living in Chantaburi Province

mouse999

Hi guys and girls

Just want the general thoughts and advice about living and maybe retiring in this province or surrounding area. I am 47 yr old farlang with a thai wife who is from Khlung, no kids, I used to have a party lifestyle in phuket /Bangkok/pattaya but now looking for the slower life ...less traffic but not to faraway from civilization if u now what I mean! I have lived and worked in Thailand previously for 8 years and speak reasonable thai, I still like to travel a bit as well so not a million miles away from swampy would be good....your thoughts and advice will be good  cheers

Hi

There are not that many farangs residing here, more on the coastal areas and passing through to Trat and Koh Chang. I live near Soi Dao at the northern end of the province and most that I encounter up here are older than I am at 58. There is no heavy industry in Chantaburi due to some Government edict so employment for many Thais is restricted to agriculture, many of them end up in Rayong, Chon Buri and Chachaengsao for work. The province does seem not much different from what I have seen in Isaan too which is where many of them emanated from in the first place. So it takes me three hours to get to the Airport at the right time of day, it can take 5. This is an improvement on when I first moved here 10 or so years ago as it is four lane all the way now. You will need something to occupy your time, that is my advice, the locals are pretty quiet and friendly not a lot of English speaking or western tourist style is catered for

6 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Hi

There are not that many farangs residing here, more on the coastal areas and passing through to Trat and Koh Chang. I live near Soi Dao at the northern end of the province and most that I encounter up here are older than I am at 58. There is no heavy industry in Chantaburi due to some Government edict so employment for many Thais is restricted to agriculture, many of them end up in Rayong, Chon Buri and Chachaengsao for work. The province does seem not much different from what I have seen in Isaan too which is where many of them emanated from in the first place. So it takes me three hours to get to the Airport at the right time of day, it can take 5. This is an improvement on when I first moved here 10 or so years ago as it is four lane all the way now. You will need something to occupy your time, that is my advice, the locals are pretty quiet and friendly not a lot of English speaking or western tourist style is catered for

do you go to chanthaburi often..i'm wondering if living in and around the centre is a good idea?

I go to Chan for supplies but not a lot, maybe twice a month, if you didn't have transport then the city is your best option. When my son needed a place in Chan, there were lots of rooms for rent, didn't look for houses, and there's virtually no high rise. I imagine a modern style house would cost a fair bit to rent, I know they have them for rent in the "gated" communities near here. 

I go to Chan for supplies but not a lot, maybe twice a month, if you didn't have transport then the city is your best option. When my son needed a place in Chan, there were lots of rooms for rent, didn't look for houses, and there's virtually no high rise. I imagine a modern style house would cost a fair bit to rent, I know they have them for rent in the "gated" communities near here. 

Is there any farlang entertainment beer bars ect?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

From the sound of it you would be off much better living on Koh Chang, which at least is not completely dead. I live in Trat city, and here, as in Chantaburi, is F.A. to do. Most exciting trip of the week is to visit the local Tesco, or Makro, or hang out with one of the few other farangs.

We started out living on Koh Chang, but once we got a child we had to move to Trat for school and hospital. Apart from being more lively, it is also a lot cooler on Koh Chang.

18 hours ago, Bullie said:

From the sound of it you would be off much better living on Koh Chang, which at least is not completely dead. I live in Trat city, and here, as in Chantaburi, is F.A. to do. Most exciting trip of the week is to visit the local Tesco, or Makro, or hang out with one of the few other farangs.

We started out living on Koh Chang, but once we got a child we had to move to Trat for school and hospital. Apart from being more lively, it is also a lot cooler on Koh Chang.

Trat is a lost worst than Chanthaburi, absolutely nothing ! The choice of good schools is also better around Chanthaburi.

We’ve stayed in koh Chang a few times in last couple of years and it’s full of Khmer people working!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've lived in the Chang now for 12 years and love it. There are some good restaurants and if you have kids there are 2 international schools. There are a stack of golf courses if you are that way inclined. There are a couple of good gyms. The beaches are a bit dirty but the locals love them. For shopping Tesco in the Chang is pants but there area couple of expat deli type shops. For better quality food you are better off heading to Pattaya for Makro, Tesco and Food land. There are loads of expat orientated bars some are family friendly and some are gentleman focused. There is a variety of housing for different budgets from cheap Charlie to champagne Charlie .

23 hours ago, Big Guns said:

I've lived in the Chang now for 12 years and love it. There are some good restaurants and if you have kids there are 2 international schools. There are a stack of golf courses if you are that way inclined. There are a couple of good gyms. The beaches are a bit dirty but the locals love them. For shopping Tesco in the Chang is pants but there area couple of expat deli type shops. For better quality food you are better off heading to Pattaya for Makro, Tesco and Food land. There are loads of expat orientated bars some are family friendly and some are gentleman focused. There is a variety of housing for different budgets from cheap Charlie to champagne Charlie .

nice i'll have to check it out

• I visited  Chantaburi for a few years now and usually take some village kids out with a local  girlfriend , been to the waterfall and the coast many times ,  the aquarium in  Chao Lao .  Was wondering if there was anything else I've missed , they get older and a go kart track or similar would be nice ! Is it possible to hire a speed boat for similar for a few hours  on the water ?