Best Pound/baht Note Rate This Weekend

The best rate this weekend for sterling notes is 70.60 in Pratunam Bangkok

Anybody get better rate, please post with location

NB Please do not criticise ! This posting is to help those wishing to change pounds this weekend to get the best rate and know they are not being ripped off.. It is for information purposes only and not intellectual ones ! Not sure if the Aministrators will allow us to name the bank / change office concerned as they might feel this is advertising.

Edited by topfield

NB Please do not criticise ! This posting is to help those wishing to change pounds this weekend to get the best rate and know they are not being ripped off.. It is for information purposes only and not intellectual ones ! Not sure if the Aministrators will allow us to name the bank / change office concerned as they might feel this is advertising.

Stop all this nonsense ! :o

Naka.

mate , is it your full time job????? Dont you have anything else to do !!!!

:o

selfdebating .................

don't like it don't read it ,

simple ain't it .......................

Dear 'MID'

If you have no interest in knowing the best pound baht exchange rate why in heavens name did you click on the posting as it clearly stated 'information on pound/baht exchange rate' ? There are thousands of postings in this forum but you yourself chose to click on the matter about the exchange rate. Please explain as completely baffled.

Stop all this nonsense ! :o

Naka.

i have had my run ins with topfield in the past, but with his posts over the last couple of weeks on the fx rates i think he has been spot on to post whats been going on with the sterling/baht rates.i came back to my home in thailand on the 3rd january,i changed some pounds at the airport at 70.7 the next day the best i could get was 68.50 the last time i can remember a overnight change like that was when the bubble burst in 1997

i checked bloomberg on friday evening they had the baht 35.21 to the dollar i clicked over to cnbc and they had the rate at just 36 to the dollar later in the evening they came into line with bloomberg ,the pound was shown at 197.36.

at these rates, baht 35.21 sterling 197.36 i would expect to get about 69 baht to the pound .i took topfields advice and changed more sterling this morning at over 70 to the pound.

the baht as been bungee jumping over the past few weeks and i have been very interested in what topfield has posted,if you have looked in on his posts over the past year or two you know that in his YOUNGER days he must have spent all his working life in finacials and lets face it old habits die hard

Got some fx emails today saying that to further interest rate rise have been factored in to GBP - so for the next couple of weeks GBP will be at its best- now is the time to move cash to baht.

Seems the baht is very strong and despite all the issues in thailand that would seem to weaken it it still remains strong. I dont know if the baht is an alternative play to the Yuan, which is expected to increase in value soon and steadily.

FYI, you may get better rates, if you have cash at an unofficial money changer in Pratunam - near Big C and the Kasikorn Bank - they are called Super Rich - you'll know when you are there as there are alot of top end mercedes sports cars around - but be careful as I think it is a bit underworld - also close is the mafia run bar open till 6am where the drinks cost 200bt a go - including orange juice !

Still if you want to benefit - get an offshore baht account and move GBP to there, then no risk of having cash in Thailand, but you benefit from Baht strength and future GBP weakness

Got some fx emails today saying that to further interest rate rise have been factored in to GBP - so for the next couple of weeks GBP will be at its best- now is the time to move cash to baht.

Seems the baht is very strong and despite all the issues in thailand that would seem to weaken it it still remains strong. I dont know if the baht is an alternative play to the Yuan, which is expected to increase in value soon and steadily.

FYI, you may get better rates, if you have cash at an unofficial money changer in Pratunam - near Big C and the Kasikorn Bank - they are called Super Rich - you'll know when you are there as there are alot of top end mercedes sports cars around - but be careful as I think it is a bit underworld - also close is the mafia run bar open till 6am where the drinks cost 200bt a go - including orange juice !

Still if you want to benefit - get an offshore baht account and move GBP to there, then no risk of having cash in Thailand, but you benefit from Baht strength and future GBP weakness

Hi Kun Bob..pleased to meet you.

Excellent posting and very good advice ! You are dead right about the pound...it is sure to go up and very strong. The baht is the uncertain factor As long as the BOT continue to cap it at 36, we can only benefit Were the BOT music to stop, the baht could rise to 32 or 33 to the dollar and then we will only get 65 or 66 for our pounds. Lets hope that wont happen

By the way Super Rich (two offices directly opposite each other with same name ) has a competitor a few minutes away whose rates unbelievably can be even better ! They are located opposite the Platinum Centre on a corner on the main road, a few yards down from Pantip Plaza ( but on the other side of the road). So you can ring to check out rates before deciding.

