Recommendations For Usb Memory Sticks/thumb Drives

pitrevie

I have an Imation 1GB and 2GB and am very happy with them. Has a right protect switch and the cover is integral to it, no lost caps that way. As for password protection, could use software for that or encrypt the information. About 1.5cm x 5cm in size and very light weight.

I bought a thumb-sized "Lexar Lightning Jumpdrive" USB drive (shiny chrome finish) with 2GB with built-in "on-the-fly" 256-bit AES encryption vault capability... I encrypted a vault of 1.5GB on that thumb-sized drive and left 500MB unencrypted.....it also has a "file shredder" function which allows you to electronically destroy files so they cant be recovered by a nosy person....

Im very happy with it.....BUT it does have a small cap that you could lose (but on the other hand the whole thing is tiny so you should put it on a larger keychain)....

Edited by trajan

Beware of the discount drives, some of them are extremely slow despite their large capacity. If you have a chance to check the drive's speed, do so. If you're using it to move large files, a slower unit will drive you crazy.

Physical write protection is handy for net cafes, i often get virsuses on my drives without this feature when i go to print documents.

Truecrypt is an excellent package for portable encryption, so don't worry too much if the drive lacks this feature. Remember that encrypted data is far more secure than 'password protected' but non-encrypted data.

i saw a Apacer 2 gig in pantip .. top shop, i think IT fever , was around 900 baht , did not need one , but it look very cheap ! i bought a kingston 2 gig for 1800 baht few month go , and still have an Apacer , no problem with any of them

Truecrypt is an excellent package for portable encryption, so don't worry too much if the drive lacks this feature. Remember that encrypted data is far more secure than 'password protected' but non-encrypted data.

Truecrypt is also what I use and agree that it is very good and also fast with a small footprint.

i have used a Twinmos Mobile disk for the past few years. www.twinmos.com

its even been thought the washing machine at least 3 times!!! in fact its had such a hard life its now held together with sellotape, maybe i will get a new one soon.

Its been excellent value and never had a problem, would recomend them.

Edited by markuk

Transcend Jet Flash 110 series 2Gb, 1500? at Pantip.

It has a retractable USB connector so you never need worry about losing the cap and it's a tiny 64x21x10mm

Always check the website or package for the speed rating of any USB drive as they're not all the same, one reason why some are so much cheaper than others. If you can't find out the speed then don't buy. The 110 has a read speed of 12MB and a write speed of 8MB so it's not too slow. It can be partitioned to password protect your data but l also agree that TrueCrypt is very good.

SanDisk are always good, anything in the Cruzer series but maybe not so cheap. The best models are the U3 versions which come with a lot of pre-installed software so you can easily use it any internet cafe. Some people don't like the U3 feature but l've found it very handy myself. I have a Cruzer Titanium as my main USB drive but you can buy the standard version for much less. I can't recall seeing them at Pantip recently but someone must sell them.

I got into the flash memory storage pretty much by accident. I bought a Sony Camera that used Memory Sticks. I had a number of Memory sticks so I bought a reader writer. I found that it was pretty fast so I started using them for storing data as well as photos. I now have another Sony camera that uses them so I am kind of stuck. They are available up to 4 GB now but I don't have any of the high capacity ones. It's sure handy to carry them around. I have a aluminum box that holds eight of them and it fits in my pocket handily. The reader writer is pretty small too and Windows XP has the drivers built in for it.

Sandisk is the one to get. Assuming you want more than just file storage. Their U3 Smart Drive system is brilliant. You literally have the power and functionality of a portable Desktop in your hand. Your programs, widgets, server, security apps are all right there, ready to boot up once you plug it in.

As long as the host computer allows booting from the USB that is, if not, it's still a great storage medium for a Flash Driv.e

MojoPac can turn any USB 2.0 compliant portable storage device, including your iPod, or your USB flash or hard drives, into your Personal Computer. The bare OS only uses about 30MB of disk space.

I have MojoPac installed on my "self-sustaining" iPod. I just connect the iPod to a PC, launch the Mojopac and I have my own custom desktop, with all my applications, wherever I go. It (nearly) eliminated the need for a laptop for me. There is just one "snag." To run MojoPac, you are required to have administrative rights on the host PC. That rules out using it on most public computers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2 or 4GB USB memory stick/thumb drive? I understand that some of them can be password protected so that would be a plus. I am based in Bangkok so anything in Pantip is convenient.

Bought yesterday a Kingston DataTraveller USB stick with 2 GB for 1150 bahts (Supercheap Phuket).

Have 5 year waranty and its fast enough but no extra features like a write protect switch or built in encryption.

Now to figure out how to boot WinXP (BartPE) on this USB stick.

Suggest getting a model with the write protection switch - at the moment there are a few annoying viruses circulating that spread by thumb drives.

Good point. My Sony Memory Sticks have the write protect feature.