Thai media continues with "Cut the Carnage" campaign as death toll mounts on Thai roads

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, shart said:

Whilst not a direct reply to the above this sort of ties in. I did my motorbike test in Thailand about 18 months ago,it was a real eye opener and an education - but for all the wrong reasons.I will try to explain

Almost everyone was foriegn (not Thai), and they all had a dim view of Thai licencing and road use. They paid little notice to the requests of the lady and others running the 'no riding' part of the test. They showed little respect and I felt embarrassed to be a forienger amongst them. When the video was being shown, the video that gives you every bit of information you need for the multiple choice questions, most we talking, using there phones, going outside to get food, doing other things,talking in groups or talking to partners outside and the like. Of course they all knew better and did not need to lower themselves to taking part in the 'stupid' thai test. Comments like 'why dont they just give us a licence were being spouted'. Things got interesting at the multiple choice computer test, people full of talk now realised they knew nothing and there incompetence was reflected in the high failure rate. So many foriegners trying to 'save face' with all manner of excuses - yes I had a good laugh. I was the only person who watched that video all the way through - if the disciplines in that video were followed by road users in Thailand this place would be a whole lot safer RIGHT NOW. But people dont, not just thais, but everyone thinks they know better.

The problem is cultural and a broad lack of respect not just for the laws but for common sense and fellow man.

Thank you for sharing that experience.  Glad to hear that the contemptuous were flunked.

4 hours ago, michael walker said:

100% agree with SEAJAE comments ,did anyone notice the video when the bike crashed HAD HIS WING MIRROR

"TURNED IN " SO CANT BE USED !!!,  IDIOTS   

It goes along with red lenses in the head light and clear lens in the tail light - you can't cure stupid.

Interesting point.  My doctor said I have high blood pressure but I insisted they test again on leaving the hospital.  She was surprised to find that I'm normal.  I tell him it's the drive to the hospital that raises it.  She just laughs.

9 minutes ago, whitfield said:

Interesting point.  My doctor said I have high blood pressure but I insisted they test again on leaving the hospital.  She was surprised to find that I'm normal.  I tell him it's the drive to the hospital that raises it.  She just laughs.

9 minutes ago, whitfield said:

Many things can elevate BP on a short term basis, even a visit to the Dr. can bump it up, (white coat syndrome) and of course anything to do with Thai traffic is one sure way. 

Edited by Artisi

On 12/5/2017 at 2:30 PM, mercman24 said:

me being a motor bike rider for more years than a care to mention, is seeing riders with no helmets, it is the law for christ sake, should be, first offence 1000 baht fine (OK I AM BEING LENIENT) next offence , lose your mode of transport, it just needs proper policing, sorry i am talking absolute rubbish again  i wonder how many thai families are looking after injured family members caused by not wearing a helmet, i bet there are quite a few.

It might also help if when the police stop and fine them for not wearing a helmet they don’t let them drive away wearing no helmet but Impound the bike

The same thing happens when they book them for having no licence or insurance.

Unfortunately it’s probably too logical.

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

It goes along with red lenses in the head light and clear lens in the tail light - you can't cure stupid.

I should hope not, successive governments have invested altogether too much in keeping Thais stupid for it to fail now...

Phuket; A 20 year old woman who was three months pregnant died yesterday evening (Dec 5) when a pickup truck collided with the motorbike on which she was riding pillion.

“Ms Siriluck and her mother were about 50m away from the Shell patrol station when the pickup truck hit at the back of the motorbike. Ms Siriluck fell from the motorbike and her head hit the road.

No helmet again

39 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Phuket; A 20 year old woman who was three months pregnant died yesterday evening (Dec 5) when a pickup truck collided with the motorbike on which she was riding pillion.

“Ms Siriluck and her mother were about 50m away from the Shell patrol station when the pickup truck hit at the back of the motorbike. Ms Siriluck fell from the motorbike and her head hit the road.

No helmet again

Fate, amulet failure once again.. 

5 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Would you like to volunteer to be a traffic safety instructor?

They are obviously in short supply.

No i would not because they want u to get a work permit One thing ihave learnt from Thais You can show them a 100 times and still they will do something the opposite like my wife does  If she say's we are not going shopping you can bet your better dollar that we will be going shopping

12 hours ago, Artisi said:

Many things can elevate BP on a short term basis, even a visit to the Dr. can bump it up, (white coat syndrome) and of course anything to do with Thai traffic is one sure way. 

I agree have same problem when i get my BP checked if i drive to the hospital :cheesy:

9 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

good luck in that.one thing thailand has not  done to decrease in numbers just like drinking on holidays  and a few others.new year is coming and people will have a guess on how many will die from drink driving.

the number of people who die on holidays in Thailand is the same as the rest of the year.

the percentage of crashes involving alcohol is said to be about 30% - the international norm is 25% to 33% 

one also needs to bear in mind what "involving alcohol really means (look it up if you don't know)