Audi visit

Will E Vormer

Someone mentioned some current audi imports being fairly good value (for an import)- I have to agree.. there's also the A4 Avant quattro black edition. 252hp, specced up to the max, b&o stereo, diamond leather sports seats, pano roof, 7 speed S-tronic etc just missing virtual cockpit.

3.25M (and 5 month waiting list)

Had a look at both the TT and A4 today.

Also the massive Q7 starts at just over 4M which is not bad at all when compared to Mercedes etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Out of interest I wrote down the thai spec for black edition A4 and put it through the uk configurator. I think it came out roughly 47k but that doesnt include diamond leather (not an option in uk).

That's 2.05 M baht. The thai price is 3.25M.

Usually a german import here is going to cost around double the uk price, so the price ratio in this case isnt bad. Then factor in that it will hold its value in Thailand much better than UK, so say u sell 3 or 4 yrs on, the loss may be very similar.

Just to add, the TT 45 S Line isnt S Line spec. When I pointed this out to the sales guy he straight up admitted that the seats and wheels werent S Line and they just stick on an S Line badge lol.
But it does come with virtual cockpit and those sexy heater controls inside the vents.

I think the Audi warranty from memory is 5 years 150k. Most people who buy a new Audi will sell it before the warranty is over anyhow. VAG as a company is one of the largest car sellers in the world, their quality standards are very decent these days.

If we we are talking purely on warranties then the Korean car manufacturers like Hyundai and Kia will beat them all, (however it’s unlikely anyone in the market for a Euro will even look at these companies, especially in Thailand where the taxes would be stupid)

Last year I was in the market for a used Quattro based smallish car with the 2.0 turbo engine. The A4 or Q3 for 1 million would have been perfect. However it was very difficult to find them and they appeared to hold their value better than say the Q5 (which is too big for my liking)

If they manage to sell many many of the spec’d up A4 quattros it means a few years from now there will likely be quite a few for sale at a reasonable price. Hopefully by that time there will be a dealer and after sales service centre in the South also.

Lol!

Not going to comment on which brand of german car is better. I like them all but there def is an image 'issue' with driving a merc in the land of smiles, which is unfortunate.

It was a little similar to the image problem BMW had in the UK at one time, which Audi capitalized on

https://youtu.be/pIQ-283wKgg

In Germany all 3 (Benz, BMW and Audi) are positioned on the same level, each has their little advantages in different departments.

I ordered the A4 Avant because it has this fantastic 2.0 turbo, has 4WD and is very highly speced at a price where you can only get a regular C class estate without 4wd and lower speced at higher prices. My wife got the Benz GLC last year and I somehow feel underwhelmed with it, maybe SUV are just not for me. Plus the wiper issue has somehow pissed me off and lessened my image of Benz.

I ordered the A4 Avant because it has this fantastic 2.0 turbo, has 4WD and is very highly speced  

Yes its an awesome car and spec. The black edition is I think 250k more, with some v tasty extras you cant get in the european spec ones.  

Does the exhaust do that 'snort' between shifts like the S4? Can't really tell from this vid(saloon version)

Look i think it is simple....we can all agree due to taxation German cars are more expensive than Japanese here in Thailand.

However, we live here....and I for one just don't quite like what the Japanese manufacturers offer here in Thailand engine wise especially. 

The nicest car to drive for "regular" Japanese cars money was the Ford Focus with the 2.0 TDCI engine and a proper stick gear.

What is just stated here is that the Audi A4 Avant with 4wd in Black Edition trim is a superior value for money than competing C Class estate.

The Audi TT is also very good value compared to what else is available here in Thailand.

For me the safety factor is v important. We see the statistics and as drivers we witness typical thai road behaviour everyday.

I bought a locally made japanese car with a supposedly good ncap rating and to be honest it feels v flimsy. The body shakes and window frames creak over bumps. This year at the motor show I compared the 3 series made here and the import. I was surprised at the difference in build quality, night and day! The thai version had much cheaper plastics and the seats were not fit for a Toyota to be honest. You have to question if the body is the same quality as the imports?

So yes I do see a big safety argument for buying an imported german car if you can stretch to it, esp if you have a family

5 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

For me the safety factor is v important. We see the statistics and as drivers we witness typical thai road behaviour everyday.

I bought a locally made japanese car with a supposedly good ncap rating and to be honest it feels v flimsy. The body shakes and window frames creak over bumps. This year at the motor show I compared the 3 series made here and the import. I was surprised at the difference in build quality, night and day! The thai version had much cheaper plastics and the seats were not fit for a Toyota to be honest. You have to question if the body is the same quality as the imports?

So yes I do see a big safety argument for buying an imported german car if you can stretch to it, esp if you have a family

There are Japanese car models in Thailand that are not particularly flimsy.  The body rigidity and suspension of the current model Civic for example seems good.  

The German cars that are assembled in LOS are generally from CKD kits with mostly imported parts.  I doubt Benz or BM would have one parts standard for CKD and another for their German plants, not to mention their South African / Mexican plants etc. 

We had a locally assembled GLA250 and the quality was comparable to the imported GLA200.  Main difference was in options. 

On any car, a little bit of sound deadening material, some extra gadgets, nice leather or glossy surfaces for the interior can make a big difference to the perception of quality.  

You would think the standard wd be similar but I noticed on the 3 series some the trim looks and feels not up to the same level- the seats of the locally made Lux trim are really poorly made and not comfortable; whatever foam padding they are using is of a totally different quality. It came as a bit of a shock to be honest.

3 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

You would think the standard wd be similar but I noticed on the 3 series some the trim looks and feels not up to the same level- the seats of the locally made Lux trim are really poorly made and not comfortable; whatever foam padding they are using is of a totally different quality. It came as a bit of a shock to be honest.

I absolutely do not believe this.

But still, I only buy new models and my S is imported by Benz because they were not yet made in Thailand when it was launched (actually I do not even know if they are made in Thailand now ?)

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my enquiry. I requested a finance package on the A4 black edition with 2m down, loan of 1.25m. The rep sends me the the figures -

"If you put down 2m and 24 terms

You'll pay 54,800 per month

Thanks,sir"

My reply

"If total purchase price is 3.25m

And loan is 1250000

And monthly payment is 54800 x 24

The interest rate is 4.93%

Correct?"

His reply

"No sir

The interest rate still is 2.65% per year Sir

Thanks"

So I query this and ask what am I missing(maybe there are hidden charges like delivery, road tax, etc).

Never hear back.

Is this a typical thai thing?