Bangkok Postal System

kyb789

I have never used the postal system here, but now I need to send some documents around the world. Is the Thailand system dependable or do I need to upgrade to a more expensive carrier? I have documents going to the U.S., and I also need to receive a few things from the U.S.

Any advise for the newbie? Anything I should fear? Thanks in advance.

I have never used the postal system here, but now I need to send some documents around the world. Is the Thailand system dependable or do I need to upgrade to a more expensive carrier? I have documents going to the U.S., and I also need to receive a few things from the U.S.

My experience with the Thai postal system has been quite positive. I have received and sent letters, parcels and special delivery items with no complaint.

I do have problems receiving magazines however. The security guard at my apartment building is quite honest and vigilant, he is the one who distributes the mail, and I am sure it is not him. So it must be something to do with the postal service, but I have no proof.

I had a disastrous experience with FedEx and would not use them again to send important documents. I would rather use the Thai postal service. This is just based on my own experience.

If you want to make sure it gets there you can use EMS (Thailand Post express service), but its almost the same price as FedEx. EMS documents to US is around 600B and FedEx is around 700B. The Thailand Post is handled by TNT going to the US. I've used both and never had any problems. My gf works for TNT and recommends the use of FedEx.

Edited by jbsears

I have used UPS, FedEx, DHL and EMS

None are cheap but in my experience all provide a reasonable standard of service.

You can track your parcel as it moves around the world.

My most valued possession (my passport) has circled the globe several times (courtesy of DHL) without a problem.

I understood that registering or recording it only worked while it was still in Thailand. Once it got to the next place it was not the Thai postal service's responsibility. I am probably wrong though

By regestering you can specificly check where it is, even abroad, as someone must sign for it, I never send anything abroad unless it regestered. Also it stops it getting nicked at the other end too :o .

Mail box inc is pretty good. :o:D:D

For incoming I use a university address instead of home. This way the package will arrive. I asked everyone back home not to send anything to me, birthdays, xmas's, whatever, because it simply never arrived.

I also want to point out that I was twice robbed by anonymous UK postal staff, ATM cards then the PIN envelope one week later. So, for international mail, I wouldn't be suspicious of just Thai posties, it's the sorters back home too.