New passport / retirement extension renewal

Anything is possible with immigration

Many officers and offices 

Some smiling and flexible some straight impossible

Have just renewed passport with visa agent no trip to BKK, stamps transfered from old to new no letter, immigration knows us well, new to TV but lived here 12 yrs

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Oh, new passport for sure. For one very simple reason. Immigration will only grant you a retirement extension up until the end of your current passport validity.

And you don't want that do you?

Thanks for the comment but, and perhaps I should have made this clearer in my OP, the passport isn't expiring in the short term: I'm simply running out of space in it.

On 2/8/2018 at 4:41 PM, ubonjoe said:

People have tried that but were not successful.

Sending  an email to the Embassy will result in getting one by EMS. Others have done it.

For my own peace of mind, I asked the Embassy about this. Of course, you were absolutely right, and the reply I received might be of general interest:

Further to your email, we can provide you a letter to transfer your Thai visa from old passport to new passport. This letter is available for collection at the embassy Monday to Friday from 8.00-18.00. This letter is free of charge and no appointment required.

If it is inconvenience for you to visit us at the embassy, you can provide us with your Thai address and we will send the letter to you by post.

Don't be alarmed by their use of the word "visa": I explained very clearly what I was asking about.

2 hours ago, Bazle said:

Thanks for the comment but, and perhaps I should have made this clearer in my OP, the passport isn't expiring in the short term: I'm simply running out of space in it.

i understood, and i advice to use the old passport. if you dont plan many trips out of thailand than you won't need many pages, so you can save hastle and money - and save a tree...

8 hours ago, Bazle said:

Oops! my apologies. I was relating my own experience and got the two situations confused.