Thai International Driver License

In few weeks I depart with Thai wife to Europe for 2 months and I have a car there.

With a Thai driver license you cannot drive a car there but must have a International driver license, such a license is only a translation what I know, can a certified translater do the job or need I go to a special office somewhere in Phuket or BKK to obtain such driver license ?

Who has expirance ?

Dragon

You should get an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Different EU countries have different rules, the UK rules are rather vague too (although it seems you DON'T need an IDP), which doesn't help. :o

Getting an IDP will remove any problems with validity, you get it at the place you got your Thai licence. I believe you must have the 5 year Thai licence, I also understand that not all land transport offices issue IDPs so a couple of phone calls may be a good idea.

Also note that certain countries frown upon their nationals driving at home with a foreign licence, you should really renew your national licence for total legality.

I understood that you could drive in the UK on a Thai license for a period up to six months. Insurance may be a different issue.

Yeah, that's my interpretation of the rules on the DVLA site.

But, in order to be safe if stopped by a British Bobby, who most likely won't read Thai, and is likely to be somewhat dismissive of the Thai licence (I could do better with my inkjet printer), an IDP is a minimal expense :D

The DVLA information is unclear as to whether UK nationals are permitted to use a foreign licence to drive in the UK.

Agreed, insurance could be an issue if it is a private (non-hire) vehicle :o

UK nationals must have a valid UK driving licence.

International licences from other countries are not valid in the UK if you are a British citizen.

I hold a 5 year Thai licence but I recently re-applied for my photocard UK licence and it was clearly outlined in the accompanying leaflets from the DVLA.

Hmmm, interesting, because this page http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...ing/DG_10023103 says this:-

If you return to GB from a non-EC/EEA country and are not in possession of a GB licence, you may:
  • drive for up to 12 months on your foreign licence
  • apply for a duplicate of your GB licence on payment on payment of a fee

Just to add to the confusion :o

Checked the leaflet again (D100 from the DVLA) and it pretty much contains exactly the same information as the site you linked to.

Sorry for misinforming, I presume that information you gave is correct. :o

No worries :D

It took me a while to find that quote on the DVLA site, there are several pages there that SUGGEST that it's OK to use a foreign licence, but only that one that actually says so. :D

Typical UK government web site, vague :D

I have driven many times in UK using a foreign driving licence, twice I have been pulled over for speeding. Both times my licence was accepted when I confirmed that I was Ordinarily Non Resident, once with my Arabic DL and once with my Thai.

So with a valid Thai license you're ok for 6 months? I guess you'll need it translated?

In the UK it's 12 months, other countries may differ.

The DVLA site doesn't actually say you need a translation. BUT, I'd get an IDP anyway if you have no European licence, for the cost it has to be good insurance particularly if you intend hiring a vehicle (Thrifty [and probably others] want to see a translation OR an IDP if you have a licence with non-Western characters).