Refinishing Teak Hardwood floor

JDJBali

Does anyone have any advice of companies to contact in Chiang Mai for restoration of a Teak Hardwood floor? I am in process of renovating and older condo and find that the hardwood floors are beautiful and would like to refinish is all rather than replace? Thanks for any advice or contacts in advance.

All the best,

Jerry

Well if it's Teak I would not be putting a varnish sealer on it 

Teak is a wood with natural oils, so I reckon it would need brush painting with Teak Oil ( maybe sanding with a floor sander after knocking down the nails )

There are a lot of shops around that sell the wood flooring.  Asking them would be productive, they can recommend independent contractors.  Teak oil is rarely used to finish Teak flooring in Thailand. Polyurethane is generally used, consider getting flat or semigloss.

Find out what it was finished with originally. This will let you know what to do now.

If urethane, use this again. If another product, try and use the same thing.

If a change is wanted, all the old finish should be removed first. This can be a big job.

Beware - the color will most likely change after application.

Ban Tawai is where I would go and ask.

Any loose boards ? If you can, take a sample.

Edited by canthai55

Agree 100% with canthai. It's a bit like oil based paints and water based paints...you maybe able to use one on top of the other but not the other way around.

Although teak oil is great to use on outdoor furniture it's not recommended for flooring partially because it can and will trap dirt.

To get a really great looking floor it may need professional work with an industrial floor sander. Sorry I don't know who to see about that.

It's like any good 'paint job', you have to get the base sorted out first. The more prep work you put in the better the end product (Generally speaking).

Good luck.