Atm Problems, I Have Money In The Bank

I've tried 3 ATMs in my area now, they all tell me the same thing, that I have the money in the bank but I can't take it out :o

Does anybody know if there is a bank that will do ATM transactions over the counter like they do in Cambodia?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nikkijah :D

I've tried 3 ATMs in my area now, they all tell me the same thing, that I have the money in the bank but I can't take it out :o

Does anybody know if there is a bank that will do ATM transactions over the counter like they do in Cambodia?

Not sure about over the counter but something is very strange if you are going to authorized ATM's. Not knowing what bank you are with the only advice I can give is to contact your bank and find out why you cannot withdraw your funds.

Good luck

Not sure about over the counter but something is very strange if you are going to authorized ATM's. Not knowing what bank you are with the only advice I can give is to contact your bank and find out why you cannot withdraw your funds.

Good luck

Thanks for your input, I just called the Halifax Plc and they checked my card and my account and they confirmed that there is no problem with either. they did however confirm that there have been problems due to fraud but does this explain why I can't withdraw cash at ATMs??

The phone operator asked his boss who said that it is possible to go into many banks and even shops(!!) in Thailand and withdraw money over the counter but in all my time here I've never heard that one before...

Is anybody else having problems with their ATM at the moment??

My parents from the UK had problems when they came to Bangkok in October - both with their ATM and credit cards. Due to the high levels of fraud their bank (Lloyds TSB in this case) were not allowing any transactions from Thailand without first speaking to the cardholder. Once they had done that, there was no problem whatsoever.

I had to laugh when I was told recently (for the second time in six months) that cash machines outside one particular bank are only for Thais. The smile soon disappeared from this persons face when I produced that very banks ATM card from my wallet.

Edited by andy1308

Contact your bank is the answer.

Did you know that a single misdelivered statement sent back 'not known at this address' will result in an IMMEDIATE freezing of your account and believe me with the large numbers of temporary non English speaking Eastern European postmen this happens regularly according to Nationwide, especially Xmas time .

Good luck

Thanks for your input, I just called the Halifax Plc and they checked my card and my account and they confirmed that there is no problem with either. they did however confirm that there have been problems due to fraud but does this explain why I can't withdraw cash at ATMs??

The phone operator asked his boss who said that it is possible to go into many banks and even shops(!!) in Thailand and withdraw money over the counter but in all my time here I've never heard that one before...

The problem is that it is not the banks who issue the cards - it is a separate card issuing company. What you should do is advise them that you are in Thailand and want to use your card here (I assume it is a Visa card). Their contact number should be on the card. When I'm coming here I always tell my bank and card issuing company.

Any unusual transaction can result in a 'freeze" on your card or a security check is triggered. Go into a bank with your card+ passport (preferably one where they are likely to speak some English)and tell them you want to make a withdrawal. it will either be approved or you will be asked a security question first. This normally solves the problem.

Good luck

The problem is that it is not the banks who issue the cards - it is a separate card issuing company. What you should do is advise them that you are in Thailand and want to use your card here (I assume it is a Visa card). Their contact number should be on the card. When I'm coming here I always tell my bank and card issuing company.

Any unusual transaction can result in a 'freeze" on your card or a security check is triggered. Go into a bank with your card+ passport (preferably one where they are likely to speak some English)and tell them you want to make a withdrawal. it will either be approved or you will be asked a security question first. This normally solves the problem.

I've been taking money out of this account for over 6 years in Thailand so it's not about the Halifax thinking it is fraudulent, as I said before, the guy in the call centre said he had checked my account and my card and that there is no problem with either, I'll just have to try again tomorrow and hope I can get my money out, otherwise I'll be relying on Western Union Money Transfer which is the biggest money transfer con on the planet :D

Thanks for your suggestions though :bah:

Anybody else experiencing ATM problems from accounts they've ebe n using in Thailand for ages?

Nikijah :D

whenever I want more than 20k in a transaction I go to any bank offering a good exchange rate, produce my cc and my passport and take whatever I want.

same same cambodia

"any bank offering a good exchange rate"

Agreed except sadly you will not know the rate that will be used to convert your funds until you receive your (online) statement one or two days later.........not with Nationwide anyway

With the N/W Flex a/c card you can check your Balance on the ATM before even making a with drawel and also again afterwards so should never be a problem with the exchange rates...

also since No transaction charges or exchange rip-off deductions (fees)then as they say you should always be "quids in"...yeah.. :o

Anybody else experiencing ATM problems from accounts they've ebe n using in Thailand for ages?

Nikijah :o

I have on occasion had problems with ATM's outside the central tourist areas. Even though the ATM's were displaying VISA and MasterCard logos I was unable to get money on my international card. No problem with my local card in the ATM or with my international card at the same time in other nearby ATM's. And the problems hasn't just been temporary, in one ATM in Bangna where I lived I was never able to withdraw money over a period of more than a year.

Sophon

Not had a persitent problem in Thailand (NW Flexaccount), occasionally get 'time out' or some other message but an alternative machine usually coughs up.

