".

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Now I'm divorced, I certainly have the rest of my life to think about how foolish I was thinking that my beloved was different. The long con is a wondrous thing.

I don't think they start out with a 'long con' in mind.

It's just peer pressure from their friends and solicitor (her new best friend) that drive the greed.

If  mine hadn't been so unpleasant at the end, I would have never moved out here, found a new wife, and had new kids, so really her being a total shit forced  my jump into a very nice new life.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

It's just peer pressure from their friends and solicitor (her new best friend) that drive the greed.

You are talking about farang women right?

Mentioning "solicitor"is a give away.

Whereas if you had mentioned "family" your post would have been about Thai women.

In French it is called "passe par tout".

On 10/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, InMyShadow said:

Confirm she learnt English in university and not a bar!!!

Why?

I would think  a lot of posters met their ex wife in a pub or bar in the 'old'country'.and the said ex had as many pricks as the proverbial second hand dart board too.

This isn't the 19th century any more...'Ooh my Liverpool/London/New York/Sydney lass was special...she wasn't like the other slappers.....".

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, oldhippy said:

The funniest one ever was when I was collecting all the papers for getting married in Bangrak. (Bangrak, how romantic.....).

My wife needed some kind of certificate of good behaviour from the police station.

We had to pay tea money to get it. 555 good behaviour Thai style 555.

And strangely enough, this didn't bother me at the time, I was actually thinking "only a few hundred baht for a great story to tell back home".

????? My wife certainly didn't need a certificate of being "good" when we got married. Possibly something arranged between the office and the plod.

Like I said, different offices make things up to suit themselves.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:09 AM, tryasimight said:

Why?????

Or perhaps more correctly why not?

IMO because there is no need to. In LOS they have the wonderful village wedding, the marriage you have when you don't want something legal.

In NZ being married imparts no legal benefit, so if trying to bring a Thai partner back there is no benefit by having a legal document. Perhaps marriage does impart some benefit in other countries, so that would be a consideration if hoping to take her home with you.

The only other reason I can think of is if intending to have children.

Otherwise, marriage has no benefit for the farang in LOS and is ALL to the benefit of the Thai partner.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

If  mine hadn't been so unpleasant at the end, I would have never moved out here, found a new wife, and had new kids, so really her being a total shit forced  my jump into a very nice new life.

I could have written that. I think it's a story often told in LOS.

Our first year really was bliss, but once we moved in with the family it all changed. I blame the sister, that was trying to get her to divorce me almost from day 1. My mistake was being generous before I met the family. Once they realised that was just trying to make a good impression and not an on going ATM thing, the fix was in.

I was lucky though. It never got as far as lawyers with us.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Our first year really was bliss, but once we moved in with the family it all changed. I blame the sister, that was trying to get her to divorce me almost from day 1.

Your mistake was moving in (or even close) to the family.

I've always kept an 8 hour bus trip between me and them.

8 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Your mistake was moving in (or even close) to the family.

I've always kept an 8 hour bus trip between me and them.

So did I.

Then her son (26) gave up his job in BKK and moved in with us.

Nobody ever asked me about it, not my wife, not the lazy son.

I managed to get him out, but he still visits 3 times a day (to be fed).

Thai wifes are no better or worse than Farang wifes , but unfortunately they always have at least 1 profiteering family member. And family comes first.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

So did I.

Thai wifes are no better or worse than Farang wifes , but unfortunately they always have at least 1 profiteering family member. And family comes first.

I had MIL try to move in with us, I stopped giving money and paying bills, then she moved out a week later. White wife didn't have sex with me Thai wife does, that's an important difference IMHO.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I had MIL try to move in with us, I stopped giving money and paying bills, then she moved out a week later. White wife didn't have sex with me Thai wife does, that's an important difference IMHO.

Why did you then not have sex with others in Farangland?

22 hours ago, oldhippy said:

So did I.

