Dual-nationality Baby Travelling With Uk Father

Hello Hello

I will travel to Hong Kong with my 3 month-old son very soon - my Thai wife will remain in Thailand. I am a UK citizen and my son has Thai and UK passports. I have read that Thais holding a foreign PP can enter/leave thailand on their thai PP and enter/leave foreign countries on the foreign PP with no problem. I just want to make sure that there will be no special issue due to the age of my son and the fact that he will have to go through thai immigration with me (ie we both go through the foreign desk or we both go through the thai desk). I know that there is no problem entering and leaving Hong Kong on our UK passports, this question is only about my son leaving and then entering thailand on his thai passport.

Thanks !

SD

Thanks for your replies, but I was asking about the procedure on leaving and entering thailand, not Hong Kong. Will I go throught the "thai passports" desk or the "foreign passports" desk ? Presumably it doesn't matter but just in case I thought I would ask. Also, would the thai immigration officer have anything to say about a male UK PP holder (without a thai visa in his passport) travelling out of thailand with a very small baby (3 months) on a thai passport ? I would take the thai birth certificate showing me as the father and a copy of my girlfriends ID and maybe also show my son's UK passport (although I believe that dual nationality in thailand is an ambigious concept being neither officially accepted nor officially not

accepted and so I was slightly worried about that too)

Thanks for your replies, but I was asking about the procedure on leaving and entering thailand, not Hong Kong. Will I go throught the "thai passports" desk or the "foreign passports" desk ? Presumably it doesn't matter but just in case I thought I would ask. Also, would the thai immigration officer have anything to say about a male UK PP holder (without a thai visa in his passport) travelling out of thailand with a very small baby (3 months) on a thai passport ? I would take the thai birth certificate showing me as the father and a copy of my girlfriends ID and maybe also show my son's UK passport (although I believe that dual nationality in thailand is an ambigious concept being neither officially accepted nor officially not

accepted and so I was slightly worried about that too)

Dual Nationality is accepted by Thai Immigration see this response to a question in the Phuket gazette with an answer from Immigration police

http://www.phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=935

As for which gate to enter Thailand, I really dont think it matters they are all from the same crew, sometimes my wife goes through the foreigners as the Thai gate isnt manned sometimes I have been called to the Thai gate as there is a queue at the foreigners.

Your question about you exiting with a Thai baby is interesting, I dont have an answer as even though you have documents to prove you are the father without some permission from your wife you could be fleeing the country. When applying for Visas a lone parent travelling with child usually has to show they have permission from the other partner to travel unless they have sole responsibility for the child. I recommend you ask at an immigration office before turning up at the airport.

I asked a similar question to the immigration officer, and "no problem" was the answer.

My kids exited Thailand with their grand father without any question asked (the kids are a bit older).

Better prepare a bit of paper work, just in case.

With a baby, I would expect an immigration officer to come to you and give you priority in any queue ... that's what happened to me every time (when they were younger ...).

I would definitely suggest traveling with a letter from the mother's baby saying you have permission to travel with the child. It is becoming more common for immigration officers to ask for proof. The last time I left China with my 5 month old child, immigration wanted to see proof I was allowed to leave the country. I am an American and my wife is Chinese. I didn't have a letter, but luckily my wife was still at the airport, so I called her and she was able to meet with immigration and tell them she knew I was leaving the country. I know you are not talking about China, but I just want to say this this is getting more common! Might as well be perpared...

I was advised by immigration in Don Muang to obtain a letter of consent from the

mother.

This is issued in the local ampor office.....free of charge.

They have,nt got a template.

So I,d advise you to bring an outline of what You need.

Make sure they enter your passport number.