Which area do you recommend I look to rent a modern house/condo?

Santogold

Hola hola :)

I would love to get your thoughts on a good neighborhood to live in. Here's some info:

Moi:

• 39 year old, single, male (sounds like a dating ad, 555)
  • Self employed
  • 5 year visa (though I plan to renew and stay here permanently)

Housing/Neighborhood Criteria:

• Looking to rent a modern house or condo, 1 - 3 bedrooms.
  • Max monthly rent: 50k baht
  • If it's a condo, I want a great view of the hills and green landscape.
  • If it's a house, I want to be surrounded by greenery and have some space/privacy. Not a fan of the homes practically wall to wall in some of the moobans.
  • Want to live outside the city, up to 30 mins from Nimman.
  • I have my own transportation, so driving places is not an issue.

The Serene Lake area is very nice, especially the homes in the Nantawan mooban. However, they are too close to each other. The North Arena condos there are great though, very nice - but would still like to hear about other places.

Which areas do you recommend I look at?

Buy the 13 million baht corner unit on the 4th.floor at the Resort Condos.  Twenty minutes to the old city, quiet area, easy access to the outer ringroad and the superway, five great places to eat within walking distance, Maya Mall ten minutes away and Central Festival Mall twenty minutes away.  This unit is gorgeous and comes fully furnished.  All this being said, 50K for rent??? You are a dot com billionaire or just having a go at us normal Expats???

Hi Idman, thanks for the info. I'd like to rent, not buy, but I'll check out the Resort Condos you mentioned to see if any rentals are available.

The max 50k rent is for real. I'm not rich but I do ok for myself. If I came off as trollish with my first post, it wasn't my intention. I'm pretty new here and still learning the etiquette of the forum.

Plenty of condos and houses all over.

In the city a condo will be from 6k + utils 

In the burbs a 2 bed house will be from 6k + utils

If you are looking at adverts in English, double the asking price.

This forum is full of shills trying to sell or rent you something at double the going rate, 'cos you admitted to being a wealthy Noob.

(even 25k/month is beyond most ThaiVisa posters wildest dreams)

Do not trust white foreigners.

I've rented condo's

Nuanpranee Guest house, Mitrpranee road, 6k/month central location for moat/bars/foreigners (fridge/aircon)

Emporium Residence, Santhitham Road, 6k/month central location for Thai beer bars and Thai students (fridge/aircon).

Houses at

Doi Saket, 3 bed 7k/month in the country but really too far to travel to town (part furnished aircon).

Beyond Hang Dong, 2 bed 7k/month nobody for miles, but really too far to travel to town (furnished aircon).

Don Keow, 2 bed 6k/month, nice place but moved due to road works, all finished now (part furnished aircon)

Essentially if you're paying more than 12k/month you're being taken for a mug, or living in a luxury pool villa.

I wouldn’t contact any of the agents... Better to just lurk around their website and if you see something you like go to the condo or gated community yourself and ask the condo office about units for rent of drive around that moobaan and look for for sale signs... There are also a few Facebook groups that are specific to real estate...

If I were new to the city I would stay closer to the Nemanheim area... Check out the area just to the north west of there it’s a more secluded green area but still easy to get in the city...

Go in this area...

Mountain Front Condominium
https://goo.gl/maps/8YzDWaNFDc92

If you want to be closer to the Night Bazarr area check out condos on Chang Klang Rd.... This is the newest addition there...

The Astra Condo
https://goo.gl/maps/mAoWZNKn5m22

If you want a green area outsid the city take a look at this condo...

https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/listings/chiang-mai-condo-jfzlhdef

Here are the condos I’d be looking at in that price range.

Twin Peaks (make sure you’re not facing Shangri La as the air conditioning system is loud)

Peaks Garden (same area as above)

The Resort Condo (I hear the internet is slow and cannot be upgraded but not sure if that’s true

Mountain Front

Kantary Hills

On 5/7/2018 at 12:37 PM, Santogold said:

If it's a house, I want to be surrounded by greenery and have some space/privacy. Not a fan of the homes practically wall to wall in some of the moobans.

