Japanese man sought in rape and murder of tourist 10 years ago

Jonathan Fairfield

Japanese man sought in rape and murder of tourist 10 years ago

n1.jpeg

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) plans to seek help from Japanese authorities to hunt down a Japanese man in regards to the rape and murder of a Japanese tourist in Sukhothai 10 years ago.

Although the DSI had checked the DNA of 300 people living near Sukhothai Historical Park, no one matched a DNA sample extracted from semen found on the body of the victim, Tomoko Kawashita, 25. Her body was found inside Wat Saphan Hin in the park compound on November 25, 2007. There was physical evidence indicating that she had been raped.

Although investigators collected DNA samples at the time, no progress was made and the DSI took up the case six years ago. DSI chief Pol Lt-Colonel Paisit Wongmueng said the DSI had recently received a tip-off that a Japanese man had been in the area 10 years ago, which made him a person of interest in the case. 

Phaisit said the DSI would seek cooperation from the Japanese Embassy to contact Japanese authorities to seek a DNA sample from the man to compare with the sample from the victim. The man was not identified in the statement.

Phaisit was speaking to reporters after the woman’s parents met him and the investigative team to be briefed on the progress of the case. The parents spent two hours talking with the DSI chief and the team. Phaisit said DSI officials had sought to collect evidence in Sukhothai after assuming responsibility for the case six years ago. 

He also admitted that the six-year lapse in time had affected the evidence. He said the victim’s parents had asked the DSI to increase the reward to encourage people to come forward. He added that he was not sure if the reward would be increased from the current Bt1.1 million. 

The DSI has put up Btt500,000, local police Bt500,000 and the parents recently offered Bt100,000. The father of the victim, Yasuaki Kawashita, told reporters after the meeting that he had asked the DSI to increase the reward and put up the Bt100,000 because he was concerned that Bt1 million was not enough. 

The father added that he hoped the DSI would arrest his daughter’s murderer soon.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30332892

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-30

Maybe if DSI didn't restrict its search for suspects to Japanese nationals who visited the Sukothai area in the last 10 years, they might actually stumble upon a useful lead . . . but, that might be a Thai citizen which would adversely impact the Japanese tourism market.  So much easier to blame a Japanese national for this horrendous crime.

A police source said the murder weapon may not be a fruit knife as reported in the earlier investigation, but could be a bush knife s the cuts to the victims throat were deep.  More than two hundred people were interviewed in connection with the case including workers in the park, security guards and residents. Robbery was also believed to be a possible motive for the crime as some of the victims valuables were missing.

http://www.samuitimes.com/japanese-ambassador-raises-concerns-safety-japanese-tourist-conclusion-2007-murder-japanese-tourist/

Murder weapon a bush knife, possible robbery motive - it doesn't sound like a crime that another Japanese national would have perpetrated.

Edited by zaphod reborn

5 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

Maybe if DSI didn't restrict its search for suspects to Japanese nationals who visited the Sukothai area in the last 10 years, they might actually stumble upon a useful lead . . . but, that might be a Thai citizen which would adversely impact the Japanese tourism market.  So much easier to blame a Japanese national for this horrendous crime.

Although no one has yet been blamed for the murder .

8 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

how is it that the dsi still has enough dna samples after 10 years when thry could not even keep enough DNA  from the 2 burmy men within a year? 

I do believe that the DNA samples from the B2 were deliberately made unavailable 

On 30/11/2017 at 12:33 PM, Tilacme said:

Have to say that the Japanese father putting up 100,000 baht reward after 10 years is a little and too late.

Yes, it is definitely the parent of this murder victim not putting up a reward, to encourage the dsi to do their job, that  is to blame for no progress in 10 years. 

Edited by Bluespunk

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes, it is definitely the parent of this murder victim not putting up a reward, to encourage the dsi to do their job, that  is to blame for no progress in 10 years. 

Staying on your positive note, thanks trying to associate me with your spurious leaps of the imagination.

2 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Staying on your positive note, thanks trying to associate me with your spurious leaps of the imagination.

Going to have to explain that to me.

As far as I can see, my post was saying the dsi need to do their job and it is not the fathers role to offer rewards to encourage them to solve a murder.

