Retirement Visa

I am going to Bangkok to get my first Non-Im O in Thailand, first one got in UK. I want to qualify on the fact I rent my house in the UK over 65,000 per month. Will they accept copy of my rental agreement as proof of income. ?

I am going to Bangkok to get my first Non-Im O in Thailand, first one got in UK. I want to qualify on the fact I rent my house in the UK over 65,000 per month. Will they accept copy of my rental agreement as proof of income. ?

Visas are issued outside Thailand. Usual procedure is to obtain a NI-O Visa, in UK in your case. This is valid for 3 months. Once in Bangkok apply to extend the visa for one year on the basis of retirement.

You'll have to present documentation from the British Embassy in Bangkok verifying your monthly income. It's my understanding that the British Embassy requires proof of that income (unlike the US Embassy).

Problem. My experience a year ago was that Bangkok Immigration wanted 800,000 baht in a Thai bank to issue a one year extension for the purpose of retirement. They would not accept any monthly income to meet the finanacial requirments for the extension.

Question is, is this still the case in Bangkok?

My understanding is that in the recent past Pattaya and Chiang Mai have been more flexible in this regard.

-redwood

Going to the intent of the regulation regarding proof of financial solvency during retirment and the meeting of day to day living expenses through sources outside of Thailand, it would seem a lease is an insufficient guaranteed source of retirement income for immigration purposes. If the lessee doesn't pay rent, moves out, house is vacant, your funds stop, ie. not guaranteed income.

Pension income is a tough one to qualify under with Thai Immigration because of the guaranteed nature of the pension. Proving that the pension is "guaranteed" for the comming year is what the Emabassy letter is all about. Even Social Security recipients are given a tough time qualifying if the pension is the sole qualifier. Many glitches are possible in receiving your pension in Thailand. If the pension plus perhaps 400k baht in the bank can be done, its a lot easier.

Thus, most get the 800,000 baht together and place it in a Thai bank, then all goes smoothly.

Once again, you are faced with the discretion of the Thai Immiegraion Officail and what he is willing to do in your case. The longer you are in Thailand, the more flexible they become. Even the official website speak of persons who have a sensitivity to cold and are long time reidents being given leeway.