THIS is the difficult part and I totally get what you are looking for since it has always been top of my search criteria too.

Chiang Mai is awash with modern housing estates (moobaans) within 30 minutes of the city and they are soul destroying places to live in if you are someone who cares for privacy and natural beauty. Surprisingly (to me) many people don't seem to care about either criteria and hence you'll get recommendations like the one above for a pill box house on a postage stamp patch of land in Rim Tai at ridiculously high rentals (25K in that case).

Before buying, I rented was a modern 3-bed 230 m2 house with over a rai of garden surrounded by rice fields and a great view of Doi Suthep. That cost me 10k a month, in Maerim. You very rarely if ever would find a house like this through real estate agents. You have to get out and search for yourself.

For 50K a month, you'll definitely be able to find the house you are looking for. Even the real estate agents would be able to find such a house for you at that price.

If I were you I'd start by checking out all the agents online and shortlist any places you like the look of. You may be lucky and get what you want. Or while checking them out mark the areas that you like  on your GPS and go back to search other houses in that area by yourself later.

I rented a brand new 2 bed 2 bath house in nong hoi, around 10 mins drive from city centre. 

Just saw an ad on rimping supermarket notice board.

Fully furnished.

Stay away from the rip off farang agents.

I lived in Karnkanok 3 in Chet Yod, very quiet, green, view of Do Suthep, 5 minutes to city, less than 20000 for a one bed on two levels, two baths, pool in the centre of the block also then Nong Hoi on a lovely moo ban, view not great but quiet as a mouse, pool 50m up the road.

Many nice moo bans along road to and through Hang Dong, check out behind Kad Farang which has a Rimping supermarket for foreign food, Wine Connection restaurant and and many others, all the comforts of home (even McDonalds) but in a Thai setting. 

If you want to build your own I have some land for sale near a National Park off Canal Road about 15km from the city, quiet enough for a retreat but only 300m from what will soon  be a 4 lane highway, but still quiet as shielded by vegetation/trees!

TRY

Baan Wang Tan for big gardens and stylish houses, restaurant and pool , try Sansiri for good modern Moobaan with good club house and swimming pool.  South of Chiang Mai is very convenient for airport, immigration and access to the mountains.  Take your time.  Rent for 6 months minimum before you leap.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, Peasandmash said:

try a realty service. that's what i did. the farangs here don't have 50k a year to spend on rent let alone a month.

speak for yourself mate.

not all of us are poor.

contact these mate, and ask for Pond.

She showed me a lovely house near to Doi Sakhet which I rented for a year.

I used these a couple of years ago.

Tell them what you are looking for and spend a day viewing with them.

Equally, you can look on the web site, they have loads of places.

Top tip: check that good internet is available in the area of the house that you want.  Fiber is available all over now.

My tip is to go for AIS, especially if you want to stream international stuff over the internet, because they do not strangle/throttle your bandwidth.

Just now, nickmondo said:

Top tip: check that good internet is available in the area of the house that you want.  Fiber is available all over now.

My tip is to go for AIS, especially if you want to stream international stuff over the internet, because they do not strangle/throttle your bandwidth.

https://perfecthomes.co.th/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv8PrrqP62gIVzxSPCh0qdwMUEAAYASAAEgLV_fD_BwE

1 minute ago, nickmondo said:

https://perfecthomes.co.th/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv8PrrqP62gIVzxSPCh0qdwMUEAAYASAAEgLV_fD_BwE

On 5/8/2018 at 2:25 AM, idman said:

Buy the 13 million baht corner unit on the 4th.floor at the Resort Condos.  Twenty minutes to the old city, quiet area, easy access to the outer ringroad and the superway, five great places to eat within walking distance, Maya Mall ten minutes away and Central Festival Mall twenty minutes away.  This unit is gorgeous and comes fully furnished.  All this being said, 50K for rent??? You are a dot com billionaire or just having a go at us normal Expats???

define normal expat, because those i know are paying 40-80k on average to live in sukhumvit sathorn etc.

