Renting a car with a less-than-one-year licence

Hi all, 

Is there ANYWHERE in Chiang Mai that will rent me a car with a driving licence I've only had six months? 

I'm 34 but only got my licence recently. All the big rentals at the Airport won't touch a driver with less than a year's experience. Does anyone know any smaller companies who would? I really don't mind paying extra cover, it's the personal transport I need most importantly. 

Any ideas?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

One or two weeks ago i rented a car at SIXT in Udon Thani using my Thai driving license which i have since not even 2 months. What kind of driving license are you using?

Until I get my Thai Licence (which I intend to exchange against my Translated/Stamped Hungarian EU licence) I will be using a 1968 IDP... the grey one... I've even seen suggestion that's not even accepted in Thailand. 

Everything is so confusing, so much contradictory information. 

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

One or two weeks ago i rented a car at SIXT in Udon Thani using my Thai driving license which i have since not even 2 months. What kind of driving license are you using?

Ooh - I just checked SIXT and they haven't got the 1 year clause all the others seem to have?

That's mighty promising. 

4 minutes ago, AndyAnderson said:

Until I get my Thai Licence (which I intend to exchange against my Translated/Stamped Hungarian EU licence) I will be using a 1968 IDP... the grey one... I've even seen suggestion that's not even accepted in Thailand. 

Everything is so confusing, so much contradictory information. 

Yes, that the 1968 IDP is not valid in Thailand is my conclusion to which i came here:

Of course that's just what the Thai law says, and rental companies could still rent you a car with it.

You may get  rental but I would check the clauses of any insurance agreement pertaining to age or driving experience very closely, as it is likely you wont be covered in the event of an accident umless you have declared your experience level and paid a hefty premium if applicable

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AndyAnderson said:

Ooh - I just checked SIXT and they haven't got the 1 year clause all the others seem to have?

That's mighty promising. 

To be honest, I would not try to drive in Thailand, as you have way to less experience driving in general. 

Further, also SIXT state "Further restrictions apply dependent on driver age and type of vehicle required. " You could off course try to rent a car, pay the deposit, and then find out when you want to pickup the car that the manager in charge doesn't allow you to rent a car from them.

37 minutes ago, tonboy said:

To be honest, I would not try to drive in Thailand, as you have way to less experience driving in general. 

Further, also SIXT state "Further restrictions apply dependent on driver age and type of vehicle required. " You could off course try to rent a car, pay the deposit, and then find out when you want to pickup the car that the manager in charge doesn't allow you to rent a car from them.

my Translated/Stamped Hungarian EU licence... Who says he hasn't got sufficient experience ?

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

my Translated/Stamped Hungarian EU licence... Who says he hasn't got sufficient experience ?

reading is not your strength, is it?

22 hours ago, AndyAnderson said:

but only got my licence recently

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jackdd said:

reading is not your strength, is it?

"in Udon Thani using my Thai driving license which i have since not even 2 months."  +  "Until I get my Thai Licence (which I intend to exchange against my Translated/Stamped Hungarian EU licence)"

The whole post is a bit confusing. Starting with this... " I will be using a 1968 IDP... the grey one.." I'm sure he doesn't have a 1968 IDP if aged 34 as he states.

I might be mistaken, but I'm under the impression he has a Hungarian / EU license, as he states. So this is why I consider he has sufficient experience. Lets face it, you don't need a lot of experience to join the madness on Thai roads.

I have to disagree, my reading is pretty strong.