Obtaining a passport for my son without mothers consent

Kenny202

Recently legitimised myself as my sons father through the courts. Myself and his mother were not married. I've basically been taking care of hime since he was 6 months. Now he is 2yo. I am still in contact with her although not on good terms. She has basically abandoned him same as she has done with three other children. In the past she has agreed to attend to things for him but never follows through and I doubt very much she would agree to a passport.

I have enquired into full custody through the courts but it is expensive and doubtful on the outcome. 

I am now registered as his legal father.

Can I apply for a Thai passport without her consent?

Even if I obtained a passport for him could I leave the country without her consent?

He is an Australian citizen by decent (to me)....Could I obtain an Aussie passport without her consent?

I am guessing the answer to all of these questions probably no...but there must be others in my position where the mother has dissappeared 

or even gone to another country and is uncontactable. Anyone here been through this or has experience?

• Like 2

I have done this recently. Similar situation. I made my son Australian by descent. I then got his Australian passport through the Embassy in Bangkok. As you are Australian only you can apply for his passport. You can do the application online and print out. I can't remember if she has to sign or not. If you bring him back then obviously he would need to go through immigration procedures. 

In February I took him to Australia to put him up for adoption as I am too old, don't have enough money, his mother doesn't want him and he needs continued medical attention as he has been diagnosed with 2 types of cerebral palsy. All I needed to take him out of the country, other than his passport was his original Thai birth certificate. The original is required as he has no entry stamp in his passport as he was born here. A special stamp was placed in his passport and I went to the Thai Consulate in Brisbane when there to see what it meant and all it is is what I described. I have no intention of bringing him back as he is getting excellent treatment at the Lady Cilento Hospital in Brisbane paid for by the government and Adoption Queensland.

As far as the comment by Rc2702 goes, I am not sure what he is on about.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have done this recently. Similar situation. I made my son Australian by descent. I then got his Australian passport through the Embassy in Bangkok. As you are Australian only you can apply for his passport. You can do the application online and print out. I can't remember if she has to sign or not. If you bring him back then obviously he would need to go through immigration procedures. 

In February I took him to Australia to put him up for adoption as I am too old, don't have enough money, his mother doesn't want him and he needs continued medical attention as he has been diagnosed with 2 types of cerebral palsy. All I needed to take him out of the country, other than his passport was his original Thai birth certificate. The original is required as he has no entry stamp in his passport as he was born here. A special stamp was placed in his passport and I went to the Thai Consulate in Brisbane when there to see what it meant and all it is is what I described. I have no intention of bringing him back as he is getting excellent treatment at the Lady Cilento Hospital in Brisbane paid for by the government and Adoption Queensland.

As far as the comment by Rc2702 goes, I am not sure what he is on about.
Thanks for your detailed reply. Are you saying you didn't need his Thai mother to sign permission to leave the country

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks for your detailed reply. Are you saying you didn't need his Thai mother to sign permission to leave the country

Yes. I didn't really understand it myself. I just needed his passport and original birth certificate and he was allowed to leave with me. Maybe because he had an Australian passport. Maybe if he had a Thai passport he might not have been able to leave without mothers consent. She was from Myanmar, me from Oz and him born Thailand his birth certificate listed him as "No Nationality" and also "Someone who is in Thailand illegally or temporarily." And that is why I started to get his citizenship and passport as he literally had nothing. At that stage his mother still wanted him. He had died at the age of 6 weeks and was revived in hospital but only after 10 to 15 minutes without oxygen and hence suffered brain damage. It became too much for his mum. I miss him very much but he is in the best of care.

If I can help with anything else let me know.

This is him on the flight to Australia.RayPoint.jpg.45d60a4c4eed35f13b3df086c5fe0a48.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. I didn't really understand it myself. I just needed his passport and original birth certificate and he was allowed to leave with me. Maybe because he had an Australian passport. Maybe if he had a Thai passport he might not have been able to leave without mothers consent. She was from Myanmar, me from Oz and him born Thailand his birth certificate listed him as "No Nationality" and also "Someone who is in Thailand illegally or temporarily." And that is why I started to get his citizenship and passport as he literally had nothing. At that stage his mother still wanted him. He had died at the age of 6 weeks and was revived in hospital but only after 10 to 15 minutes without oxygen and hence suffered brain damage. It became too much for his mum. I miss him very much but he is in the best of care.

If I can help with anything else let me know.

