Is it true there is crude oil on Chaweng beach ?

Hi, I have family coming to stay at Briza beach resort and intend to stay there or a hotel nearby preferably on Chaweng beach. I read a recent review of a hotel on the beach which said there was crude oil on the beach there. Plan on going there late April. Anyone living there can give some advice please, thanks ? 

There are off shore oil rigs straight out from Chaweng beach, occasionally some crude is discharged. With the right winds and sea conditions you might come across some oil on the beach. It is usually contained and cleaned quickly by the resorts themselves..

In a thread on another page, the "oil" on Chaweng Beach is mentioned and explained as "natural":

It is NOT an oil spill - just a natural phenomenon - tarry oil leaking upwards out of natural deposits in the Gulf. The fact that it sometimes finishes up on Samui beaches is due entirely to the prevailing winds

and:

The "natural phenomenon" started to develop during the last years, after the startup of oil drilling operations off the shore of Koh Samui in direct proximity of the shore...

–with a link to a page from 2013 showing an image of oil drilling areas...

5ab211dade455_OilfieldSamui.jpg.7109be72322bba860edb56dfe8160a0a.jpg

EDIT:–and replied with:

It has been going on for millions of years. Ancient tropical forests eventually become pitch lakes and tar sands. Sea levels change and ocean beds rise and fall. Fossil fuels exist everywhere in the world. Tapping into them does not release leached material as you are eluding to. The fact there is currently some on Samui beaches is due to the current prevailing winds pushing it in our direction.

Edited by khunPer

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Nope, no crude oil on the Beach 

A little on Lamai beach, a few days ago I came home with some black stains everywhere on my body, back home half an hour in the bathroom to get rid of the stuff. On the beach, I saw 2 Thai men with a big case with a whole lot of material taking samples of the black sticky matter.

• Like 1

I live on the beach in NE Samui (or at least until I can sell my home)... lots of oil is on the East-facing beaches. Most people posting that there is no oil are likely ever on the beach. Try going to Hin Ta - Hin Yai and see the globs of oil on the island treasures. Chaweng Noi was so bad I could get past 100 meters without getting it on my soles.

Samui is not what you would expect... very dirty, crowded, and with little-to-no Thai culture. Lots of commercial operations to make you feel at home though.

7 hours ago, muratremix said:

Just go to another beach if you can. Choeng mon beach is usually clean. Beach near Tong krut area is also clean (south of Island)

Yes, lots of options. The Northern beaches are (so far) fine. I've been living here for more than 10-years, and living BF I see, and walk on, a northbound sandy beach every day, and I never noticed any oil, or anything like it...:smile:

12 permanent living here, never seen oil. 

The people advocate this not want you to come here. 

Example,,,, tr

16 hours ago, Seducedbytheseas said:

I live on the beach in NE Samui (or at least until I can sell my home).

Yes, wanna sell my house but they must know the beach outside is oil-filled.... Lol no

I was on Chaweng Beach near Blue Lagoon about two weeks ago, and yes, there were globules of thick black oil about 1" in diameter.  I presumed they had come from a boat. There wasn't a lot of it, but not nice to walk in.