Need mobile internet on my laptop for 30 days, what are my options?

hiigara

Hello.

I am going to stay in Thailand for 30 days and I would like to check my emails on my laptop, and probably also google maps.

Not only I don't have a smartphone, but I don't like to read or type in small screens, so I use my laptop.

Can I buy a USB dongle and a sim-card in Thailand with a pay-as-you-go plan, or a similar tourist plan?

Thanks

Edited by hiigara

Many of the carrier branded shops sell USB "Air Cards" or "Pocket WiFi" device, with a PrePaid (PayAsYouGo) SIM Card pre-packaged with Internet DATA promotion, or "top up" with additional funds to pay for additional.

1400_802489facf0636f95075fdee838876b0.pn3208_8b025d27df506105855ecdb787dd8ebd.pn           DHWA4GPWV20.png?ti=20151121

While a USB "Air Card" can provide a single laptop with an 3G or 4G Internet DATA connection, a "Pocket WiFi" device shares its 3G or 4G Internet DATA connection over it's built-in WiFi Access Point so multiple WiFi devices can use the connection at the same time (the device is similar to how a SmartPhone might share it's Internet Data Connection via it's WiFi Hotspot feature).  Note, while many mobile carriers also offer "WiFi Hotspot" subscriptions, those are a totally separate fixed-location WiFi connection services.   

The three major mobile carriers in Thailand are linked below with their Air Card or Pocket WiFi offerings. 

TrueMove  AirCards, Pocket WiFi, Plug WiFi

AIS  (site broken, shows image but clicking for more details fails)

DTAC  Pocket WiFi

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

(True Move) that the "dongle" started off great and then got slower and slower after a few days.

Depends on the package you buy. Some "unlimited" schemes come with a data limit for higher speeds then default to slow after limit exceeded. The most annoying packages ever devised by humankind? Now one can by unlimited packages as well, not data limits linked to speed so all is well.

Truemove next to Tukcom have stopped selling the USB Aircard but you can get in Tukcom. They sell the pocket Wifi but told me it was not recommended for my Condo which is a 'stones throw' from the shop and the pocket Wifi may not work on the 15th Floor.

Despite that, yesterday they sold a Pocket Wifi to a friend who lives on the 15th (top) Fl. Cost about 2500 baht.  He must have got a different salesman. I havent found out yet if it works.

Where are you planning to stay, while in Thailand? If you will be staying in Bangkok, most hotels have free wi-fi for guests. Terminal 21 has free wi-fi, you get the password at the service desk. Starbucks and other stores have free wi-fi. You can get a phone plan that allows access to free wifi on their network, at shopping centers and stores like Big C.   AIS, I believe has the largest free wi-fi network. You will find wi-fi available throughout most of Thailand.