Bid For Sunday Ban On Booze

george

ROAD SAFETY

Bid for Sunday ban on booze

BANGKOK: -- A network to reduce road accidents yesterday proposed a limited ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks in the latest attempt to further bring down the casualty rate.

Network president Udomsilp Srisaengnam said since drunk driving was the main cause of road accidents during the Songkran festival, the government should consider banning the sale of alcoholic drinks on Sundays and public holidays.

He did not explain why alcohol sales should be banned on Sundays but said a large number of people hit the road during public holidays.

According to the road safety management unit, during the April 9-18 Songkran period road accidents claimed 654 lives, or 37 per day. The death toll was, however, said to be lower than expected and well below that of last year.

The network also called on the government to limit the number of passengers of a pick-up truck and regulate Songkran activities to reduce risks.

However, Pongpayome Vasaputi, head of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said the proposed ban was almost out of the question.

In a free-market environment the government could not impose such a ban, though it could ask convenience stores not to sell alcoholic drinks to motorists, he said.

Meanwhile, Dr Paiboon Suriyawongpaisan of the road safety management unit yesterday urged state authorities to focus more on speeding and called for tighter controls on pick-up trucks.

--The Post 2004-05-12

Another well thought out good idea. Peeing into the wind again.

No "job bor see's" in this govt. Doc. Only a true genius could have come up with this one. If this idea comes off, it'll be a bit like living in the Outer Hebrides, where they cover all the evil booze with blankets in stores on Sundays, lest the cheerless beerless proles should be led into temptation. Can't somehow see this going down to well amongst the punters of LOS. :o

Perhaps the cops could just start spending some time alco-checking (and speed-checking) motorists instead of there ubiquotous helmet checks.

As far as I'm concerned what people do to themselves is their own business, the real problem is what they do to others.

Seems to me we wrote about this a while ago (New Years was it?) or some such similar subject and once again here is my 2 bahts worth on the subject.

Note: Myself, having been a liquor license holder in the after-mentioned local and having undergone the thourogh scrutiny of a state investigation following the death of one of my patrons (who was driving a motorcycle after drinking), I take these issues to heart and from personal experience. Please also note that I have been partying since the tender age of 13, I am in no way a "prissy tea tottler", nor do I think that you can control peoples habits and morals with excessive laws; education and consistent enforcement of sensible statutes is the key.

I come from the great, green state of Vermont in the USA and we have had very strict alcohol regulations and enforcement for over two decades now. The result was an immediate and dramatic drop in highway fatalities and injury to persons and property. It was met with much debate at first but has since been embraced by all, as the results were amazingly positive and conducive to the public good and business.

Some of the laws are as follows:

1.) No happy hours, but you can have a happy drink of the day. This means no power drinking and the customers still get a deal but it is one that does not contribute to accident statistics in the manner of a happy hour.

2.) Food must be served in any drinking establishment. Insurance rates for the establishment are based on a ratio of food revenues to alcohol revenues after the first year.

3.) Bartenders are trained and licensed by the state in responsible bartending. If they serve someone who then has an accident they must face a fine, or imprisonment, or both and their employers establishment can be closed for a period of time, and that results in higher liability insurance rates to the establishment when it re-opens. Plus they may no longer tend bar in Vermont.

Perhaps, mini-mart staff and the like could also undrgo such training. By the way, most of this program in Vermont is funded by tax revenues collected for the purchase of alcohol.

4.) Any one buying drinks for a minor, or a person already shut off by the bartender, can be fined and imprisoned, or both.

5.) Any one found to be driving and drinking is in immediate loss of their privilege to drive if failing a Breathalyzer test. (I believe this is the only offense that an officer of the law does not require a judge to pass sentence on. It may be appealed but that person is not driving in the mean time.)

6.) A bartender may continue to serve a person if they turn over their keys and sign a statement that they will not drive with an additional set of keys, before becoming intoxicated.

7.) No open beverage containers allowed in vehicles either by drivers or passengers, thus the driver cannot pass the container to the passenger to avoid prosecution.

And one bonus self-imposed by many establishment proprietors is, turn over your keys and we will get you home at no charge. Pick up your keys tomorrow.

All of this, would be great to see in any local/country, but not very likely to happen. It all requires sensibility and forethought, lack of greed and true compassion for the citizenry by both the constabulary and the politicians.

Also, tailoring these types of rules and regulations to fit your own community/country would further help to make this all work.

And finally, let us not forget one simple thing. Why must the enjoyment of the whole be curtailed by the childish and irresponsible behavior of the few? Stupid question I know, but I felt I had to ask. It all begins with education and compassion, two very basic Buddhist precepts. Freedom and responsibility go hand in hand, too, a democratic concept that is not broadly recognized.

Safety management boiled down to loose control these days in Thailand .

Many peoples death is caused by the poor management and nelegience of the enforcement units during songkran festival.

I personally see that the problems may not cause by the liquor but the authority didnt have a good measure under the law provided by the government of road Transport Ministry.

This problem is not happened this year but even the previous one .

What corrective measures over this problems in the past ?

