Opening an international bank account

International bank account. All are or they do not exist. 

I have a couple of yoers ago asked Citibank Thailand is they have a clear connection with the Citibank you think you talk about. They did not know shit. That was at the office in Bangkok.

You can also say that all accounts are international. You can make international transfers, and you can use an atm to take money out. App in your mobile and all is hunky dory.

Edited by Get Real

1 hour ago, AlphaCanadian said:

personal international bank account

I really think you would have to explain what this should mean/include.

1 hour ago, AlphaCanadian said:

on a tourist visa should it be fairly simple

Possible but not as simple as you might hope.

And also you can only open a "savings account" (no credit, no credit card).

Also you might be refused to get internet access to the account.

You can receive transfers from abroad but sending money back can be tedious.

I don't know whether Citybank would give you an advantage over the major banks.

Citybank is basically non existent out of Bangkok.

Not even sure whether they are a member of the Thai bankers association and the cashpool of the major banks.

I would stick to one of the majors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Thailand

(some data heavily outdated)

Don't expect to easily find staff speaking acceptable English just because of an "international" name.

I assume you stay in Bangkok?

To open a bank account you need a proof of residence (address in Thailand).

Some banks take it easy others want a letter from the immigration office, others will require one from your embassy/consulates.

At some branches you will be sent away as they are lazy/unknowing.

Others are ignorant and insist you need a "work permit".

Prepare for some "fun".

Finding the right branch is key to success.

When I was a tourist to Thailand I opened a savings account in 2009 at Kasikorn in Pattaya (Royal Garden) using a hotel business card and my passport.

Out in 20 minutes with bank book plus internet access data.

No idea whether it is still that easy?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

citibank here in bangkok hasn't been mentioned as a good place to open accounts.  maybe someone can correct me on that but that is what i've been led to believe reading the bank account boards for awhile.

UOB has been somewhat friendly to opening an account for a foreigner on a tourist visa.  they have a branch on sukhumvit.

it is more difficult to open an account than it used to be.  and as noted already, you need to ask for a 'savings' account.  you may also be required to go to your embassy to get a letter saying your passport is real and provide proof of address in bangkok.

• Like 1

If you want a global bank account you'll need to look to a global bank, HSBC or similar would fit the bill but sadly no longer in Thailand. So as others have asked, what do you mean by an international account?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/2/2018 at 12:51 PM, AlphaCanadian said:

personal international bank account

If you are referring to multi currency accounts, they are not available in Thailand, however you can open separate Thai Baht and Foreign Currency Accounts.

"I don't know whether Citybank would give you an advantage over the major banks.

Citybank is basically non existent out of Bangkok.

Not even sure whether they are a member of the Thai bankers association and the cashpool of the major banks.

I would stick to one of the majors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Thailand

(some data heavily outdated)" 

Why knock Citibank so much?  It meets all the requirements that local Thai banks need to do in order to operate legally here and is fully licenced.  What relevance does membership of the Thai Bankers Association have when it is regulated by the BoT?  Citi is one of the majors and is right there on the list that you linked to.

On 6/3/2018 at 2:02 PM, lkv said:

If you are referring to multi currency accounts, they are not available in Thailand, however you can open separate Thai Baht and Foreign Currency Accounts.

Nonesence....! Foreign currency accounts are readily available from practically every bank in Thailand, each will allow up to about 14 different currencies.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/993518-foreign-currency-account-any-good/

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Nonesence....! Foreign currency accounts are readily available from practically every bank in Thailand, each will allow up to about 14 different currencies.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/993518-foreign-currency-account-any-good/

Unlike places like say Hong Kong, where you have one account number under which you have 11 currencies, in Thailand, for each currency, you need another account with a different number.

15 FCDs each holding one currency is not the same as one multi currency account holding 15 currencies.

Makes sense?

Edited by lkv

12 minutes ago, lkv said:

Unlike places like say Hong Kong, where you have one account number under which you have 11 currencies, in Thailand, for each currency, you need another account with a different number.

15 FCDs each holding one currency is not the same as one multi currency account holding 15 currencies.

Makes sense?

Semantics.

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Semantics.

Right well, you called my post nonsense and it wasn't, where myself at some banks i hold a multi currency account and at some others,several foreign currency accounts.

Edited by lkv

The term International bank generally refers to banks that are located in a particular country but only offer their services to non-residents of that country. There can be many reasons why this type of banking would be appropriate, but probably not what the OP is looking for.

• Like 1

I opened a current account at Bangkok Bank in Nakhon Sawan last year on a tourist visa. My wife acted as my referee and I even got a free Chelsea FC shirt. When asked for my visa I simply showed her the entry stamp in my passport which she photocopied. I also got a Thai drivers licence with just a tourist visa. It certainly is easier out in the sticks than major tourist areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

Citibank in Thailand is its own entity as Thai banking laws are not compatible with western rules.

I have a USA citi account and have no access to my account from the Bangkok citi branch because of this.

It's not that they are not compatible, it's just that Thailand requires all banks to be Thai banks rather than linked international banks. I bank with UOB which is a Singaporean bank but the Thai entity is known as UOB Thailand which is completely separate from UOB Singapore, they are separate and different companies. Ditto CIMB, a Malaysian bank which in Thailand is established as CIMB Thailand and doesn't connect with the rest of the CIMB network. I think the fact that THB is a restricted currency plays a role in this, as does BOT's desire to ensure to ensure foreign banks don't penetrate the Thai banking system and take control.

17 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

It's not that they are not compatible, it's just that Thailand requires all banks to be Thai banks rather than linked international banks. I bank with UOB which is a Singaporean bank but the Thai entity is known as UOB Thailand which is completely separate from UOB Singapore, they are separate and different companies. Ditto CIMB, a Malaysian bank which in Thailand is established as CIMB Thailand and doesn't connect with the rest of the CIMB network. I think the fact that THB is a restricted currency plays a role in this, as does BOT's desire to ensure to ensure foreign banks don't penetrate the Thai banking system and take control.

My statement is a direct quote from Citibank and I have no reason to doubt them.

On 6/8/2018 at 2:53 PM, 5633572526 said:

I bank with UOB which is a Singaporean bank but the Thai entity is known as UOB Thailand which is completely separate from UOB Singapore, they are separate and different companies. 

Not quite true. They are one company. Or how could you check your Singapore balance on a UOB Thai ATM?  Apart from this with a Singapore account you can more easily open a UOB Thai a/c.