Options in case I need to leave Thailand due to expired tourist visa

AlphaCanadian

My tourist visa expires on Wednesday. I plan to do a visa run with an agency on either Sunday or Monday.

However if the vans turn out to be full or for if whatever reason I cannot do the run on Sunday or Monday I would like to have a backup.

I'm a little concerned about getting stuck with an expensive flight at the last minute.

I think that if I need to get out of Thailand on short notice that there are cheap options (trains that I can buy tickets on the same day first come first serve for example), correct?

Sorry if I seem paranoid but this is my first time doing a visa run that does not involved a flight that I booked far ahead and I definitely do not want to be stuck with an overstay on my visa.

Thank in advance.

Long time since I did any visa runs, how much is a van these days?  I never used one, I just trawled the net and found cheap flights. Just done that now and travelling on Air Asia on Tuesday at 18.15 and returning Wednesday at 17.05 would cost you 4200 baht + you get a night out in Singapore. Around 1000 baht more if you want to do a same day with an early-ish start - not sure if that's possible at Singapore.

There's a lots of other destinations at not a lot of cash - each to his own but I wouldn't want to spend hours and hours in a sweaty van.

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Long time since I did any visa runs, how much is a van these days?  I never used one, I just trawled the net and found cheap flights. Just done that now and travelling on Air Asia on Tuesday at 18.15 and returning Wednesday at 17.05 would cost you 4200 baht + you get a night out in Singapore. Around 1000 baht more if you want to do a same day with an early-ish start - not sure if that's possible at Singapore.

There's a lots of other destinations at not a lot of cash - each to his own but I wouldn't want to spend hours and hours in a sweaty van.

Thanks!

I think if I did that I would get 30 days (flying/spending the night) and then I could extend for another 30. (60 in total).

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Just done that now and travelling on Air Asia on Tuesday at 18.15 and returning Wednesday at 17.05 would cost you 4200 baht + you get a night out in Singapore.

Wednesday, AirAsia DMK to KUL (Kuala Lumpur).

Same day return for less than 4000 if booked now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlphaCanadian said:

Thanks!

I think if I did that I would get 30 days (flying/spending the night) and then I could extend for another 30. (60 in total).

Why not apply for a 60 day tourist visa whilst you're out? I believe you can then extend that for a further 30 days.  I'm not really up on these things but I believe that limits, official or otherwise are applied as to how many times you can do that.  Other more experienced members will be better placed to advise you on that.

Edited by KhaoYai

10 hours ago, AlphaCanadian said:

Do I need to spend the night to get a 30 day stamp?

Can I fly in and then fly out the same day and get the 30 days?

No need to spend a night in KL.

Same day out and in gets you a 30 day stamp.

Give yourself 2 to 3 hours at KL airport for turn around.

Be aware of 1 hour time zone difference.

AirAsia has plenty of flights from/to Don Mueang (DMK).

It has been documented on different sources.

Another advantage: most ("western") nationals do not need a visa.

No cost and only small stamps in the passport.

What nationality are you?

Edited by KhunBENQ

46 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No need to spend a night in KL.

Same day out and in gets you a 30 day stamp.

Give yourself 2 to 3 hours at KL airport for turn around.

Be aware of 1 hour time zone difference.

AirAsia has plenty of flights from/to Don Mueang (DMK).

It has been documented on different sources.

Another advantage: most ("western") nationals do not need a visa.

No cost and only small stamps in the passport.

What nationality are you?

Canadian.

I phoned immigration at the airport and the information you provide is definitely accurate (they confirmed it).

Thanks!!!

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wednesday, AirAsia DMK to KUL (Kuala Lumpur).

Same day return for less than 4000 if booked now.

Why would he want to spend 4000b and all the stress ivolved, when he can get the same result (30 day extension) for 1900b at his local Immi office?

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Why would he want to spend 4000b and all the stress ivolved, when he can get the same result (30 day extension) for 1900b at his local Immi office?

I already got a 30 day extension at immigration on my 60 day tourist visa (60+30=90).

I think that because I already got the 30 day extension at immigration that I need to leave Thailand for either a visa or an arrival stamp.

If I can got to immigration and get another 30 days then that is great. However I do not think that it is possible.

4 minutes ago, AlphaCanadian said:

I already got a 30 day extension at immigration on my 60 day tourist visa (60+30=90).

I think that because I already got the 30 day extension at immigration that I need to leave Thailand for either a visa or an arrival stamp.

If I can got to immigration and get another 30 days then that is great. However I do not think that it is possible.

Sorry, missed that part. :cowboy:

Edit. Actually you didn't mention this in your OP. :smile:

Edited by Vacuum

2 hours ago, AlphaCanadian said:

No not possible.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Edit. Actually you didn't mention this in your OP. :smile:

Indeed.

But as it was already mentioned as an option by others (#3, #4) I assumed that a border run is unavoidable.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No not possible.

Indeed.

But as it was already mentioned as an option by others (#3, #4) I assumed that a border run is unavoidable.

Not possible with another 30 days, but you can indeed apply for it. You will be given 7 days extra to leave the country if you do.

Just saying, if the time factor is an issue here.

Otherwise, 30 days visa exemption, out and in the same day, or applying for another tourist visa (picking up the next day), which both can be extented with 30 days, are both valid options. No issues.