Something your post appears to imply.

Edited by Bluespunk

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Going to have to explain that to me.

As far as I can see, my post was saying the dsi need to do their job and it is not the fathers role to offer rewards to encourage them to solve a murder.

Something your post appears to imply.

So what your saying is that it is wrong for a victims father to post a reward at any time as the local constabulary should sort it out.

If that is your point then I would disagree.

4 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

So what your saying is that it is wrong for a victims father to post a reward at any time as the local constabulary should sort it out.

If that is your point then I would disagree.

My point is that the victim's family should not be responsible for setting rewards to get the dsi to do their job.

Or more specifically, it is wrong to blame the family for failing to do so or for not offering enough.

Edited by Bluespunk

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

My point is that the victim's family should not be responsible for setting rewards to get the dsi to do their job.

Or more specifically, it is wrong to blame the family for failing to do so or for not offering enough.

So who do you feel should be responsible for setting rewards?  

Or are you saying that rewards are wrong and matters should be left to good police work?

5 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

So who do you feel should be responsible for setting rewards?  

Or are you saying that rewards are wrong and matters should be left to good police work?

Hmm, lets revisit my post, because I'm sure I was focusing on it being wrong to blame the victims family for not offering a reward or for not offering enough.

Yep, that's what I said.

There should be no need for rewards to be offered, but it happens.

However my point is blaming the victims family for not doing so or implying they are being parsimonious when they do so, is wrong.

Edited by Bluespunk

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Hmm, lets revisit my post, because I'm sure I was focusing on it being wrong to blame the victims family for not offering a reward or for not offering enough.

Yep, that's what I said.

There should be no need for rewards to be offered, but it happens. 

However my point is blaming the victims family for not doing so or implying they are being parsimonious when they do so, is wrong.

I revisited your op and subsequent and you are defiantly saying that a family reward should not be necessary.

In this case the father decides after 10 years that a reward of 100,000  would be a good idea.  I repeat that imho that is too little to late.

If you don't agree then you are either very poor or not a father.

It is usually very difficult to extradite a Japanese citizen from that country-- it is also somewhat difficult to extradite a non Japanese citizen--and as America found out a few years back with Bobby Fisher, its also difficult to try to get them to extradite one of your own citizens and send him back to you.

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

How about the DSI serving up the prime suspect re Kirsty Jones?

Tragically, the Kirsty Jones rape and murder has not only become a cold case, it`s now become frozen solid, falling down a black hole.

Unless by chance there is a major breakthrough, a witness comes forward, then sadly the family of Kirsty Jones are never going to receive justice. The rapist/s and murderer/s are still out there. I feel the same will happened in this Japanese girl case. Thailand, the hub of cold cases.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

The victims family is only adding to an existing B1m reward.

1 hour ago, Tilacme said:

I revisited your op and subsequent and you are defiantly saying that a family reward should not be necessary.

In this case the father decides after 10 years that a reward of 100,000  would be a good idea.  I repeat that imho that is too little to late.

"I repeat that imho that is too little to late".

You're repeating something that is wrong, again.  There's now a reward of B1.1m

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You suspect wrong, just as you keep wrongly repeating that the reward of B100k is too little too late.  Can't you read?  The reward is B1.1m

If that's a stand up for your buddy, it's a bit lame.  The father contribution was 100pan. Can't you read?

2 hours ago, Tilacme said:

There was already a 1 million Baht reward money in place

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, Tilacme said:

If that's a stand up for your buddy, it's a bit lame.  The father contribution was 100pan. Can't you read?

"If that's a stand up for your buddy, it's a bit lame".

What does that mean?

"Can't you read?"

You know I can, you just don't like to admit it

On 12/3/2017 at 8:37 AM, thesetat2013 said:

how is it that the dsi still has enough dna samples after 10 years when thry could not even keep enough DNA  from the 2 burmy men within a year? 

I just knew it was only a matter of posts before someone changed this topic into a " the b2 are innocent " codswallop .

They are guilty as sin. They have been convicted in 2 courts. 

Nothing to do with this case. 

Stay on topic.