Drain Fall: 42 Stitches Later, Pregnant Woman Wants Answers

webfact

Drain Fall: 42 Stitches Later, Pregnant Woman Wants Answers

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

29512922_860171664165364_579608910882220 

File photo of a poorly covered hazard in Bangkok’s Bang Phli district. Photo: Thailand Footpath / Facebook

BANGKOK — A pregnant woman Tuesday lodged a protest Tuesday with the government after she fell into a poorly covered storm drain, badly injuring her leg.

Kwanjai Jansert, who is eight months pregnant, was entering the Chatuchak Weekend Market yesterday afternoon with her husband when she slipped and fell down into a drain that was only covered by an unsecured piece of wood.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2018/05/15/drain-fall-42-stitches-later-pregnant-woman-wants-answers/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-15
  • Sad 1

want's answers? i can answer her; unfortunately the provision of and maintenance of pavements and public walkways is not a priority for national or local government, and while there seems to be no effective repercussion for not maintaining public rights of way such incidents will continue to happen. next.

it's not just thailand, i was backpacking in pakistan years ago and a fellow traveller had a nasty fall one night into an uncovered drain in an unlit street.

Edited by samsensam
clarity
  • Like 2

The first time I came to LOS I recall seeing a huge hole in the road in Sukhumvit.  There were no warnings, barriers or flashing lights.  If you drove into it then you were screwed.  Nothing has changed.  TiT.

Well sorry for her, but it seems to me she forgot where she comes from. Those traps can be found all over the country at any time. Unfortunately, the reality is far away from what she sees in the daily soaps.

Remember walking down a dark street in Jakarta once, where 2x1m covers were completely missing, out of curiosity I walked back next day in daylight. It would have been 4-5 meters, if you don't drown or anything else, the rats would have done the rest.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, YetAnother said:

sorry for her trouble, happy not worse; hey, face it, it is a third world country; have to watch every single step

Correct but how can anybody not see that lot, unless of course their mind is somewhere else doing something else

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YetAnother said:

have to watch every single step

while your watching the floor  how do you watch for low hanging signs and cables,rabid soi dogs,motorbikes  and facebook at the same time ?

• Haha 2

while your watching the floor  how do you watch for low hanging signs and cables,rabid soi dogs,motorbikes  and facebook at the same time ?
You got to learn from locals here who can keep their eyes glued on their phones while evading all the hazards around.

18 hours ago, YetAnother said:

sorry for her trouble, happy not worse; hey, face it, it is a third world country; have to watch every single step

That is because to properly keep the area in repair ,the head of that department could not take the tax money meant for the up keep and buy his son a new Benz.

• Like 1

Who ever put the wood there did the best they could.

She will be told that she doesnt need to be upset and love thailand and its people that are happy with things not being right and perfect and that she should be thankfull shes around such good buddhist people.

Im sure the person that put the wood there has already told everyone what a good job he did.

If any compensation was asked for the guy will be poor, unemployed, sick family members, etc, etc.

Its Thailand.....should change the slogan to "embarassing Thailand"

Years ago in Phuket between Kata beach and Karon beach, there was drains missing

covers. Using a flashlight was the only safe way to walk at night. Also paying attention

in the day time was necessary, No Texting! Guess these days with smart phones and

dumb people it is getting even more dangerous. At least in my opinion..

Geezer