The Enforcement and the Road ministry has to be blamed over causing the death of so many innocents peoples in Thailand

Talk more than action ?

Proposed more education(school and Public) and enforcement at the sametime and with heavy punishment if they fail to respond to the corrective Law.

Plan ahead before every festival ,public holidays and even sundays for the service to the peoples safety.

I thank the authority awearness in this matter and hope that action more than talk is uptmost important to save the life of peoples in thailand as well as foreigners.

we will see what they want to say over this matter ?

Yeah first we will stamp out drunk drivers, then all drinkers of alcohol, then all crime and then of course all violence such as violent crime and ultimately war itself.

Trouble is then you would have countless, policemen, Physicians, Nurses, Lawyers and finally Soldiers totally unemployed.

Then after a few centuries of no war and considering that all those that had their lives saved having had 2 children and those having had two children etc etc, there would be no more room on earth and we would be fighting for a place to stand or sit and something to eat or even a clean glass of water.

I am just being a realist and saying there are some necessary evils out there and sometimes the governments are just profiting in any way they can find from the misfortune of others.

It wouldnt be that expensive to carry out more breathalyzer tests, after having informed the public that this will be done. Focus on Saturday mornings and Sunday mornings, make the penalties very severe.

Education campaigns which focus on the immense number of road deaths, and instill personal responsibility for one's actions.

Set standards based on blood alcohol percentage (pro mille), and enforce them. If you're way too drunk, you lose your license, if you're slightly less drunk, you'll get a warning which shows up in the computer when a policeman checks your driver's license - two warnings, and then you lose your license. If you survive a road accident of which you were the cause, you should be forced to talk about your stupidity in public to make others think, e.g. in schools to teenagers who are about to get their licenses or start driving a car.

...in the best of worlds.

But maybe it would be a good start to demand that everyone who drives a motorized vehicle on public roads should have a license.... :o

I am just being a realist and saying there are some necessary evils out there and sometimes the governments are just profiting in any way they can find from the misfortune of others.

mouse, rather than being flippant and counter-productive would you care to be a little more in-depth and lucid on these "points" you bring up?

The fact is, there are proven solutions to this worldwide problem and they do not infringe upon those who are being responsible and put the onus and the cost on those who choose not to be. Too bad it does require a consistent commitment and enforcement, which at times is elusive at best.

Further, I see/read noone posting here and preaching perfect world, abstinence or dreams, just education, constraint, accountability and responsibility. Not a lot to ask.

It is when people just keep saying things like, its not a perfect world and making ludicrous statements about a serious matter that nothing ever gets done or improves and things do continue to slide down hill until they are right on our own doorstep.

Let's just hope that you are not the one to cause the grief and suffering or that you should be the recipient of such grief and suffering caused by irresponsible behaviors that can be corrected over time given the proper levels of commitment.

Fact is, if it can be done in the kind of place like I mentioned, Vermont (where people fought the statutes every step of the way and made broad sweeping statements about how futile it was to think it could be rectified, that it infringed on peoples rights and did nothing positive or for the public good) then it won’t change. Vermont has brought the rate of road fatalities down by over 50% since they chose to do something about it. Not a bad statistic if you ask me. Better than the ones we are reading here now.

He did not explain why alcohol sales should be banned on Sundays but said a large number of people hit the road during public holidays. Meanwhile, Dr Paiboon Suriyawongpaisan of the road safety management unit yesterday urged state authorities to focus more on speeding and called for tighter controls on pick-up trucks.

--The Post 2004-05-12

Did he really mean to say "hit the road"? (As in: "Ouch, fell off me bike").

One of the attractions of living in Thailand is that so many people are friendly, simple, even "childish" in their manner, but you expect politicians and the like to be a bit more worldly-wise. There are enough laws to stop drink-driving, but not enough police willing enough to enforce them. Why not give the policeman who catches a drunk-driver a reward of, say, 1000 Baht? Better than 300 Baht for no crash helmet AND they could do it every day of the week, instead of just at the end of the month when their money has run out.

And why target pickups full of people? They have got four wheels and are driven normally slowly and carefully. What about bikes? Why should 3, 4 or 5 people on a bike be allowed? Dad, mum, the kids and baby all ready to die in one bloody mess.

3 drunken Thais on a motorbike without helmet, light and licence, drive into a policecontrol. 100 bath fine each for not using helmet, 300 for not having licence,

100 bath for no lights 500 bath for drunken driving. The thais signed the fine and can drive home again on same mc without, licence, helmet, no licence and drunk.

Nekst step, they parents go to an officers in policestation, complain about that they don't have any money, and the officers let them pay 500bath. And the thais was happy and will do it again.

A few months ago a drunken driver gave full speed on red light, hit a bus and the bus drive into a supermarked and smashed everything. The driver complain to the police that he have some people after him who want to kill him. Seems like the police accept his story,because he refuse to pay for the damage. The buscompany refuse to pay, and the owner of supermarked has lost his income and live in a damage house/supermarked.

May be ban motorbike and car on sunday and holidays

It wouldnt be that expensive to carry out more breathalyzer tests, after having informed the public that this will be done. Focus on Saturday mornings and Sunday mornings, make the penalties very severe.

