Results of health check up- Uric acid?

Orton Rd

Had a very full check up done at Param2 Hospital for a very reasonable price, got the results today. Blood pressure and cholesterol a bit high and Uric acid high. I had a high BP and cholesterol result at Bumrungrad (years ago) but when I got re tested back home they said normal, so not too concerned about that. The uric acid reading was 7 and the Dr suggested cut down on red meat esp liver- but I have not eaten either for 45 years, beer also, but I cut that down by 50% in the past year. Looking it up one of the main causes is diuretics medication, could this be linked to powders for constipation I regularly have to take? The one I use you can get in 7/11 similar to fibre gel but works better. Can't think of any other causes.

Not a direct answer to your question, just some info.

Certain kinds of cheese can run up your uric acid. Elevated uric acid may lead to a gout attack or kidney stones. For long term persistently elevated uric acid levels there are medications to lower your uric acid levels. I'm on one such (having had both gout and kidney stones). Of course dietary modification is best, but only if you know what to change!

I suffer with Gout on a regular basis, had a blood test for Uric acid a couple of weeks ago and the result was 6.4 which the Dr was happy with, but I still get Gout attacks, I take Alloprinol (Xandase) 100mg 1 tablet daily to keep the level down and until recently had not had an attack for about 2 years.

The Dr told me not to eat Chicken !! Unfortunately I like all the things that can kick off an attack, Red meat, Mushrooms, Chicken, Beer, Red wine, G n T, Baked beans.......... And the list goes on and on, so unless I become a Vegan Tee-totaller I am just going to live with it as I refuse to allow it to spoil my life/fun.

Don't know about the powder you take for constipation, I never have that problem as I find 5 or 6 large Archa beers seems to churn the bowels up enough never to have suffered with that ailment.

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I suffer with Gout on a regular basis, had a blood test for Uric acid a couple of weeks ago and the result was 6.4 which the Dr was happy with, but I still get Gout attacks, I take Alloprinol (Xandase) 100mg 1 tablet daily to keep the level down and until recently had not had an attack for about 2 years.

Ask your doctor why he doesn't recommend a higher dose of allopurinol. From what they told me, 6.4 ought to be low enough to avoid attacks, but maybe your level fluctuates and you need to try to lower it more to lower the 'peaks' below the threshold for gout (which I thought was around 10).

No ,it is nto in any way related to the constipation powder, which is nto systemically absorbed.

While individual  labs vary in their reference range, 7 is usually the upper end of normal for men.

Do you eat much seafood? anchovies, herring, sardines, mussels, scallops, trout, haddock, mackerel and tuna will all tend to elevate uric acid levels.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No ,it is nto in any way related to the constipation powder, which is nto systemically absorbed.

While individual  labs vary in their reference range, 7 is usually the upper end of normal for men.

Do you eat much seafood? anchovies, herring, sardines, mussels, scallops, trout, haddock, mackerel and tuna will all tend to elevate uric acid levels.

I know that this question was aimed at the OP but as a sufferer of this god awful & painful affliction I would like to add my two penneth, I don't eat fish, maybe once every 6 months I might indulge in battered fish and chips & if away from home may have a prawn dish or 2 but that is it, I do like my cheese (too much) and beef, but many things can kick off an attack and rather than trying to isolate which one or ones does I am not going to bother at this stage of my life, I think I will just up my Alloprinol intake to 2 a day one in the morning and one before bed with a large glass of water.

Having checked with my Dr and online I know that 200 mg a day is well within the limits.

I also found it strange that the Dr here told me to avoid Chicken as I was under the impression that Red meat and Offal like Liver, Kidneys, hearts etc were a no no due to the elevated Uric acid content, which is a real bummer as I love Liver & Bacon, but as I said in my earlier post many foodstuffs are connected to gout I just can't be arsed to quit everything I like. :biggrin: 

And since based on your sig you seem to have a fondness for wine, FWIW: http://blog.arthritis.org/gout/wine-gout-flares/

I was taking 200 mg/day for a few years until I moved to Mexico. I think my US doc started me on 100 mg then upped it to 200 after a while when the number didn't go down enough to satisfy him. Here in Mexico the pills available are 300 mg. Too much trouble to try to take 2/3 of a pill, so I've just been taking 300 mg for the last year and a half. My Mexican doc said it was ok. So far no side-effects for me at all.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

On 04/04/2018 at 7:50 PM, Sheryl said:

Do not eat fish or meat, looking into the numbers the wost ones are 266 for Triglyceride and 6.5 for the diabetees test. Probably a good idea to retest at another place? The Dr only mention the uric level and high cholesterol as a problem.

I have been on 300mg of Alpipurinol for over 4 years due to a diagnosis of gout.The pain was massive.  However, I have changed my lifestyle,lost weight and started to doubt my diagnosis made in the ME. To this end  I had a uric acid test.4.5. But is this because of the AP? So om going to watch my diet,move down to 200mg....get a uric acid test....then hope fully if all well....go to 100 mg....then test then quit. I have been assured by the Doc at BPH if my withdrawal leads to a gout flare up the pain can be contained ...that is my main issue.  BTW research done recently has  changed on plant based purines. Gout which can reside in any joints not just the toe is considered to be one of the most,if not the most painful conditions in existence. Although not life threatening in the short term it is damaging in the long term..

Do not eat fish or meat, looking into the numbers the wost ones are 266 for Triglyceride and 6.5 for the diabetees test. Probably a good idea to retest at another place? The Dr only mention the uric level and high cholesterol as a problem.
A triglyceride of 266 would be very serioud indeed but where does OP say that?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A triglyceride of 266 would be very serioud indeed but where does OP say that?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I started off by thinking about the Uric acid as that's is what the Dr mentioned but when I looked at the numbers others things like the TG of 262, got that a bit wrong, and the diabetes test at 6.6 seemed far more of a concern

her_cr.png

You should indeed be prioritizing your high TG and LDL and low HDL.

This is ntio unrelated to your high Hb1AC - google "metabolic syndrome"

This is the biggest threat to your health. Anyhow the borderline high uric acid will like;y come down as a by-product if you improve weight and diet to address the lipedemia.

You need to:

lost weight if at all overweight

Cut out all processed carbs/processed food

Reduce alcohol intake (it's pure sugar) if applicable

Increase fiber intake (oatmeal is very good)

The above 3 things are far more important than reducing dietary fat, though if you are consuming a lot of saturated fat bringing that down is good.

The last key thing is to increase exercise. this plus the above dietary changes will in themselves reduce weight.

Increased intake of fish or fish oil supplementation will help up your HDL.

Ordered exercise bike and will get fish oil pills (don't eat fish) already cut down booze by 50% in the last year and always had high fibre low fat diet. Thanks a lot for the advice, better than the Dr gave!

Great. Don't forget to try to eliminate processed carbs. Very important. No processed foods, white breads, white rice/pasta (or as little as possible). Switch to whole grain and smaller portions (which is easier to do with whole grains). more veggies.

Archived