New regulation for International License to Thai License?

mike324

Are there any new regulation for changing from International Driver License to Thai Driver License? Mainly any written tests? I read on some sites, it says you need to sit in a 2 hour safety class.

I know the following are required:

International driving license of the homeland 

Driving Licence of country of nationality (Is this still needed if you have International License? prefer not to show so I won't need to translate it, does it need to be notarize by embassy if its needed?)

Passport with Non-Immigration Visa

A Letter of current residence certified by the embassy of your country / immigration

Photocopies of the passport.

Health certificate 

Thanks

There is no such thing as an international drivers license, its another (incorrect) name for an International Driving Permit. An IDP is a "translation" document that "accompanies' your home license and translates it. "its not a license!

Most DLTs (they are often different) will usually accept home drivers license, res certificate, medical certificate, some may require a translation (IDP). Also, usually a basic reflex/vision test.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

I understand from above I dont need a IDP to get a licence as my current licence is in English. But just to be safe I do have one,  it expires in two weeks from the date I intend applying once I am in Thailand. So if they were to ask me for IDP would it still be valid for the process with just two weeks remaining? tia

2 hours ago, Jim P said:

I understand from above I dont need a IDP to get a licence as my current licence is in English. But just to be safe I do have one,  it expires in two weeks from the date I intend applying once I am in Thailand. So if they were to ask me for IDP would it still be valid for the process with just two weeks remaining? tia

They have no reason to ask you for an IDP if your home country licence is in English..

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

TIT but the answer is still the same... Don't even present your IDP and the expiry date becomes a non issue..

I understand that, but if they do, and we all know despite any rules that they may do, will two weeks remaining be ok? I ask because passports have to have a certain amount of time remaining to be valid in many circumstances, is the permit similar? I really dont have the time to get a new one if it would definitely be ok. I assume it will or they dont need it as you say but what is the experience of others who may have been in a similar situation despite the rules.

No one can answer your question for certain...it depends on the person you deal with on the day...so if your licence is written clearly in English with your photo on it..they should except it with no need for an IDP
If (unlikely) they ask for an IDP then give them your expired one and hope they dont notice.
I didn't need an IDP to exchange my UK licence to a Thai one.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

No one can answer your question for certain...it depends on the person you deal with on the day...so if your licence is written clearly in English with your photo on it..they should except it with no need for an IDP
If (unlikely) they ask for an IDP then give them your expired one and hope they dont notice.
I didn't need an IDP to exchange my UK licence to a Thai one.

Its not expired John, it will still have two weeks remaining, so should be ok yes?

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 10:35 PM, cornishcarlos said:

TIT but the answer is still the same... Don't even present your IDP and the expiry date becomes a non issue..

cornishcarlos is correct. IDP is not needed. Don't present it unless asked. Doubtful the expiration date will matter. It's just a translation document.