More Than 100 Cambodian-Americans Rounded Up, Now May Face Deportation

geovalin

“In the vast majority of cases, we are talking about people who came to the United States as children fleeing genocide with their families.”

Dozens of Cambodian-Americans who have established their lives in the U.S. may be forced to leave a nation they consider home.

More than 100 Cambodian-Americans have been detained across the country within the past month and could be facing deportation, according to a recent statement from the Southeast Asia Resource Action Center, or SEARAC. The organization says most of the individuals being detained are refugees, and many have green cards. 

The incident is likely a response to the Cambodian government’s pushback on the U.S. deporting Cambodian refugees here who have few or no ties to their home country, experts say.

read more https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cambodian-american-detained_us_59e77960e4b0d0e4fe6c97fd

2 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Really ? Cambodia is detaining innocent foreigners just because the monkey who controls the country has decided it ?

Did you read the story???????????????????? Or are you on drugs???????????????

Or you trying to get a post in fast to earn 'approvals' ???????????

6 hours ago, wombat said:

given the drama south of the border and the cries of racial profiling i think whoever signed off on this has phycological problems.

yup.   seaweed between the ears.

They are not Cambodian-American since they are not US citizens. Some are Cambodians who got their green cards through refugees court and count as legal US residents now. They are not illegal, but I guess something is not right with immigration system in US now. 

OMG I'm afraid that they don't let me go back home, since my skin is tan by sun now. ?

Edited by Foozool

Unfortunately we have no information as to the types of problems these 100 people have had with law enforcement and the SEARAC paints a rosy picture of people with past problems. Considering the number of Cambodians who immigrated to the USA since the Vietnam War, it does not appear that the Immigration Service has specifically gone after Cambodians as such.  Seems odd to me that since SEARAC is painting a picture of long term residents many of whom came as children, why have they not applied for citizenship?  There is obviously more to the story that Huffington Post seems willing or able to investigate.  It's an article short on input from Immigration Service sources and heavy on information from SEARAC.  Each one of these people currently detained will have an immigration hearing and if Huffington Post was interested it could pursue the real truth behind why these 100 or so are deemed worthy of deportation.  The problem with most news stories today is that someone sits at a desk, googles information and does a quick interview and writes a story.  No investigative journalism these days so we are left with next to no information on which we can rely.

10 hours ago, Trouble said:

Unfortunately we have no information as to the types of problems these 100 people have had with law enforcement and the SEARAC paints a rosy picture of people with past problems. Considering the number of Cambodians who immigrated to the USA since the Vietnam War, it does not appear that the Immigration Service has specifically gone after Cambodians as such.  Seems odd to me that since SEARAC is painting a picture of long term residents many of whom came as children, why have they not applied for citizenship?  There is obviously more to the story that Huffington Post seems willing or able to investigate.  It's an article short on input from Immigration Service sources and heavy on information from SEARAC.  Each one of these people currently detained will have an immigration hearing and if Huffington Post was interested it could pursue the real truth behind why these 100 or so are deemed worthy of deportation.  The problem with most news stories today is that someone sits at a desk, googles information and does a quick interview and writes a story.  No investigative journalism these days so we are left with next to no information on which we can rely.

Yeah but at least they repeat that "no information" so often that before long be are able to believe it:wink:

Edited by ThaiFelix

21 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Did you read the story???????????????????? Or are you on drugs???????????????

Or you trying to get a post in fast to earn 'approvals' ???????????

If he keeps using the term monkey when obviously referring to Asians  I doubt he will be around long enough to get many approvals 

On 10/27/2017 at 7:02 PM, Trouble said:

quite.

Green card holders (I am one) are specifically told that it is likely to be rescinded if they commit a criminal offence.  100 people of Cambodian origin represents significantly less than 0.005% of such people in the USA.  So if a few of these 100 had/have a green card without specific information to the contrary I would be inclined to think they represent the odd bad apple one gets in every population.