hotel choice in downtown Surin

Alex Teo

Hi y'all, as stated in my previous post, the wife and me will be coming to Surin for the elephant round-up this November. After some research on Agoda, I find that hotel choice is quite limited here. Am I correct?

Budget is flexible. But without own transport, prefer to stay within walking distance of city center, especially restaurants and elephant parade activities.

Seems Thongtarin Hotel is the only choice if settling for a proper hotel with a pool. Am I correct? It only has a 7.2/10 rating on Agoda. How do you find it?

What about Fortune Mansion or Surin Mansion? Anyone stayed there before?

Any input or recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Diligad. much appreciated. Is it also called "Surin Majestic Hotel"? Just emailed them.

Majestic have 3 locations. All good.
1) hotel : has pool
2) Apartments : ok for long term rental
3) twin : newest/no breakfast & cheaper.
All good location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure where the Majestic Twin is but I agree with Dilligad's option #1.

The Majestic being just behind/in the Bus Station is as central as you can get and walking distance to Bars, retaurants etc.

Twin is a short distance from the ‘entertainment Soi’ & TawanDeang nightclub and its the newest of the 3.

• Like 1

My wife and I stayed at Majestic Twin recently. Apart from not having a lift (inconvenient if you have heavy luggage) it was very acceptable at the price (500B/Night). It's down the far end of Soi Cola and round the corner to the right and only a 10 minute or so walk to the bus station.

The Surin Majestic hotel is very central - right next to the bus station. The decor is a bit dated as we have been staying there regularly for 11 years and it hasn't had a refurbishment in all that time.  The room rate is high for Surin but the rooms are clean and the buffet breakfast (included) is very good. Staff at both locations are charming and helpful.

I've heard good things about Maneerote Hotel as well but not stayed there yet.

As Dilligad said, book NOW before they fill-up.

Simon

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Now have yet to receive a reply from Surin Majestic.

How about Slive Hotel? Is it also centrally located? Thanks again.

Don’t know it but it looks nearer to Elephant stadium and a bit further away from Entertainment area.

The Slive Hotel is a brand new one, right on the main road (226) opposite Surin Hospital.  It would be a fair walk to the entertainment district, but there is always plenty of transport around the hospital night and day.  I always wondered about the name whenever I drove past it, bringing up visions of slimy slaves, (though, granted, some people might get turned on by that sort of thing), but apparently it's short for sleep and live, which is better than the alternative, I suppose.

• Like 2

The Slive Hotel is a brand new one, right on the main road (226) opposite Surin Hospital.  It would be a fair walk to the entertainment district, but there is always plenty of transport around the hospital night and day.  I always wondered about the name whenever I drove past it, bringing up visions of slimy slaves, (though, granted, some people might get turned on by that sort of thing), but apparently it's short for sleep and live, which is better than the alternative, I suppose.

Saliva ?

• Like 1

Still no reply from Majestic.

Seems the Majestic trio can only be booked direct, by telephone or email. Not possible to pre perchase a room or to secure a room through credit card on their own website or any booking site.

Really don't want to risk arriving there only to be told our room has been sold to a walk-in customer..

Thanks anyway.

Slive costs BHT 1600 per night with breakfast during the elephant round-up, BTW. Not cheap, but what can you do?

Still no reply from Majestic.

Seems the Majestic trio can only be booked direct, by telephone or email. Not possible to pre perchase a room or to secure a room through credit card on their own website or any booking site.

Really don't want to risk arriving there only to be told our room has been sold to a walk-in customer..

Thanks anyway.

Slive costs BHT 1600 per night with breakfast during the elephant round-up, BTW. Not cheap, but what can you do?

Unfortunately the booking procedure has been like that for decades. The first sign of Elephant sh1t and that triples the room prices.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:22 AM, ballpoint said:

I stayed at Slive a few month ago...really impressed with the standard of the room. 7/11 next door, restaurant as well. No pool and being a fair way from the entertainment area would be my negative points. 

I'd stay there again next time, 100%.

• Like 2

I stayed at Slive a few month ago...really impressed with the standard of the room. 7/11 next door, restaurant as well. No pool and being a fair way from the entertainment area would be my negative points. 

I'd stay there again next time, 100%.

But a short walk away from Elephant Stadium if that’s of interest.

• Like 1