Jomtien Immigration

Note:

They will often open the doors to the public around 8:00 am, but most counters will not start accepting customers until 8:30 (on the dot usually). They will give you a queue number when the doors open and you can sit inside, dry and cool, until the different desks start calling the numbers.
(If it looks like bad weather or is actually raining they may open the doors a few minutes earlier.)

Depending on the day (and the weather) there could be huge lines in front of the door well before 8, or next to no one. 

I've found the best times to go are early on Tues-Thurs mornings (assuming Mon or Fri isn't a holiday). 
Or go around 10(ish) as by then the morning "rush" will usually have been dealt with by then.

• Like 1

My experience recently was so much better than the last time in January. I suspect because it is low season. You do now need 2 copies of everything for an extension of Permission.

I was surprised they had me copy the receipt for the Landlord's form that had been stamped last time and tossed the new one. I guess easier as they didn't have to use energy to fill out and stamp the new one. She did ask me if it was the same address (which she could see was true). Again, I wish they would tell me at the front desk which room I am supposed to go to. Just to be sure.

Anyway, I am happy to avoid Bangkok immigration as Jomtien is easy to get to and you can wear shorts. Yay Jomtien.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

My experience recently was so much better than the last time in January. I suspect because it is low season. You do now need 2 copies of everything for an extension of Permission.

I was surprised they had me copy the receipt for the Landlord's form that had been stamped last time and tossed the new one. I guess easier as they didn't have to use energy to fill out and stamp the new one. She did ask me if it was the same address (which she could see was true). Again, I wish they would tell me at the front desk which room I am supposed to go to. Just to be sure.

Anyway, I am happy to avoid Bangkok immigration as Jomtien is easy to get to and you can wear shorts. Yay Jomtien.

I renewed my permission to stay in late June - arrived 8:25am, number 1 in the queue, processing started 8:33am at Desk 8, out the door at 8:36am - only one copy of documents needed.

• Like 1

Both in January and July 2 sets were required and I remember reading a poster who said the same. God love Thai consistency. Your mileage my vary.  I go during lunch break. Heard a guy complain about the break. Starting giving out numbers before 1 pm as they had in January.

Did you need to make a copy of the receipt for the Landlord's form?

Each Immigration Office seems to have their own requirements.  Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration requires only one set of documents for extensions based on retirement (Desk 8 ) and this has been the case for the last several years that I have been renewing (now on my 15th year).

On 7/8/2018 at 9:16 AM, Kerryd said:

Note:

They will often open the doors to the public around 8:00 am, but most counters will not start accepting customers until 8:30 (on the dot usually). They will give you a queue number when the doors open and you can sit inside, dry and cool, until the different desks start calling the numbers.
(If it looks like bad weather or is actually raining they may open the doors a few minutes earlier.)

Depending on the day (and the weather) there could be huge lines in front of the door well before 8, or next to no one. 

I've found the best times to go are early on Tues-Thurs mornings (assuming Mon or Fri isn't a holiday). 
Or go around 10(ish) as by then the morning "rush" will usually have been dealt with by then.

I think the best time is to go in the afternoon after 2 pm, Tuesday to Thursday.

I got quite a surprise yesterday when I went to do my retirement extension. I never usually go on Mondays, and as expected, the place was jam-packed at 13:30... however, when I got my number for the retirement desk, they were waiting for me. Less than 10 minutes and I was on my way home.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

I think the best time is to go in the afternoon after 2 pm, Tuesday to Thursday.

I got quite a surprise yesterday when I went to do my retirement extension. I never usually go on Mondays, and as expected, the place was jam-packed at 13:30... however, when I got my number for the retirement desk, they were waiting for me. Less than 10 minutes and I was on my way home.

I had the same experience in late May.  I was afraid no one would believe me.

8 hours ago, tropo said:

3 hours ago, Thailand J said:

I had the same experience in late May.  I was afraid no one would believe me.

I think you are just trying to sucker people into going later so that when you go (earlier) the lines will be smaller !!

But yeah, if you can't be among the first few in line, late morning or mid afternoon could be good as well. A lot of the people could be there for other reasons as well so it may not be as long a wait as you may expect. When I did my last extension I went back the next day around 09:50 to pick up my passport (the sign says to come after 10) and the place was nearly empty.

