USA Visit Visa

I am a UK citizen living in the UK. My wife still lives in Thailand. She has a 5 year UK visit visa so comes over every year. She has her own house in Thailand, but doesn't work. I want us to have a holiday in the USA next September for 3 weeks. The plan would be that she flies here first and we fly to New York together and return to the UK.

1. Do we need to wait until about 3 months before to apply or can we do it early next year so I can start booking.

2. Would she get a 6 month one or from what I hear a 10 year one.

3. What are her chances seeing as she has been to a few countries already , has her own house so will always go back to Thailand.

Thank you

I am a UK citizen living in the UK. My wife still lives in Thailand. She has a 5 year UK visit visa so comes over every year. She has her own house in Thailand, but doesn't work. I want us to have a holiday in the USA next September for 3 weeks. The plan would be that she flies here first and we fly to New York together and return to the UK.

1. Do we need to wait until about 3 months before to apply or can we do it early next year so I can start booking.

2. Would she get a 6 month one or from what I hear a 10 year one.

3. What are her chances seeing as she has been to a few countries already , has her own house so will always go back to Thailand.

Thank you

My take. She can do this when she wants to.  The length of the visa is not her choice that is strictly up to her interviewer. Her chance..She has to prove to the interviewer why she will not stay in the US (her family, finical ability back home and the big one is your relationship. You living in the UK and her living in Thailand could be a problem but over all I give better than even odds. She will have to submit her application either to the US embassy in Bangkok or the US consulate in Chiang Mai. I suggest that she gets a respectable agent to assist her and she use the the US consulate in Chiang Mai as they are more receptive. As for an agent I would recommend Star Visa who is just down the block from the consulate.
  • Like 1

IMO, your wife's position seems stronger than the average Joe, with that UK visit visa in her passport, and with multiple trips out and back to Thailand.  That lends credibility to the house book as "home", and it's unlikely she would abscond to the US when you live in the UK - unless she's got immediate or extended family in the US, then that puts a question mark in the air.  

My Mrs. just went through this process last week at US Embassy BKK.  She's had 2 US visit visas before - 1-year and a 5-year, and we've done multiple trips back and forth and to other countries.  Her English skills are good and we did mock interviews to practice the intent and details of our up-coming trip.   On the day, she said there were long queues inside and she over-heard many rejections being handed out; the applicants were unable to explain the intent of their trip confidently and/or devolved into convoluted, dodgy sounding stories.  Said Consulars would try to unravel it in Thai and English, but only for so long, rejected, next.....

Wife said she stepped up to the window at her turn, female consular machine gunned questions at her, she fired right back quickly and confidently, no hesitation.  After that initial stress test, she said Consular visibly relaxed and approved the visa.  Passport turned up in the post 4 days later with a shiny new 10-year US Visit Visa in it. 

I had also considered a quick trip up to CM for the reason Khwaibah mentioned above ^, but took our chances with the masses in BKK and it worked out in the end.  

Good luck, hope she gets it. 

• Like 1

On the application timing, we planned to go 3rd week January and I procrastinated applying until December.   The Consular officer did ask my wife when we planned to go but didn't ask for air tickets.  If so, my wife knew how to couch the logic that spending thousands on air tickets if you don't have a visa in hand, is a bit presumptuous.   I felt her application and history was strong enough on its own merits, and didn't need that extra level of proof. 

Consulars don't seem to say how long a visa will be.  We didn't know she got 10-years until passport was returned - although I was 99% sure she would get the 10-year this time around.

Edited by 55Jay

Lots of good information above however, I don't think she can apply/interview in Chiang Mai unless her ID card address is located in a Chiang Mai Consulate service province:

"The Chiang Mai consular district covers fifteen provinces: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit"

All other province must apply/interview in Bangkok.

At least that was the rule a few years ago when Mrs Kidd and the kids went thought the process.

Good Luck

Edited by Coconut Kidd

15 minutes ago, Coconut Kidd said:

Lots of good information above however, I don't think she can apply/interview in Chiang Mai unless her ID card address is located in a Chiang Mai Consulate service province:

"The Chiang Mai consular district covers fifteen provinces: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit"

All other province must apply/interview in Bangkok.

At least that was the rule a few years ago when Mrs Kidd and the kids went thought the process.

Good Luck

Not exactly a rule. It can be used by others.   https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/chiang-mai/  I am in Surin and the wife and I use it.

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Not exactly a rule. It can be used by others.   https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/chiang-mai/  I am in Surin and the wife and I use it.

Good info, thanks, a possible geo restriction using the CM Consulate hadn't even occurred to me, good to know there isn't one.  Wound up using BKK anyway, did the visa business, saw the American Doc for a check up, and raided Villa Market for more Cholula hot sauce!  :tongue:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nickboyuk said:

Thanks 55 Jay good to hear your experience. She should be OK, she has no ties in the USA. Probably do it in February as its going to take some planning. I have a sort of itinerary already

That's my feeling based on what you've said, and the lack of relatives in the US is another tick on the positive side. 

The wife's been through this 3 times now, this was the first time in Thailand though.  I was ready for a rejection by some jaded civil servant who hates his/her job dealing with the masses day in, day out.  But with a little preparation and administrative organization, and a good presentation, she sailed right on through.  Good luck, cheers!

• 3 months later...

My husband has his B1 interview next week.  Does he need to have supporting Thai documents (home ownership, etc) translated?

He has was denied a tourist visa 5 years ago but came to the US on a fiance visa last year.  We are now living full time in Thailand andjust want to visit my family in the US.