One Of My Front Teeth Keep Staining

bmanly

I generally have quite good teeth and rarely need any dental work as I take good care of them. I have this problem where one of my front teeth keeps staining. I don't smoke but I have the occasional coffee and a few beers and my diet is pretty good.

I go to the Dentist about once a year to clean this up but now the dentist is saying that I should turn up twice a year as the stain is pretty bad. I've tried things like Colgate’s "Simply White", where you brush on a substance and they say after 2 weeks your stains are gone but it just doesn't work.

So my question is, why is it that only one healthy tooth stains and none of the others? The other question is apart from 6 Monthly Dentist cleaning what can I do about it?

Thank you.

I generally have quite good teeth and rarely need any dental work as I take good care of them. I have this problem where one of my front teeth keeps staining. I don't smoke but I have the occasional coffee and a few beers and my diet is pretty good.

I go to the Dentist about once a year to clean this up but now the dentist is saying that I should turn up twice a year as the stain is pretty bad. I've tried things like Colgate’s "Simply White", where you brush on a substance and they say after 2 weeks your stains are gone but it just doesn't work.

So my question is, why is it that only one healthy tooth stains and none of the others? The other question is apart from 6 Monthly Dentist cleaning what can I do about it?

Thank you.

try a small brush,and a dab of dulux brilliant white gloss! :o

is it an upper tooth or a lower tooth, and does it have a tooth coloured filling in it ?

It is the bottom middle one, no fillings at all. The tooth is naturally slightly back a bit more than the others. I'll put in a photo; it's not that clear but it might help.

post-5966-1170247514.jpg

the fact that the tooth is set back from the dental arch means that when you brush , that tooth does not get brushed properly , the bristles of the brush just dont hit it and clean it.

you can either get it brushed by a dentist every 6 months or when the staining gets too bad , or you can buy one of those brushes that only has one tuft. if you cant find one , then just remove all the tufts from a toothbrush except one or two , (so that the available tufts are not wider than the tooth ), and use that brush for cleaning that imbricated incisor after your normal toothbrushing.

or you could have orthodontic treatment to realign the tooth fully into the dental arch !!

I give that tooth extra treatment. I use an electric toothbrush and give it a good hiding but it still stains. I think I will take yours and Brits advice and just get the Dentist to do it twice a year. Might try that one tuft brush too, thanks for the advice, just thought there might have been something on the market that may remove these.

another contributory factor is that because of its position it will have less contact with the moistness of the inner surface of the lip , this constant washing with saliva will help dilute and remove staining material such as coffee etc.

this is absent or at least much reduced on that tooth.

deep staining on imbricated lower incisors is very common.

imbricated

1. overlapping in sequence, as tiles or shingles on a roof.

2. of, pertaining to, or resembling overlapping tiles, as decoration or drawings.

3. Biology. overlapping like tiles, as scales or leaves.

have a look at the photo of bmanlys lower incisors.