Art Confusion in Bangkok

George Bowman

So if you study art you must be able to explain what art is?

For me this is the result of a (probably) girl from a wealthy family who went abroad to study art. When she came back the family gave her a large budget to build her artwork and she just copied something from Japan or the West, mixed a bit of herself in it and this was the result.

I would call them the buttlickers..maybe they get famous one day, who knows? Maybe it's an Asian thing that fallang no undastaaan.?

9 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

This belongs to what Tony Hancock referred to as the "Infantile school" in the classic 1961 film The Rebel. 

image.jpeg.64a254f27012fd751ef6783cd70cd6a7.jpeg

And this, is this art? The maker of it got an awfull lot of money for it and the thing is on a world tourney now to Singapore, Hongkong and so on...

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

image.jpeg.64a254f27012fd751ef6783cd70cd6a7.jpeg

And this, is this art? The maker of it got an awfull lot of money for it and the thing is on a world tourney now to Singapore, Hongkong and so on...

It's in the eye of the beholder - modern art is designed to provoke and view things from a new perspective. I saw this in situ in Hong Kong Harbour a few years ago and it was certainly impressive, due to it's enormous scale, and surreal backdrop. The thing in the OP on the other hand holds no artistic merit for me. 

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

It's in the eye of the beholder - modern art is designed to provoke and view things from a new perspective. I saw this in situ in Hong Kong Harbour a few years ago and it was certainly impressive, due to it's enormous scale, and surreal backdrop. The thing in the OP on the other hand holds no artistic merit for me. 

For me the only art is the real paintings made by the best painters (like Rembrandt and so) who can paint like a photograph and without any projectors or tools.

Look at this ridiculous piece of art, it was in the museum of Boijmans van beuningen, all peanutbutter...but a visitor walked in it (55555)...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor pindakaas kunstwerk

1 hour ago, Thian said:

For me the only art is the real paintings made by the best painters (like Rembrandt and so) who can paint like a photograph and without any projectors or tools.

Before the 19th century, all artists had to paint this way, depending on the skill of their hand, their eye, and their ideas and interpretation. It's worth pointing out that many new forms of art going back centuries were dismissed and ridiculed by the traditionalists of the time. Rembrandt was an example of an artist who was respected and popular throughout his life, but Van Gogh was the opposite and only ever managed to sell one painting!

On 4/4/2018 at 5:42 AM, missoura said:

My 19-year old daughter studies Art and even she was unable to explain this display outside of a large shopping mall in Bangkok. Anyone have any ideas?

If your daughter wants to impress her art teacher, tshe could describe it as a wry commentary on the vacuity of consumerism, three large emoticon type caricatures bowing down in front of Central Mall, fashioned in the style of Jeff Koons. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Haha 1