30-40k will get you a 1 bedroom in a good newer building on the sky train.

I happily am the rare exception, because i lucked into a house 15 years ago and the rent is locked, but i do all my own repairs and pay for all maintenance, replacement of acs etc for the sole reason my rent is cheap. Sadlywork keeps me away most weeks, but its such a steal i couldnt store my furniture for less.

since when is 1500 usd expensive for a modern 3 bed house or luxury condo?

EDIT: oops my bad, thought you were talking Bangkok.

Disregard.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:52 AM, Santogold said:

Hi Idman, thanks for the info. I'd like to rent, not buy, but I'll check out the Resort Condos you mentioned to see if any rentals are available.

The max 50k rent is for real. I'm not rich but I do ok for myself. If I came off as trollish with my first post, it wasn't my intention. I'm pretty new here and still learning the etiquette of the forum.

there is no etiquette to the forum there is only the tension between those who are skint and those who aren't.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:34 AM, sfokevin said:

I wouldn’t contact any of the agents... Better to just lurk around their website and if you see something you like go to the condo or gated community yourself and ask the condo office about units for rent of drive around that moobaan and look for for sale signs... There are also a few Facebook groups that are specific to real estate...

If I were new to the city I would stay closer to the Nemanheim area... Check out the area just to the north west of there it’s a more secluded green area but still easy to get in the city...

Go in this area...

If you want to be closer to the Night Bazarr area check out condos on Chang Klang Rd.... This is the newest addition there...

The Astra Condo

Not practicable.   He'd never find the advertised places and besides they'd be old listings anyway.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:09 AM, peterpop said:

TRY

Baan Wang Tan for big gardens and stylish houses, restaurant and pool , 

End of the airport runway, jets overhead every 5 minutes 24/7, lots of soi dog pack problems

Houses rented to foreigners at 2x the price of everywhere else.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

End of the airport runway, jets overhead every 5 minutes 24/7, lots of soi dog pack problems

Houses rented to foreigners at 2x the price of everywhere else.

What a load of rubbish.  BWT covers a huge area and although it's close to the landing approach, only the western end is subject to anything like the kind of noise you describe.  You want serious aircraft noise - pity the folk that live on Nimmenhamen...

BTW the airport doesn't run 24/7.  Yet.

16 minutes ago, Greenside said:

BTW the airport doesn't run 24/7.  Yet.

I flew in on the daily Air Asia 1:30am (landing time) flight from Changsha a few months back and it wasn't the last flight of the night.

Your definition of 24/7 and my definition must be different.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, HooHaa said:

define normal expat, because those i know are paying 40-80k on average to live in sukhumvit sathorn etc.

30-40k will get you a 1 bedroom in a good newer building on the sky train.

I happily am the rare exception, because i lucked into a house 15 years ago and the rent is locked, but i do all my own repairs and pay for all maintenance, replacement of acs etc for the sole reason my rent is cheap. Sadlywork keeps me away most weeks, but its such a steal i couldnt store my furniture for less.

since when is 1500 usd expensive for a modern 3 bed house or luxury condo?

EDIT: oops my bad, thought you were talking Bangkok.

Disregard.

You do bring up a good point though.  I guess to compare CM or any other place now to behemoth BKK.

I had a studio in BKK  a few years ago.  Went back recently things have skyrocketed in the main areas.

I now a couple of guys paying 60k + near Asoke.

Anyway, CM I am slowly liking more and more.  20 minutes outside the city you can find houses decent prices.

I know the Chinese etc. love to visit CM, but now sure if they are buying up the place like they are starting to do in Pattaya.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:24 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

Plenty of condos and houses all over.

In the city a condo will be from 6k + utils 

In the burbs a 2 bed house will be from 6k + utils

If you are looking at adverts in English, double the asking price.

