Hello! Chiang Rai

MadameM

How is the weather there? Are we in the rainy season yet?

I'm thinking of renting the condominium for a couple of weeks while looking for a long-term rental place. I have seen a lot of ad. on D-Condo. Are they good?

Any condo. otherwise?

I should be there by September. Getting so excited about the trip! The last time I was in CR was almost 10 years ago. I hope CR doesn't change much.

Of course it has changed Madame M more people more trafic, business, pollution etc that comes with supposed progress. But all the things that you fell in love with 10 years ago are still here, and the heart of the people has not changed. They are still wonderfully warm and friendly. So don't judge it too quickly everything changes but it core is the same as you will find. And like others have suggested don't rush into locking yourself into a location. I know if you give it a bit of time you will find the PERFECT spot to live  and enjoy your retirement up here in the beautiful north as so many others have and more are seeking it out all the time. All the very best and an early welcome.

• Like 1

AFAIK there are only two condos in Chiang Rai - the Condotel, and D-condo. D-condo is up-market, the Condotel is more budget at 6500 - 9000 baht/month. Condotel now has a good cafe with falang and Thai food.

You may be battling to get a condo rental of less than a month in Chiang Rai. There seems to be a clampdown going on.

• Thanks 1

In CR, there are plenty of decent smaller hotel-type accommodations with spacious rooms (say 25 sqm instead of 30 meters at Sansiri) that would do nicely for a few weeks or a few months. I stayed in one of these places, and it was a nice stay, good value, for a few months while finding a house.
The difference with an apartment being not having a kitchen, but having to step out to get a freshly prepared meal that, sometimes, is cheaper than the ingredients in a large supermarket chain, and getting the room cleaned at regular intervals.

Edited by KKr
added comma 3 pieces
  • Thanks 1

Sound like I got a friend -- friends! Thank you so very much.

I just got a 1 month rental at Condotel to start out. The price isn't cheap, though. I found the place through FlipKey, which I ended up paying in GBP not USD. Oh! Well! Just a month to start out and it is still much cheaper than staying at the hotel. We're a picky couple with many requirements -- 2 bedrooms with separate living room; I need a kitchen -- don't think I can buy clam chowder for the Mr. in CR, so I need to cook it; he needs a swimming pool, air condition, satellite TV ... The 80 sq. m. at Condotel seems to be the best fit.

Thanks for all the responses. You guys make me feel so warm at heart!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MadameM said:

Sound like I got a friend -- friends! Thank you so very much.

I just got a 1 month rental at Condotel to start out. The price isn't cheap, though. I found the place through FlipKey, which I ended up paying in GBP not USD. Oh! Well! Just a month to start out and it is still much cheaper than staying at the hotel. We're a picky couple with many requirements -- 2 bedrooms with separate living room; I need a kitchen -- don't think I can buy clam chowder for the Mr. in CR, so I need to cook it; he needs a swimming pool, air condition, satellite TV ... The 80 sq. m. at Condotel seems to be the best fit.

Thanks for all the responses. You guys make me feel so warm at heart!

it will indeed be hard to find Clam Chowder in CR, except tins in an upmarket supermarket ? 
Enjoy your stay, and good luck. PM me if you need a 5-Bed 3-B house .

Randell... and all, of course,

"But all the things that you fell in love with 10 years ago are still here, and the heart of the people has not changed. They are still wonderfully warm and friendly."

I'm always fascinated by people of the north. The first time I was in the north (Chiang Dow, Chiang Mai) was with my college friends. Waking up early in the morning and walking alone along the quiet road -- foggy, cool, and sweet air, to be surprised by the local talking to me kindly. Hate to say that I was born and raise in Bangkok, and in Bangkok -- even 40 years ago, we didn't talk to strangers. If someone approached me in a street of Bangkok, I should feel tense, suspicious, and prepared. My mom's house is still in Bangkok, but Bangkok has changed rapidly -- not the one I've been growing up with! Well! having been away from Thailand for such a long time, I feel quite humble to be back home again. 

It's nice reading all of your responses. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1