However, from my experience, way too many people wait until the last day to do (whatever) and it seems they all show up on Friday morning, or Monday morning. The worst is when the Friday or Monday is a holiday, or when the Friday is a holiday and the next Tuesday is as well so they decide to take Monday off to make it a 5 day holiday. (Was that in May 2017 ?)

The line up on the Wednesday morning was unbelievable.

That may have been the day when I started out 4th in line, but ended up getting ticket # 6 (406) for the 90 Day desk (a bunch of people snuck inside before the doors officially opened). While I was waiting for them to start work I saw people walking by with number 448 already and it was standing room only inside already.

I recall checking the 90 Day number another time when I was in picking up a passport and they were above number 460 by 10 am, but by then there was no one waiting to do a Report and both IOs looked kind of bored. Once they get rolling they can zip through a large line of people in a hurry (much better than it used to be).

Also, if it is raining, even lightly, a lot of people will stay home and go the next day. 

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I think you are just trying to sucker people into going later so that when you go (earlier) the lines will be smaller !!

But yeah, if you can't be among the first few in line, late morning or mid afternoon could be good as well. A lot of the people could be there for other reasons as well so it may not be as long a wait as you may expect. When I did my last extension I went back the next day around 09:50 to pick up my passport (the sign says to come after 10) and the place was nearly empty.

However, from my experience, way too many people wait until the last day to do (whatever) and it seems they all show up on Friday morning, or Monday morning. The worst is when the Friday or Monday is a holiday, or when the Friday is a holiday and the next Tuesday is as well so they decide to take Monday off to make it a 5 day holiday. (Was that in May 2017 ?)

The line up on the Wednesday morning was unbelievable.

That may have been the day when I started out 4th in line, but ended up getting ticket # 6 (406) for the 90 Day desk (a bunch of people snuck inside before the doors officially opened). While I was waiting for them to start work I saw people walking by with number 448 already and it was standing room only inside already.

I recall checking the 90 Day number another time when I was in picking up a passport and they were above number 460 by 10 am, but by then there was no one waiting to do a Report and both IOs looked kind of bored. Once they get rolling they can zip through a large line of people in a hurry (much better than it used to be).

Also, if it is raining, even lightly, a lot of people will stay home and go the next day. 

I was offering good advice. That's why I report here - to help others.

I have NEVER been to the Immigration office in the morning. I pick my times - mid-afternoon and mid-week. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes to report, and about 10 minutes to do my retirement extension in 10 years. This week was an exception as I went on a Monday afternoon. My number was on the screen as I walked to the retirement desk. I avoided all the poor souls who queued up in the morning... and the ones who queued up after lunch.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

I was offering good advice. That's why I report here - to help others.

I have NEVER been to the Immigration office in the morning. I pick my times - mid-afternoon and mid-week. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes to report, and about 10 minutes to do my retirement extension in 10 years. This week was an exception as I went on a Monday afternoon. My number was on the screen as I walked to the retirement desk. I avoided all the poor souls who queued up in the morning... and the ones who queued up after lunch.

Dude - it was a joke. Hence the string of "55555s" that preceded my comment.

11 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Dude - it was a joke. Hence the string of "55555s" that preceded my comment.

It was ambiguous as you seemed pretty serious about morning visits and even queuing to get in.

If it rains a lot the road (soi 5) will flood and everyone gets wet feet (in some places up to nearly knee high) the water is not clean !

18 hours ago, tropo said:

I have NEVER been to the Immigration office in the morning. I pick my times - mid-afternoon and mid-week. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes to report, and about 10 minutes to do my retirement extension in 10 years. //

but in this case you have to return the next day to pick-up your passport, and for all the people who live far from Jomtien or don't have easy way of transport, it's a problem.

Going before 10AM allow (allowed?) you to get your passport the same day at about 2PM, and only 1 day - 1 trip.

Nota: Seems that this year you always have to come back the following day to collect your passport, whatever time your arrive  ?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Jomptien now has a different procedure for reporting, I called by on Tuesday and now they have seats all down the left hand side of the immigration car park. You get a ticket with number and take a seat and wait for your number to be called, there isn't a log jam now in reception now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Jomptien now has a different procedure for reporting, I called by on Tuesday and now they have seats all down the left hand side of the immigration car park. You get a ticket with number and take a seat and wait for your number to be called, there isn't a log jam now in reception now.

That will be nice in the hot season.