Monitor Problems

sbk

I turned my monitor on this morning only to find the entire screen tinted pink. Quite lurid really and a bit hard on the eyes. In the past I've had difficulties with this monitor when I first turn it on, ie everything is quite dim and slowly it brightens and is ok for the rest of the day.

Now, its pink. And oddly enough, it goes back to normal by itself. But only for awhile, then its back to pink.

Tell me the truth, is it time for a new monitor or could this be the graphics card?

(if a new monitor I plan on popping over to Samui for a new LCD one :o )

I turned my monitor on this morning only to find the entire screen tinted pink. Quite lurid really and a bit hard on the eyes. In the past I've had difficulties with this monitor when I first turn it on, ie everything is quite dim and slowly it brightens and is ok for the rest of the day.

Now, its pink. And oddly enough, it goes back to normal by itself. But only for awhile, then its back to pink.

Tell me the truth, is it time for a new monitor or could this be the graphics card?

(if a new monitor I plan on popping over to Samui for a new LCD one :o )

Replace the VGA cable.

It doesn't look removable from the back of the monitor.

Do you have another computer or take it to a friends place and connect the monitor to it. If it still does it, then probably the monitor. Also, you might remove the vga cable from the PC and put it back on being sure it is solidly screwed down. Sometimes the connector may not mate well. Symptoms like you have on CRT monitors usually points to a temperature sensitive part that is probably failing - but need to verify it by using another computer.

May you open the monitor and blow out the dust!

It can be also a "cold" solderpoint

And tywais is right as well. The check on a different computer will may tell something.

Some time ago I had that problem by an costumer on and LCD Monitor and after spray-clean the conecctor with Contact61 the Monitor works well.

Contact61 is a special contact cleaner which removes dust pp and disapears completly. I can find this cleaner by Natapong at Ban Mor in Bangkoks China Town only but is the only one I would use for this kind of work!

Probably time for an LCD replacement. Although a TV repair shop could probably get it going for another year or so cheaper. As said likely cold solder joint and very common after a few years use. Swift kick (slap) usually gets them working for awhile.

Don't go inside it.

its quite old and located right on the ocean. It has done a fine job for the past 6 years so I can't complain and most certainly won't be opening it up. Its still fine now, but will wait for it to go pink again and then plug it into my other computer (whose monitor is even older and still going strong :o to see if it is pink there. Thanks for the suggestion everybody :D

Probably time for an LCD replacement. Although a TV repair shop could probably get it going for another year or so cheaper. As said likely cold solder joint and very common after a few years use. Swift kick (slap) usually gets them working for awhile.

Don't go inside it.

Concur

Same advice I got when , in a previous life ,

I used to deal in computers and such.

I was told there are some very high

voltages floating about under the covers.

I once had 220v up one arm and down

the other.

Never fancied finding out what a four

digit jolt felt like.

:o

just get a new one but before you do it get a friends monitor and make sure its not the PC or video card.

Ive had an 17"Acer LCD for the last 3 years can highly recomend it, does what i want but yes i know there are better hih=gher res available but i dont need it. I may be changing this one for a 19" in 2007.

Don't go inside it.

Concur

Same advice I got when , in a previous life ,

I used to deal in computers and such.

I was told there are some very high

voltages floating about under the covers.

I once had 220v up one arm and down

the other.

Never fancied finding out what a four

digit jolt felt like.

:o

well 5 digit actually and you don't need to actually touch anything - it will find you

6 years ia a reasonable time for a CRT monitor, time to replace it