Senior monk bailed on sexual abuse charge, arrested for embezzlement

snoop1130

Senior monk bailed on sexual abuse charge, arrested for embezzlement

By Kesinee Tangkhieo, 
Kornkamol Aksorndej 
The Nation

77bbf4af86563223a7cba1a775f294b9.jpeg

The police Counter Corruption Division (CCD) appeared at the Criminal Court on Thursday to arrest a senior monk as soon as he was released on bail after being charged with sexual abuse.

Phra Khru Kitti Patcharakhun, the abbot of Lad Khae temple and chief monk of Phetchabun’s Chon Daen district, was taken to court for allegedly sexually violating a child younger than 15 years old. 

On Thursday afternoon, the court agreed to approve his bail request.

But as soon as he was released on Bt200,000 bail, CCD officials arrested him and took him to their headquarters. 

He was also wanted on charges of stealing from the state budget that is designated for temples.

CCD commander Pol Maj-General Kamol Rienracha said the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases approved an arrest warrant for Phra Khru Kitti, 53, because of alleged money laundering on Thursday. 

“Our team went to the Criminal Court to detain him,” Kamol said. 

CCD team plans to bring Phra Khru Kitti Patcharakhun, 53, to the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases on Friday to seek permission for his detention. 

“If he submits a bail request, we will try to object,” he said. 

Phra Khru Kitti is one of the many suspects implicated in alleged schemes to steal state-provided temple subsidies. High-level officials of the National Office of Buddhism are also implicated.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30332917

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-30

This country and largely thanks to the cowboys in charge, for whom no-one can feel respect, is going to the dogs. Here, in Isan, it is the strong Buddhist culture that keeps people happy, generous and generally law-abiding. Once the monks themselves demonstrate, by sex or other crimes, that their religion is losing its influence - its grip - we can only expect Thailand's slide into shitsville to accelerate.

13 minutes ago, Ossy said:

This country and largely thanks to the cowboys in charge, for whom no-one can feel respect, is going to the dogs. Here, in Isan, it is the strong Buddhist culture that keeps people happy, generous and generally law-abiding. Once the monks themselves demonstrate, by sex or other crimes, that their religion is losing its influence - its grip - we can only expect Thailand's slide into shitsville to accelerate.

Science can't teach morals but religion can. Funny - as an anti-theist I think I have a lot of morality. I was taught at a child to show empathy and do nice things expecting nothing in return. Education being the key. 

About time people realised that the good and bad things they do are on them. I think we should be trying to educate people to be good because it's the right thing to do. Not because there's some higher force watching who will punish them. That's not really being good. It's being fearful. And it just leads to people like this monk who delude themselves into thinking they can do no wrong. 

As being just about the only non-theistic religion, Buddhism is probably the most attractive to an atheist. It certainly seems the most logical and closest to natural laws. However, if a persons 'faith' can be shaken by the actions of people, whether monks or not, then I think that person has a very shallow understanding of it.

Here's a cool story boys and girls.

On the return 55 km journey from Nong Khai to Udon Thani (after the first 55 km run on my mountain bike), after being shaken down $25 USD  by Thai customs for a $50 package of tea I had sent to me, I stopped at one of the temples along the way to rest and brew some tea. The (assumed abbot) of the temple was quiet friendly. In fact, he was so friendly that as he was asking me some of the routine questions he proceeded to probe my lower abdomen and groin areas for a few minutes. I'm not sure what he was up to, but since he was down there I decided to just take a few moments to reflect on what was going on, sort of gesturing to him to express something to the effect of  ...

"Nice to see that you are molesting me. I am just going to sit here and smile while I sip my tea and just watch as you proceed to fondle me right here on the porch of your temple. I am actually finding it a bit ENTERTAINING how you aren't even making much of an effort to HIDE your ambitions..."

Then a local young Thai couple showed up for some consultation. I finished my tea, packed my stuff, and rode off politely, contemplating to myself HOW MANY OTHER people have been "at the hands" of this pious man, and/or the other monk I encountered there, who looked like he might have been smoking ice before doing his alms rounds.

Needless to say, can't wait to ride on over the Laos border in four day and likely NOT return to the LoS any time soon (if ever). Just getting BORED of this twisted place.

Hope yáll enjoy my story, and next time you visit the temples it might be best to wear a jock strap or chastity belt just to be safe. 

FF 

Edited by FrankyFreedom

10 hours ago, godblessemall said:

As being just about the only non-theistic religion, Buddhism is probably the most attractive to an atheist. It certainly seems the most logical and closest to natural laws. However, if a persons 'faith' can be shaken by the actions of people, whether monks or not, then I think that person has a very shallow understanding of it.

I really don't think atheists are looking to be attracted by a 'religion'. Good ideas about how to live in harmony aren't copyrighted or owned by any religion. They're simply common sense. People need to get away from wanting to wear a badge.

Empathy is the key. It's something we learn (or don't learn) as children. The old, "Do as I say and not as I do" simply doesn't work. You need people to be setting good examples. Like when my mum didn't notice she left a toothbrush in the shopping trolly. When we loaded the shopping in the car we noticed the toothbrush. She overreacted by getting red and flustered, and then she ran back to go and pay for it. Simple things like that, when done sincerely, have a huge impact on you. Oh, she's catholic and I'm an anti-theist. Religion, or a lack of religion, doesn't make you good or bad. Being good or bad does.