I NEVER made the same card work in the Netherlands, no problem with the account, not blocked, just would not work :o

Thanks again for your replies

Today I tried again in several different ATMs and they're all saying pretty much the same thing - even ATMs around Banglampoo and Chatujak :o

I received an email from the Halifax today, confirming that my card is fine and my account is fine again :D

I'll try inside the bank as londonthai has said but the problem is that my card is a debit card, not a credit card, will this still work??

Today I tried again in several different ATMs and they're all saying pretty much the same thing - even ATMs around Banglampoo and Chatujak :o

I received an email from the Halifax today, confirming that my card is fine and my account is fine again :D

I'll try inside the bank as londonthai has said but the problem is that my card is a debit card, not a credit card, will this still work??

Had the same problem last year and did the same things, contacted bank ect. and was told the same thing "No Problem" when you in a diff. country and can not access money that is a problem. What I ended up doing was requesting replacement cards which came in about a week and have had no problems since. But I did set up a wire tranfer to Thailand just in case........

debit card works fine - problem will be with electron card (flat imprinted writing on the card). My wife tried yestarday her electron at the atm and in the bank - no success

Edited by londonthai

Had the same problem last year and did the same things, contacted bank ect. and was told the same thing "No Problem" when you in a diff. country and can not access money that is a problem. What I ended up doing was requesting replacement cards which came in about a week and have had no problems since. But I did set up a wire tranfer to Thailand just in case........

I'll see how it goes tomorrow and if I still have no luck then I'll have to request a new card, I don't have any other choices!

Had problems drawing money out of the ATM yesterday and day before, with a Thai bank card. None of the machines had enough money in. One machine gave me the choice of withdrawing 2000 max in 100Bt notes. Eventually after 4 machines got some money out but it would give me 10000 max and my limit is way over that.

I know its the end /beginning of the month but I have never had this problem before - v. strange.

Hi

I'm with the Halifax too & have had the same problems, my g/f is with HSBC & her card won't work either - all ATMs saying communication error or contact your bank. Both banks have confirmed money in account, cards not cancelled. We went to Siam Commercial today in CM & said we can't get money out of ATMs and they swiped it, took a copy of passport & gave us the cash, we got 20k out no probs.

Hope you get sorted, it was awful being poor for a day!!!

Hi

I'm with the Halifax too & have had the same problems, my g/f is with HSBC & her card won't work either - all ATMs saying communication error or contact your bank. Both banks have confirmed money in account, cards not cancelled. We went to Siam Commercial today in CM & said we can't get money out of ATMs and they swiped it, took a copy of passport & gave us the cash, we got 20k out no probs.

Hope you get sorted, it was awful being poor for a day!!!

The best news I've had since last Thursday!!

What coloured bank is Siam Commercial? I only know them by their colour :o

I've been transferring my money to my mums Halifax account since Thursday then she's been sending me money using Western Union! and the fees are absolutely fraudulent! I'll have to wait for the bank to open again on Monday now though :D

Thanks again :D

I am currently in Koh Tao and up until now I have been able to withdraw cash from the ATM. The first card to stop been accepted was the Intelligent Finance card. Both mine and my b/f card were rejected. The bank said that they couldn't see any reason why it would be rejected. Then the barclays card was rejected saying communication error. Do you think this is just a temporary problem as Thailands communiactions seem to go down quite often.

Any suggestions would be a great help as I'm a bit worried about getting stranded on the island. :o

there is always draw from the bank counter - even if they can't get connection to your bank they can imprint your cc on a slip and you have to sign (as they use to do before pdq machines arrived)

Right, I've just checked my card and for a start it's not a CC(credit card), it's only a debit card. my other concern is that the print on the card is only slightly raised and probably not enough for a conventional machine to pick up the print :o

So, peoples experiences are that it is possible to get cash over the counter if you have either a credit card or a conventional debit card which has raised print...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to either use the ATM once again or that my card will be accepted over the counter despite the print not being raised enough :D

good luck to you too viks

Tried my SCB ATM last night at a non-SCB ATM. Got a communicaton error message. Stuck the card in again and worked fine.

TH

My fingers are crossed for Monday morning, I have tried my card in dozens of machines of all different banks in various areas and I've got that error message in every single one of them :o

I have been having the same problems for the last week using my Royal Bank of Scotland card. I have tried several ATM machines and the bank have told me that they cannot see any record of me trying to access funds.

I keep getting a message saying "INVALID TRANSACTION OR INVALID ACCOUNT".

My bank has confirmed that there is no problem with my account and suggest that it might be a "communications problem".

I am not convinced and have now ordered a new card.

Edited by JustinCredible

I have been having the same problems for the last week using my Royal Bank of Scotland card. I have tried several ATM machines and the bank have told me that they cannot see any record of me trying to access funds.

I keep getting a message saying "INVALID TRANSACTION OR INVALID ACCOUNT".

My bank has confirmed that there is no problem with my account and suggest that it might be a "communications problem".

I am not convinced and have now ordered a new card.

I'm now convinced it's not because of my tatty card :o

It seems that ordering a new card is the way to go, pain in the arse though as I'll have to wait for it to arrive at my UK address then I'll have to have it forwarded to here - I could be waiting 3 weeks for a new card :D That amounts to rather large charges on Western Union :D