Extension for a 35 day visit on UK passport

Sorry if daft question but couldn't easily find an answer to this precise question.

Friend is travelling with me to Thailand on a UK passport in December. My return ticket is 29 days due to visa requirements but his Thai wife booked a 35 day trip. No problem for her as using her Thai passport (as opposed to her UK one), but a potential issue for him?

Are the days of paying a 5 day overstay when arriving at Immigration over?

Will he be allowed in and then can do a "border run"?

Or does he need to apply to UK Embassy whilst still on UK for a five day extension?

Seems all a bit of a faf just for 5 days

Any answers (on topic) much appreciated,  thanks.

13 minutes ago, Gordons said:

Are the days of paying a 5 day overstay when arriving at Immigration over?

No. You can pay the overstay fine at the airport on the way out. 500 baht per day (2,500 baht).

Will he be allowed in and then can do a "border run"?

Yes he will be allowed in. Airport immigration won't have a problem. The problem is more with the airlines. Some airlines won't let you board, if you don't have a visa and your stay is over 30 days, unless you have an onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days.

He could do a border run, but he doesn't need to. He could get a 30 day extension of stay from immigration for 1,900 baht.

Or does he need to apply to UK Embassy whilst still on UK for a five day extension?

There is no extension he can apply for.

The best option would be to get a Single Entry Tourist Visa (£25) from an embassy/consulate before leaving the UK. That will give him 60 days on entry and avoid any problems with the airline. He'd have no overstay fines, border run expenses or extension of stay costs.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for informative reply.

Re the 30 day extension he can apply for at immigration- is that at the arrival immigration counter? That's obviously a lot cheaper than the 500 bht/day overstay payment when leaving, but both options will still potentially be torpedoed by the airline if he doesn't manage to get on the plane in the first place!

So the 30 day extension whilst still in UK sounds best for only £25. Do you know how long that process usually takes or can do online? 

I may do this next year also to avoid rushing back.

Many thanks

Edited by Gordons
makes more sense

14 minutes ago, Gordons said:

Re the 30 day extension he can apply for at immigration- is that at the arrival immigration counter?

No. It would have to be applied for at the immigration office that covers the area he's living in.

15 minutes ago, Gordons said:

Do you know how long that process usually takes or can do online? 

It can't be done online, but it can be done by post to the Thai Embassy in London (only). They usually turn around the application within a week. He could apply at any of the consulates too, but that would have to be in person.

• Thanks 1

Depending on where your friend lives, the best way of getting the tourist visa (which allows a 60-day stay) is often in person at one of the honorary consulates . There are a number in the UK (where does your friend live) and they will issue the visa while you wait. The honorary consulate may charge a bit more than £25, though the Cardiff consulate only charged that a couple of years ago when I received a visa within 20 minutes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordons said:

It's Scotland. Is the nearest one Glasgow? Or Cardiff :sad:   

The nearest is Glasgow. From some areas, Liverpool or Hull might merit consideration. Cardiff is probably not the most convenient option for someone in Scotland :smile:!

• Haha 1

I've been told by a friend tonight who had to deal with this last year, that you can apply by post to Glasgow (downloading the form online). A week turnround roughly. So that should be just fine! Should have done myself for this time! 

28 minutes ago, Gordons said:

I've been told by a friend tonight who had to deal with this last year, that you can apply by post to Glasgow (downloading the form online). A week turnround roughly. So that should be just fine! Should have done myself for this time! 

I do not think this is correct. I think all postal applications must be made through London, and this has been true for at least a couple of years.

EDIT: See http://www.thaiconsulscotland.org.uk/visa/ for the rules on visa applications at the Glasgow consulate.

Edited by BritTim
  • Thanks 1