Education campaigns which focus on the immense number of road deaths, and instill personal responsibility for one's actions.

Set standards based on blood alcohol percentage (pro mille), and enforce them. If you're way too drunk, you lose your license,  if you're slightly less drunk, you'll get a warning which shows up in the computer when a policeman checks your driver's license - two warnings, and then you lose your license. If you survive a road accident of which you were the cause, you should be forced to talk about your stupidity in public to make others think, e.g. in schools to teenagers who are about to get their licenses or start driving a car.

...in the best of worlds.

But maybe it would be a good start to demand that everyone who drives a motorized vehicle on public roads should have a license....  :D

In my country - if you have been caught to drive with more than 1.0 promile alcohol /only with the breathalyzer/ you can get at least /!/:

1. 15 days in prison /on a short procedure/

2. Six months without driving license - and after the sixth month you should applay for a new one /paying all fees! - about 100 USD/

3. About 500 USD penalthy.

As you see - 3 in one! If you are driving with 0.5 up to 0.99 promile - you can get at least 3 months without driving license and about 300 USD penalty.

And if you take in mind that after 10 p.m. almost 50% of drivers have been drunk - after one month checks and penalties our police obtained all the necessary equipment to make police checks everywhere and every night.

It is not interesting which is my country. But I think that LOS is one of most liberal countries when we talk about drink&drive!

This idea about the Sundays and Holidays is absolute nonsence! What about Fridays and Saturdays? I'll start drink after Friday's BKK traffic and I'll stop drinking at Saturday /11.59pm!/. Cause I will-not-be aableee... to waallk... and after 0.00 iittss a Suuunday... aaand it's noot good to drinkkk.. And I haave to driivee ma caar infront maa home! Amazing!

Let's make some laws about the f..king! Let this activity to be allowed only in work days! And ban all f...k, blow...jbs etc at Sundays and Holidays! Workdays - you're tired and you'll make it not so often! Spreading of the AIDS will be overcomed!!! Hmmm - f...king at Sundays&Holydays?... You're just hanging around... and when some female passes by - you have enough time to get her.... And to start spreading deseases.... :o

No "job bor see's" in this govt. Doc. Only a true genius could have come up with this one. If this idea comes off, it'll be a bit like living in the Outer Hebrides, where they cover all the evil booze with blankets in stores on Sundays, lest the cheerless beerless proles should be led into temptation. Can't somehow see this going down to well amongst the punters of LOS. :o

I think the Sunday ban on Alcohol is a great idea, it's a pity that they could not include the other 6 days a week also, yes, a total ban, and who cares what the LOS Punters want.............Sex and Alcohol, stay at home mate, get pissed in your local pub, go home to a wank.

Ban all Alcohol is a fine idea.

I think the Sunday ban on Alcohol is a great idea, it's a pity that they could not include the other 6 days a week also, yes, a total ban, and who cares what the LOS Punters want.............Sex and Alcohol, stay at home mate, get pissed in your local pub, go home to a wank.

maybe the whole of thailand could have a no drink, no smoke and in bed by 10pm law.

would that please you polo.

Seems you want to ban everythig... Reading your other postings as well...

Or is it just your frustration, because you just had to leave Thailand?

maybe the whole of thailand could have a no drink, no smoke and in bed by 10pm law.

As i don't drink or smoke, i think it would be a wonderful idea.

To ban the 2 drugs that are responsible for 97% of all drug related deaths makes sense to me, dunno about the rest of you people.

To ban the 2 drugs that are responsible for 97% of all drug related deaths makes sense to me, dunno about the rest of you people.

You sure that 97% of the drug related deaths in Thailand isn't the police?

But maybe it would be a good start to demand that everyone who drives a motorized vehicle on public roads should have a license.... 

Not sure what that would do as most existing Thai drivers arent suitable to drive a buffalo or elephant, let alone a less intelligent means of transport...

In most places a license is still 500 baht... and you donot even have to drive...

so bann alcohol because of accidents? funny funny!

how about

ban knifes in household coz many people get killed with knifes

bann Airplanes coz they fall down and they kill a lot !

bann wars, they kill much more !

bah, just another noobish stunt. They try to bann some thai music which in some cases where over 20 years old coz they are 'not good' in the mind of those responsible for banning 'just everything' we not like.

I feel like in Praram9 Cafe!

Cheers!

Everybody knows the harsh, no-arguing penalty for importing drugs into Singapore, yet according to many Singaporeans I work with, they still have a social drugs problem.

Banning anything is not the answer as it's impossible - where there's demand, there's supply etc etc.

What's needed is good, solid education on the hazards and social impacts of such drugs, whatever they may be. Yada, yada, yada…

Alternatively, we could ban booze, ban drugs, ban nightclubs, ban drinking outside 7-11's at noodle stalls, ban noodle stalls themselves, ban customers, ban girlie bars, ban karaoke, ban anything service orientated and just outright ban any cause of any problem that has happen, will happen and even slightly could happen. Perfect society. What bloody society??? :o

Sounds like a whiff of Fascism to me matey. You're a real fun loving fart knocker

aren't ya?