7-7-7 campaign to reduce death toll during New Year

snoop1130

7-7-7 campaign to reduce death toll during New Year

A049EC7B-89F1-428C-8CD0-8F7D6123CBF0.jpeg

The Transport Ministry will launch a 7-7-7 campaign for the safety of people travelling during the 2018 New Year, Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said on Wednesday (Dec 6).

He said the campaign will be launched under the motto: “Drive slowly. Turn on front lights. Fasten seat belts.”

The campaign time is divided into three 7-day periods: 7 days before the New Year; 7 days during the New Year; and, 7 days after the New Year.

Mr Arkhom said safety measures will be strictly enforced, aiming to reduce the numbers of death and injuries to zero on 61 routes — comprising 41 main highways and 20 rural roads.

The 61 routes are 12 roads under a cooperation project between the Thailand’s Transport Ministry and Janpan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism; 13 roads with the highest numbers of accident during the 2017 New Year; 19 roads with the highest numbers of accidents during the past three years; and 17 roads to tourist spots popular to people during the New Year.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/7-7-7-campaign-reduce-death-toll-new-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-6

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He [Transport Minister Arkhom] said the campaign will be launched under the motto: “Drive slowly. Turn on front lights. Fasten seat belts.”

The campaign time is divided into three 7-day periods: 7 days before the New Year; 7 days during the New Year; and, 7 days after the New Year.

On the positive side, Arkhom has my full support of his catchy 'drive-turn-fasten' motto, though quite how he understands vehicle light switching is beyond me . . . I'm sure my car doesn't have a 'front lights only' switch. Or is this yet another case of total and utter bungling? How can a road-safety initiative be allowed to get off - in front of the press, too - to such a ridiculed start?

And, as for the 7-7-7 slogan, could there have been a less exciting source in its creation? 3 x 7 day periods - before, during and after . . . how exciting is that for a slogan, for heaven's sake?   But, let's not be nit-picking before the show has got on the road - or on the TV, even. More to the point, will it even get TV exposure and, if not, what public-exposure will it get? My cynical view is that, in all probability, this will be NONE!

Edited by Ossy
omission

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Only 7 in the back of a pick up? You can fit 12 comfortably!

Whilst true... you must remember that this is a safety initiative, hence reducing ( not eliminating... that initiative failed miserably) the over crowding in pick ups.

But don’t worry, the extra five pax will be crammed into the cab, so it’s all good.

On 12/7/2017 at 2:08 AM, observer90210 said:

Establish a 100'000 THB fine, with one year jail with an impounding of the car,  for any driver caught drunk or under drugs ..... who knows ? ...the beach method may work on the roads as well ?

Or, just sing the national anthem