Tuk Tuk & Limo Drivers Protest In Phuket

NBT TV Phuket

Tuk Tuk drivers protested about the one way traffic system in Patong.

Tuk Tuk drivers on Sunday afternoon staged a rally against the new one way system, demanding that the authority revoke the system. They cited reasons that the new system caused more traffic congestion, instead of solving it, was more dangerous for pedestrians and that it consumed more fuel for them to go around the one way system. The rally followed the authority’s attempt to resolve traffic in the area which began on January 15th. In the evening more than 300 of them drove out along the beach road and caused traffic congestion. Yesterday morning the Phuket Vice Governor Tri Akkaradecha held a meeting with all parties concerned and reached a conclusion. They included a public hearing session which opens for all stakeholders to participate. A local university will be invited to run the session. In the meantime, the one way system will still be in use before the assessment and the public hearing must be done within 45 days, earlier than the previous plan of 3 months. The Tuk Tuk drivers representatives agreed with the proposed solution to prevent any further damage to the local tourism industry

------

Mini-video: Limousine operators at Phuket International Airport ceased their service to protest to the airport authority for letting metered taxies put their service counter nearer to the terminal

Around 150 limousine drivers yesterday morning halted their services in protest against the airport authority for allowing the metered taxies to relocate their service counter near the arrival hall gate. They demanded that the airport authority move the counter back to where it was originally allowed. The counter was reported to have been relocated on Saturday night. The limousine drivers cited the reason that the airport contracted the metered taxis to have their service counter further away as they pay a lot less to the airport, compared to the limousines which pay 700,000 baht per month. The group agreed to resume their service after an airport official agreed to have a crane remove the metered taxi service counter back to its original location. The protest caused inconvenience for tourists who just arrived and waited to use public transport.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=203331

From Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable TV channel 1, Monday 22 January 2007 & www.ThaisNews.com { Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied , but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}

I was out on Sunday night and the one thing that the Tuk Tuk drivers succeeded in highlighting is what absolute scum they are.

Universal agreement from Tourists, Expats and Business owners.

Pity the few people in power only listen to this vested interest group. They cause all the problems and if the traffic is two way again, it will be the ususal gridlock as they continually stop the traffic to perform U turns to chase and fleece tourists.

One came into my friends guesthouse with a long time customer who had just arrived back from Bangkok, his opening sentence was "YOU, you give me 300 baht!". He refused, a mass argument broke out, but he didn't pay him, just paid him for the Taxi from Phuket town.

Who uses them? I am always amazed that people come to Patong so un-informed about this that they use them and perpetuate the problem.

Edited by Dupont

I was out on sat night and witnessed those tuktuk lowlifes pick a fight and then immediately attack the innocent tourist from behind in gang style. I saw the whole thing and they stole the poor guy's mobile phone while he was being kicked like a dog. Right next to the police box on the east end of Bangla none the less...obviously they are not afraid of the cops.

That was just the latest in a long list of unpleasent/dangerous scenes I have witnessed in Patong over the yrs. They are a cancer in patong and some day the people in charge will need to grow some balls and stand up to these bastards. There seem too be more and more tuktuks on the roads lately and with their increasing numbers comes an increase in violence. The two are directly related.