This forum is full of shills trying to sell or rent you something at double the going rate, 'cos you admitted to being a wealthy Noob.

(even 25k/month is beyond most ThaiVisa posters wildest dreams)

Do not trust white foreigners.

I've rented condo's

Nuanpranee Guest house, Mitrpranee road, 6k/month central location for moat/bars/foreigners (fridge/aircon)

Emporium Residence, Santhitham Road, 6k/month central location for Thai beer bars and Thai students (fridge/aircon).

Houses at

Doi Saket, 3 bed 7k/month in the country but really too far to travel to town (part furnished aircon).

Beyond Hang Dong, 2 bed 7k/month nobody for miles, but really too far to travel to town (furnished aircon).

Don Keow, 2 bed 6k/month, nice place but moved due to road works, all finished now (part furnished aircon)

Essentially if you're paying more than 12k/month you're being taken for a mug, or living in a luxury pool villa.

Thank you for the detailed and in-depth info MaeJoMTB, that's very helpful.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, Peasandmash said:

try a realty service. that's what i did. the farangs here don't have 50k a year to spend on rent let alone a month.

I may do exactly that. I've been searching around on my own a lot lately. Starting to think that hiring an agent may be a better use of my time now that I'm more familiar with the areas. 

On 5/9/2018 at 9:34 AM, sfokevin said:

Go in this area...

The Astra Condo

I actually live in Nimman now. Been here for about 9 months. Love the convenience but want more open space. I drove to Mountain Front (didn't go inside though). The location is nice and green with a good view, but the building itself looked run down from the outside and saw a couple balconies with trash all over. Doesn't give me much confidence that the place is run well. 

Astra is a nice building but the location is too far from nature.

I really like that Green Valley condo you listed. The area is a bit further than I want but I do love the area it's in so I'll definitely consider that one, thank you.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:06 AM, Antonymous said:

THIS is the difficult part and I totally get what you are looking for since it has always been top of my search criteria too.

Chiang Mai is awash with modern housing estates (moobaans) within 30 minutes of the city and they are soul destroying places to live in if you are someone who cares for privacy and natural beauty. Surprisingly (to me) many people don't seem to care about either criteria and hence you'll get recommendations like the one above for a pill box house on a postage stamp patch of land in Rim Tai at ridiculously high rentals (25K in that case).

Before buying, I rented was a modern 3-bed 230 m2 house with over a rai of garden surrounded by rice fields and a great view of Doi Suthep. That cost me 10k a month, in Maerim. You very rarely if ever would find a house like this through real estate agents. You have to get out and search for yourself.

For 50K a month, you'll definitely be able to find the house you are looking for. Even the real estate agents would be able to find such a house for you at that price.

If I were you I'd start by checking out all the agents online and shortlist any places you like the look of. You may be lucky and get what you want. Or while checking them out mark the areas that you like  on your GPS and go back to search other houses in that area by yourself later.

The type of place you described is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Thank you for the tips. ?

On 5/10/2018 at 11:14 AM, nickmondo said:

Ah cool, I will do that. Appreciate the info and referral!

On 5/10/2018 at 8:48 PM, johnnysunshine said:

Check out the Mae Hia/Suthep District Office/Wat Pong Noi area.   Great community forming here.   Air seems a bit cleaner at least to me.   Close to the mountains and off Canal Road South (Hwy. 121).   Not overgrown...yet!

I love the Mae Hia area. Definitely looking there. ?

On 5/18/2018 at 6:19 PM, mikey88 said:

Who does a five year visa...?

Someone who puts a high value on time, freedom, and convenience is a good candidate.

1 hour ago, Santogold said:

I drove to Mountain Front (didn't go inside though). The location is nice and green with a good view, but the building itself looked run down from the outside and saw a couple balconies with trash all over. Doesn't give me much confidence that the place is run well. 

Thanks for the info.  That was actually one of the condos I recommended in a previous post.  I haven’t been there for about 5 years.  Just goes to show how the nice shiny condos turn to **** in a relatively short time.

Archived