I assume you give her money for food and pay the electric bill. You could try deducting the estimated cost of his food and power usage from whatever you give her. Once it impacts her income it may produce a change.

I had the same with the rat bag nephew turning up every weekend. I took to locking my food away to stop him eating it and she had to pick up after him, but it annoyed me immensely. Only solved by divorce.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I assume you give her money for food and pay the electric bill. You could try deducting the estimated cost of his food and power usage from whatever you give her. Once it impacts her income it may produce a change.

I had the same with the rat bag nephew turning up every weekend. I took to locking my food away to stop him eating it and she had to pick up after him, but it annoyed me immensely. Only solved by divorce.

Actually, I stopped long ago giving my wife a weekly amount for buying food.

It stopped when her daughter's bf turned up to ask more.... I didn't even know that part of the money was going to her daughter. Ever since then my wife has to ask for money every time she goes to the market, and in the supermarket I go with her.

So 19th centurry..... but stupid people are not going to outsmarten me again.

As for her son. A trip to Nepal sealed his fate. When we came back he had finished all my European food in the freeze, and let the garden go wild (I had given him money for Xmas + money for taking care of the garden).

I stay for our beautifull big jungle garden, our mini swimming pool and admittedly the sex - can't be too choosy at 66.

Family First is what causes the breakdown of many marriages here.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, oldhippy said:

It stopped when her daughter's bf turned up to ask more.... I didn't even know that part of the money was going to her daughter. Ever since then my wife has to ask for money every time she goes to the market, and in the supermarket I go with her.

As for her son. A trip to Nepal sealed his fate. When we came back he had finished all my European food in the freeze, and let the garden go wild (I had given him money for Xmas + money for taking care of the garden).

I stay for our beautifull big jungle garden, our mini swimming pool and admittedly the sex - can't be too choosy at 66.

Never mind the garden and swimming pool, I give it all to have sex with someone that liked me, which was why I got married in the first place. Now I'd be happy to have sex with any woman that didn't look like my MIL last time I saw her.

:smile:

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never mind the garden and swimming pool, I give it all to have sex with someone that liked me, which was why I got married in the first place. Now I'd be happy to have sex with any woman that didn't look like my MIL last time I saw her.

TBH , I really do not want to read about your sex life or desires 

On 10/18/2017 at 9:22 AM, oldhippy said:

Your last sentence; this should be mandatory information at any embassy here when the man/woman goes there to get papers legalized in order to get married with a thai. 

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't care if they like me ............ not  looking like my MIL (former or current) is good enough.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 11/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, InMyShadow said:

Confirm she learnt English in university and not a bar!!!

quick story; chatting to a friend of the gf at the time, who had been for a job where english speaking was a requisite, she had a certificate confirming she had graduated from university as an english major. she had not been successful in the interview, which was obviously carried out in english, and was really annoyed she had not been given the job. 

the interesting part is my gf had had to explain this story to me because the girl could't actually speak english, despite this she thought she should have been given the job simply because she had a piece of paper that said she had, somehow, obtained a degree in english language.

7 minutes ago, samsensam said:

quick story; chatting to a friend of the gf at the time, who had been for a job where english speaking was a requisite, she had a certificate confirming she had graduated from university as an english major. she had not been successful in the interview, which was obviously carried out in english, and was really annoyed she had not been given the job. 

the interesting part is my gf had had to explain this story to me because the girl could't actually speak english, despite this she thought she should have been given the job simply because she had a piece of paper that said she had, somehow, obtained a degree in english language.

Quite often their Thai English TEACHERS can't speak a word of English either.

Both of my kids high school English teachers (Thais) couldn't speak one word of English.

On 10/14/2017 at 3:59 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

whats with all this urge to keep getting married dont you lot ever learn anything from the first marriage? its a CON:clap2:

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

whats with all this urge to keep getting married dont you lot ever learn anything from the first marriage? its a CON:clap2:

I quite like being married, been married for 38 years now (not all to the same woman).