Video: Young Thai woman straddles dying man on stretcher in desperate attempt to save a life

rooster59

11 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

Exactly.  On both points.  It was just a tawdry attempt to get extra clicks.  And bravo to the young lady. 

If the rescue worker was a 50 year old matron with a face like a pug dog, the video wouldn't have been posted here as a "news" item. Sexism is alive and well in Thailand.

PS - Just speculating here: But what the article probably also didn't tell us is, the guy died and it probably took the ambulance a half hour or more to reach the hospital, where they would have had a defibrillator and other better equipment/care, because the ambulance was stuck in city traffic and not a single Thai driver on the road pulled over to let the ambulance pass.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too applaud her efforts... 

Latest wisdom suggests that CPR is more effective starting off with 30 rapid Chest compressions then delivering breath 2 breaths followed by a further 30 compression. This is because the blood is theoretically already pre-oxygenated before the victim collapsed.

This is in contrast to the previous recommendations which start with breaths (1:5 or 2:15) followed by compression.

It also has something to do with circulating the pre-existing oxygenated blood through the brain immediately is of imminent importance. 

Given the real nature of this circumstance - a moving stretcher, it is better that anything was done and the compressions are most important. 

Of course, it would be good to see First Responder skills matching those of our home countries and it wouldn't take too much to get the Thai First Responders to these standards, however, in the meantime, anyone with the knowledge, even a little, who does anything to render assistance is deserving of applause and respect.

I agree, I  once read a full General once said in an emergency any decision is better than none at all.

This lady did her best under the circumstances..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yogavnture said:

i feel a bit offended you used the word straddle in the headline...........the man was dying. her job was a nurse paramedic. she was doing her job.  not really appropriate the sexual innuendo

"Straddle" grabs more attention.

Don't you agree?..

• Like 1

On 24/02/2018 at 9:33 AM, steven100 said:

it may appear to some because of her position, she wasn't giving CPR to her victim. If you read the full article you will see jump on the stretcher to apply CPR.

good girl. 

Proves quick thinking can save a life, not just stand by , look and take photos. Well done young woman I take my hat off for you 

On 2/24/2018 at 8:36 AM, sanemax said:

Instead of numerous people posting that observation , could they not just "like" the first person who posted that , rather than repeating it again ?

I'm not sure about the rules here. Is it mandatory to read all posts before posting? Sometimes there are so many pages to read on a topic. 

7 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I'm not sure about the rules here. Is it mandatory to read all posts before posting? Sometimes there are so many pages to read on a topic. 

Well , my point was that we dont need anymore "Cor, Id give er one" kind of posts

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jiggo said:

Worst CPR I've ever seen, and why are the medics not using a defibulater , other than maybe they can not.

Not being able to see the position of her hands on the patient's chest, I wonder how you make this conclusion. The Compression Rate is about right.

As for the use of a Defibrillator, you clearly no nothing about CPR.

Delivering a shock on a moving trolley surrounded by people would be extremely dangerous.

She was attempting to maintain circulation until the patient was in the Ambulance, when full resuscitation can be administered.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Worst CPR I've ever seen, and why are the medics not using a defibulater , other than maybe they can not.

How many real-life scenarios of CPR being performed have you actually witnessed? Did they follow the script like in the movies? Also, you apparently do not know what a cardiac defibrillator looks like if you didn't recognize it in the video.

• Like 1

I believe we are being led down the garden path by the media adding a sexual angle to the story as it involves an attractive young women.

The real value of this story is of course a trained first aider doing her job, but that is too mundane to get us clicking and reading.

Good on that young lady for doing what she did , unfortunately the Man Died

But what she did was very courageous , its a pity more Thais do not react like this.

A video  I saw recently on TV was of an Accident where a Truck mowed down

some people and no body helped the injured, they just stood around and looked on.

If you can save a life you should do it !!!!!!

6 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

How many real-life scenarios of CPR being performed have you actually witnessed? Did they follow the script like in the movies? Also, you apparently do not know what a cardiac defibrillator looks like if you didn't recognize it in the video.

You are talking to an Ex Firefighter and also worked and trained on Ambulance work....is that OK for you....

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Not being able to see the position of her hands on the patient's chest, I wonder how you make this conclusion. The Compression Rate is about right.

As for the use of a Defibrillator, you clearly no nothing about CPR.

Delivering a shock on a moving trolley surrounded by people would be extremely dangerous.

She was attempting to maintain circulation until the patient was in the Ambulance, when full resuscitation can be administered.

So what medical training have you had.....