This is him on the flight to Australia.RayPoint.jpg.45d60a4c4eed35f13b3df086c5fe0a48.jpg
Very sad story. My friend who is still with the child's mother and the child has a British passport ....were travelling back to England for a holiday. He told me they made a huge fuss at Suvanabhum and would only let him and the child leave the country after lengthy phone calls with the Thai mum who was staying behind

37 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Very sad story. My friend who is still with the child's mother and the child has a British passport ....were travelling back to England for a holiday. He told me they made a huge fuss at Suvanabhum and would only let him and the child leave the country after lengthy phone calls with the Thai mum who was staying behind

I guess like anything in Thailand it varies all the time. I had no issues at all. And, as I mentioned, I was surprised myself.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Maybe because he had an Australian passport. Maybe if he had a Thai passport he might not have been able to leave without mothers consent. She was from Myanmar, me from Oz and him born Thailand his birth certificate listed him as "No Nationality" and also "Someone who is in Thailand illegally or temporarily."

Based on other threads about parental permission for passport and leaving Thailand, your (user Dazinoz') case seem to be different, as your child is not a Thai national, but Australian national only. with a mom from Myanmar and "No Nationality" listed on the Thai birth certificate. The birth certificate needed in Immigration was to show, why there's no entry stamp in your son's Australian passport.

I cannot comment on a mothers (both parents) acceptance is needed for applying for an Australian passport – probably different from Dazinoz' case, where the child had "No Nationality" (stateless) – often an embassy would request both parents approval; that was for example the case with my embassy when applying for a Danish passport for my Thai national daughter. I'm also not married to the Thai mom, but it's not a problem for me, as we live together on good terms.

You (probably) cannot apply for a Thai passport without the mother's consent. My daughter and her mom applied for a Thai passport for my daughter when she was 7½ years old, but they were told to come back together with the father. For us it's a hole days outing via ferry to travel to a passport office, so they got an extra sightseeing trip, and me too...:biggrin: Also when renewing the passport after 5-years, I needed to be present.

Leaving Thailand with a minor might be a problem without consent from the mother, depending of the age of the child, family name etc. There's a standard form (letter) for that purpose, which shall be obtained at the local Amphor (same office as issuing ID-cards); the mother need to be present, and copies of Passports, and/or ID-card together with House Book(s) are needed. There's a small fee to be paid, I think I paid about 150 baht at our amphor about a month ago (I'm travelling alone abroad with my daughter next month).

Some fathers have posted in TV-forums that they have left Thailand with a minor having same family name without any problem, but the age of the minor might be an issue. I took my daughter on holiday to Singapore without her mom, when my daughter was 11 years old, using her Thai passport; she's having my family name. No questions were asked, but we brought the mom with us to Immigration, waiting on the other side of a glass wall, just in case (something we could do at Samui, but it's not possible to do at all airports; therefore I need a letter when we are alone in Suvarnabhumi Immigration next month).

My girlfriend, my daughter's mom, took her abroad without me, shortly after my daughter got her first Thai passport, and no questions were asked in Immigration; presume a Thai national child with a grown up Thai (mom) is not an issue – different family names – however I had in a way given permission when applying for her passport.

:smile:

You need to have a letter that you are allowed to leave the country with your child.this letter need to be signed by both parents

The reason is to prevent facing a case of (international) child obduction.

The ampur letter can be used but seems not always be enough.

You actually need a signed letter by the mother and this on it a copy of your passport and her passport.

And of course the passport of the child.

This signed by her and you.

Then you need birth certificate, and a signed copy of the house book.

Not forget the court order of being the legal parent and the registration of the court order at the ampur.

Thai Passport of the child and your passport. And rhe passport othe child of ypur country

This makes all clear and impossible to enter the unforseen problems like child obduction.

Leave with the thai passport and enter home country with his other passport.

This was provided by the immigration office when I went there for my son three weeks ago.

Thai Passport was quick had it in 3 days. You need a court order or the mother present when apply.

And if youu have vusa take care of thai,national - child all is even better when leaving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

You need to have a letter that you are allowed to leave the country with your child.this letter need to be signed by both parents

The reason is to prevent facing a case of (international) child obduction.

The ampur letter can be used but seems not always be enough.

You actually need a signed letter by the mother and this on it a copy of your passport and her passport.

And of course the passport of the child.

This signed by her and you.

Then you need birth certificate, and a signed copy of the house book.

Not forget the court order of being the legal parent and the registration of the court order at the ampur.

Thai Passport of the child and your passport. And rhe passport othe child of ypur country

This makes all clear and impossible to enter the unforseen problems like child obduction.

Leave with the thai passport and enter home country with his other passport.

This was provided by the immigration office when I went there for my son three weeks ago.

Thai Passport was quick had it in 3 days. You need a court order or the mother present when apply.

And if youu have vusa take care of thai,national - child all is even better when leaving.

Obviously I was lucky to get away with what I had.