Water Storage Tank

soap

my village as mains water and for most of the time, in the day time

we have no problems with pressure etc,our problem is that they turn the water

off from about 11pm to about 6am

i would like to know the best way to go with regard to a storage tank to obtain water during the night or if low pressure occurs.

i presume for a one storey house i can erect a platform with the storage tank on top,if so how far off the ground does the tank need to be before the pressure is good.

or can i leave the tank on the ground and use a pump to relay the water from the

tank to the house if so what size pump/make do i need for good pressure.

any tips appreciated

my village as mains water and for most of the time, in the day time

we have no problems with pressure etc,our problem is that they turn the water

off from about 11pm to about 6am

i would like to know the best way to go with regard to a storage tank to obtain water during the night or if low pressure occurs.

i presume for a one storey house i can erect a platform with the storage tank on top,if so how far off the ground does the tank need to be before the pressure is good.

or can i leave the tank on the ground and use a pump to relay the water from the

tank to the house if so what size pump/make do i need for good pressure.

any tips appreciated

When you choose a tank, don't take the cheap blue one. The sun shine through it and creates alges (don't know how to spell but it is this green shit).

You don't need a very strong pump.

If you choose the platform solution, check if the village-water has enough pressure to go up to the tank on the platform.

Goood Luck!

:o:D :D

I live about 6 km outside the village and we have water most of the time except around January to March.

My storage is too big for your purposes but basically I have 26 concrete storage tanks that you can buy anywhere for about 800 baht. Each one is 2,000 litres of which about 1,700 litres are usable.

20 of them are interconnected for input and output, 4 are back ups and the other 2 are on the far side for our staff house.

The water goes from the main into the tanks which are connected in 5 banks of 4 and I run 1 bank at a time until the level drops towards the bottom, then I just switch to the next bank.

All the dirt from the mains settles in the bottom of the tanks so the water is usually fairly clean before it goes into a well pump (mine is a Mitsubishi WP205, cost about 5,000 baht) through 2 filters and then around the system.

We have 3 houses here and anywhere from 7 to 12 or more at times and a lotof water is used which is why I store so much.

You could build a platform and put a tank up on it but it is probably cheaper and certainly easier to build on ground level and pump the water around which will also give you a good pressure for a hot shower.

PM me if you need any more information.

best thing is to keep a large rubbish bin fulla water with a plastic ladle in your bathroom/toilet to use when the mains water is not available...the washin' up in the kitchen can wait...

no muss, no fuss, tanks or pumps an' most thai homes have them, or a built in trough arrangement...

Well you are in slightly different set up becuase you got mains:

But Stainless steel tank is the best way to go 2000 litre tank cost about 12000 bht 1600 litre about 10500 bht slightly raised,are you in house or bungalow? The reaos I ask is gravity feeding

pumps dont cost much from 2000 bht upwards even cheaper I think

Fit a domestic constant pressure water pump between a tank and

your house. These are available at Lotus, Carrefour etc. Price dependant on quality.

A 0.5 - 1.0 kW would be enough for a single house.

Constant Pressure Pump - Typical

Tank can be mounted on a low base 1 foot or so high. You should also

fit a "float valve" at the tank inlet in order to not overflow the tank.

Since most ? pumps have a built in non-return vavle in the inlet you will

probably not need another external unit.

flow would be town supply ---> float valve at tank top ---> tank ---> pump near tank base ---> house.

Naka.

Edited by naka

thanks for the tips

my house is a bungalow and we allways keep a large bin full of water in the toilet.

i will go with the tank just off the ground connected to the pump,just one more question,

do you think has naka posts that a A05-1.0kw would be enough for a single house or has billd766 posts a mishubishi 2.05 wp would this be for a 2 storey house rather than a bungalow.

thanks

thanks for the tips

my house is a bungalow and we allways keep a large bin full of water in the toilet.

i will go with the tank just off the ground connected to the pump,just one more question,

do you think has naka posts that a A05-1.0kw would be enough for a single house or has billd766 posts a mishubishi 2.05 wp would this be for a 2 storey house rather than a bungalow.

thanks

The reason why I use a biggish pump is that we have 3 houses, one of which is 2 stories that are spread over about 80 metres so the pump has to do that much more.

However as I learnt years ago something that is smaller and runs at 80 or 90% is not really as efficient as a bigger on running at 50%.

Naka is probably more correct in your situation than I am, however in my situation I need a bigger pump.

The water pressure you want will have a lot to do with the size pump you should buy. The smaller pumps as commonly sold here have lower pressure that the larger size. We always used a Mitsubishi 405 which had about 35PSI for two story house but were not happy with shower pressures (water heaters use very restricted coil) so changed to 60PSI water cooled type and have been very happy with the results over the last two years. But for basic use a tank/float valve/small pump is all that you really need.

We have an underground tank and I'd build it like that again simply because the water is cool, unexposed to heat and sunlight. I really appreciate cool showers with the hot weather most of the year. I think above ground tanks are an eyesore, unless they can somehow be hidden in a useless corner.

While we're at it, aren't above ground tanks harder to fill when pressure is really low? It is illegal to have a pump pulling from the main.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Soap.

The following .pdf files show :-

1. Typical pump characteristics and performance data.

homepressuresystemsbrochure.pdf

2. Typical installation info.

l100154_a4.pdf

With centrifugal pumps the motor size has practically nothing to do with the maximum

elevation/pressure. Rather a larger pump/motor will move a larger volume.

simply put it all comes down to "work done".

From pdf #1. you can see from the "pump curves" graph that even the smallest pump

will deliver almost 40 litres/minute up to a maximum head of 10 meters.

This is probably enough for the average family house, and a 1.0 kW would be more than ample.

Naka.

Edited by naka

We have an underground tank and I'd build it like that again simply because the water is cool, unexposed to heat and sunlight. I really appreciate cool showers with the hot weather most of the year. I think above ground tanks are an eyesore, unless they can somehow be hidden in a useless corner.

While we're at it, aren't above ground tanks harder to fill when pressure is really low? It is illegal to have a pump pulling from the main.

Obviously we disagree about cold showers (have five waters heaters to prove it) but the warmer water is also useful for normal washing machine use. I also would never trust an underground tank in Bangkok or like place where the normal ground wanter is sewage. You can easily hide a tank with trees but SS is not normally considered an eyesore. As for filling if the normal pressure can reach an upper floor of a house should not have any problem on a ground level tank. For those on rooftops a pump up might be required. I have never seen any law you could not pump from mains here (half the city has been doing it as long as I can remember). Bad idea and unsafe yes - but "law"?