Teachers, Parents Urged To Instill Morals And Ethics In Youth

george

Teachers, parents urged to instill morals and ethics in youth

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's teachers and parents should attempt to instill morals and ethics in the country's youth when they are young since the lack of both principles has caused unprecedented corruption crisis in the private and public sectors, according to privy councillor and ex-prime minister Thanin Kraivixien.

Delivering a special lecture on "Morals and Ethics and Youth Development", former Prime Minister Thanin said that Thai society had recently experienced an unprecedented crisis of rampant corruption in the public and private sectors.

Vote buying at national- and local-level elections, collusion in bidding, corruption in construction

material prices and procurement of materials, and tax avoidance are commonly seen in the society, which has caused huge damage to the country.

Comprehensive corruption at policy-making levels has led to massive wasteful spending the central emergency relief budget for natural disasters, which cost the country hundreds of billions of baht in damage and caused a crisis in the country.

Some groups of people were willing to sell their voting rights in exchange for only a small sum of money, Privy Councillor Thanin charged. They did not know how extensively the country would be damaged by their behaviour, he said.

Mr. Thanin said many Thais lacked morals and ethics because people in the society indulged themselves without limit and are distant from Buddha's teaching. The people are mainly opting for materialism and competing for wealth.

In addition, he said, Thai society gives a greater importance to the patronage system than to the moral system. So, dishonest persons have the opportunity to administer the country.

He said His Majesty the King had given advices on morals and ethics on numerous occasions so that the Thai people could put them into practice.

Former PM Thanin added that teachers and parents are key persons to educate youth with the morals and ethics need for a good society, in addition to basic knowledge.

They must behave themselves in a good way to set example for the youth and instill the knowledge to live their life properly.

Also, they must teach them to strictly comply with Buddha's teachings and to be afraid and ashamed of sins against the principles of the Buddha.

--TNA 2007-02-05

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanin_Kraivixien

Tanin Kraivixien

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tanin Kraivixien (born April 5, 1927 in Bangkok, Thai: ธานินทร์ กรัยวิเชียร) was prime minister of Thailand between 1976 and 1977. Tanin is the son of Hae and Pa-ob Kraivixien. Tanin studied law at the Thammasat University in Bangkok. He graduated there in 1948, and went to London School of Economics to continue with his studies in Law. He graduated from there in 1953.

Tanin had been a lawyer by profession. He has been highly respected by Thai lawyers. His involvement with Thai politics did not start until the bloody student massacre in Thammasat and Thailand's military coup on 6 October 1976. The military government appointed Tanin to be the new prime minister on 8 October 1976. His administration lasted only a year until 20 October 1977, when his government was removed by the military. It is known to be the most pro-right wing administration in recent Thai history. It perpetrated harsh attacks on left-wing activists, communist sympathizers and progressive students due to fear of communism, which had been gaining popularity in Thailand. The victory of communist movements in neighboring countries such as Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia helped validate this fear.

Currently Tanin is one of 18 members of the Privy Council to King of Thailand which is the most respected position that Thai commoners could have in the court of the monarch.

Let's see... I'll prepare my first sermon...

"NO!!!......STOP!!!!........DON'T!!!!!!!!!!"

Think it'll work?

Face it, we're authority figures- we're the last ones that kids are going to have the judgment to listen to about a lot of the stuff they go through in their teenage years. Still, I think if we don't get too overbearing and hypocritical on them, there's a chance one or two of them might pay attention and learn something.

"S"

This idea must be contagious!

It hasn't been a week since China called on its own countrymen to stop the debauch and raise moral standards. Then, just a few days ago, Vietnam's premier made a similar speech to his country.

The only ones getting tired of the whole morals campaign are the youth of the world. Young people in Singapore revealed in a recent survey that they were absolutely and completely fed up with campaigns against pre-marital sex. OH MY GOD!

However, I do agree that it is up to each and every parent and adult to individually set an example without being all preachy.

This is a rolling story that will hit which country next?

Don't get me started about the immoral antics of my last four children when they were teenagers, none of whom got past the ninth grade...after I had been a Baptist minister of youth education.

But the old man is correct: parents and teachers have the responsibilities to teach moral values to their children, and Thailand's immorality and corruption have reached new heights or depths.

So, whose fault is that? Could it have been the Chinese-Thai-Chinese parents of folks like ThakSIN SINawatra? Could it have been the fault of the ajarns in those police pre-cadet classes?

It's too late. Children, teach your parents well.