Tel nos listed below :

Super Rich 02 655 2487

The New Xchange office 02 251 2249

Just can't understand what this poster is trying to achieve.

Anyone knows that their (farang) banks are alerted and deal with the situation with economists and strategists backing them up.

I would just trust our farang banks and their exchange rates.

It's a world known system that I rely on, not an accidental poster running around like a headless chicken.

Hey Khun Bob

You say "now is the time to change cash to baht."

You say "now the baht is very strong."

I am a stupid young boy. Please explain this apparent paradox.

You say," get an offshore baht account and move GBP to there, then no risk of having cash in Thailand, but you benefit from Baht strength and future GBP weakness."

I am perplexed, if your money is in sterling, how does one benefit? Surely one would benefit if one's money were in baht and the pound was destined for future weakness.

yes the baht strong - yes GBP strong - but for how long - what I have read and beleive is that the baht strength will continue and the GBP will weaken so now is the time to buy Baht with GBP

An offshore bank that enables you to hold GBP and baht...

Clarity may not be my best asset yet through thought even better clarity may be gained.

remind me not to back you up again ..............................

:o:D:D

:D :D :bah:

I think people click on topfield's posts in the vain hope of reading something which ISN'T about the finer points of the baht / sterling exchange rate or the bloody N/W building society.

I'm beginning to suspect that toppers suffers from some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder.

I know I shouldnt click on his threads, but I can't help myself. It's like watching a train wreck.

remind me not to back you up again ..............................

:o:D:D

:D :D :bah:

I think people click on topfield's posts in the vain hope of reading something which ISN'T about the finer points of the baht / sterling exchange rate or the bloody N/W building society.

I'm beginning to suspect that toppers suffers from some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder.

I know I shouldnt click on his threads, but I can't help myself. It's like watching a train wreck.

Dear Bendix,

Every single UK expat in Thailand is probably affected by the baht/pound exchange rate and possibly half use the N/W card hence the need for new postings.

What is surprising is that the unaffected Ozzies and Americans who make up at the very least half the people who visit this forum, arent complaining as this topic has no interest whatsoever for them !!

I have a Nationwide e savings and a flex account in the UK. I’m buying a house here and need to transfer money to my account here very soon.

I have a Thai Baht account but understand that a Sterling account is better as I can decide when to transfer to Baht when it’s already here. So I went to BKK bank today to open a Sterling account but was told it’s going to be two days before they can issue my account number.

My dilemma is, should I transfer my money to my Thai Baht account NOW or wait two days (that’s if it really is two days) until I get my Sterling account number, then transfer into my Sterling account so I have control over when to transfer???

The exchange rate seems pretty good just now but how will it be next week if I wait for my Sterling account to open??

Topfield? anyone???

Cheers

Phil

If the dollar and yen continue to weaken and no bad news comes out of the UK, then it should continue or get better.

If you talk to the right people in bkk bank and have a convincing, compassionate story that can be substantiated by a thai and they beleive you, then they could probably get you an account in 30 mins...

It worked for me on a different matter with bkk bank...

Still 2 days will have passed by now and the exchange rate has got better...

But does foreign remitted funds need to be converted to THB on entry, to get the certificate you need, in order to get the cash back out of thailand again, should you wish to do so, in the future ?

Hi phil.ne uk,

Seems that you are like many other expats in the know are worried that the one and one haf baht gift on every pound we exchange in Thailand courtesy K.Tarisa and MR Tevakun could stop at any moment.

I think you are right to worry, mind you when yesterday eve the pound spiked up to 1.99 you could have got over 70 baht to the pound without Tarisa's gift !

Yes we should all be making hay while the sun shines as its only a matter of time before this "subsidy" we all enjoy is withdrawn.

Hi Kun Bob..pleased to meet you.

Excellent posting and very good advice ! You are dead right about the pound...it is sure to go up and very strong. The baht is the uncertain factor As long as the BOT continue to cap it at 36, we can only benefit Were the BOT music to stop, the baht could rise to 32 or 33 to the dollar and then we will only get 65 or 66 for our pounds. Lets hope that wont happen

By the way Super Rich (two offices directly opposite each other with same name ) has a competitor a few minutes away whose rates unbelievably can be even better ! They are located opposite the Platinum Centre on a corner on the main road, a few yards down from Pantip Plaza ( but on the other side of the road). So you can ring to check out rates before deciding.

Tel nos listed below :

Super Rich 02 655 2487

The New Xchange office 02 251 2249

Thanks for the phone numbers. I will call and see if the can do large exchanges and if they do AMEX Travler checks in large denominations.