Need Suggestions on buying car in Thailand

Soon i'll be moving to Thailand with my family, a wife and 2 daughters. I need few suggestions from respected thaivisa forumers regarding purchasing car in Thailand.

1. My job might require me to travel long distance every now and then, quite possibly travelling from/to Bangkok - Northern Thailand at least once a week (~1500KM roundtrip per week). For such case, should i opt to buying second hand car OR totally brand new car? My budget is limited to 600-800K baht.

2. Any suggestions cars with 7-seater for family to choose from? Please give me your recommendation of the brand and product line. I prefer something like Toyota Avansa or Daihatsu Xenia type as they pricing are within 600-800K baht for brand new and quite spacious for family travel. But i wonder if they are good for occasional long distance travelling? I have no knowledge of car mechanism and absolutely do not want to get stranded with a dead car in the middle of nowhere.

3. What are the required documents do i need to prepare to buy new or second hand car? Am i oblige to buy car insurance? How is the payment term?

4. How do i apply for Thai Driving License? My wife & kids are Thai, she has her own driving license but mine isnt Thai-issued.

5. This is just a hypothetical question; as said above that i dont have any prior knowledge on car repairement, what car's brand is best for its wide array of service center? Or at least what car has lesser probability of ever giving me headache regarding its machine?

Thank you for any suggestion.

If you want 5/7 seats then it's a choice of

Toyota Fortuner,

Isuzu MU-X

or Mitsubishi Pajero.

(All the above are tried & tested good quality reliable vehicles)

Defo buy NEW not S/H

They're all priced over your budget (1.3 to 1.5M bt) so if you buy new a main dealer will gladly offer you a 3 or 5 year payment plan as long as you have a work permit and the more deposit you pay the lower the monthly payments become.

Edited by sotsira

We also looked at the Toyota Sienta, and  Honda Mobilio.

We now only spend part time in Thailand and have a Mitsubishi Mirage for the few months we are there, but when we we move there full time mid next year, after looking at everything, we are leaving toward a four door pick up truck (i like the Chevy Colorado) I realise it is not a seven seater but plenty of room for four, heavy substantial vehicle,  and the utility of a bed for home and garden.Plus diesel economy and durability.     

NEW OR USED: 

My used/new consideration involved a general malaise about preventative and corrective maintenance habits and lacking consumer protections.  That said, you "can" pick up a solid used car here, just be very meticulous.... as you would be with any big ticket purchase.    The thing that pushed me to buy new was our area had a major flood +/-2 years before we arrived and I didn't want to take any chance.

1.  Distance driving.  If it makes a difference to you, diesel fuel less expensive here than gasoline. 

2. ---

3.  Re: Insurance, yes you need to buy and seems the usual custom, and in our case, is full insurance is included or "negotiated in" when you buy new here.    Just to give you a general idea, our 2013  3.0L engine 7 Seat Fortuner was 23,500 Baht to renew full insurance after the first year.  We haven't had accident or claim, price goes down every year.  Last year 15,xxx. Baht.  This year I think wife said it will be 13,xxx.

4. Thai Driving License.  Review topic pinned to this sub-forum to get a general idea about it first, then ask specific questions and get more updated information for where you will be living. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/920562-thai-drivers-license-checklist/

5: Brand reliability.   Mine field question. LOL.  But, I go along with Toyota as a long-standing "reliable brand".   That said, I've only had Toyotas here, and before Thailand, a Toyota Landcruiser, so I'm probably biased.