Love a good funeral

davetrout

With the upmost respect for the deceased, a funeral in our little village is a blast. It general goes for a week with good food drink and my favourite gambling which the police allow. The Thais all having a good time and it's really good for all the village to get together. I am in sissaket Isaan is it the same all over Thailand

Edited by davetrout

I have also noticed a somewhat jolly atmosphere at some Thai funerals. Obviously not including direct relatives of the decreased. But from my experience (I have already been to four so far this year and probably forty plus in my nine years here) alcohol is only ever consumed out of sighted the majority.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am going to one today.

I must have been to close to a hundred Thai funerals, the only sombre ones have been children's. I have seen fighting at funerals caused by gambolling and heavy drinking. Last year the army stopped all gambolling in our area, but it is back this year.

In some respects I think Thais have a good way of looking at death. Growing up in the UK death was hidden from children, but hear in Thailand children are exposed to so many funerals it is just part of life.