UK Settlement Visa For Spouse

Sorry if this has been covered too often, I just want to make sure I have a better understanding as I am getting information for a friend (I'm not even from the UK so am in the dark about a lot).

- Thai Born Women married to English Born Man

- Actual marriage (not Thai ceremony) with official name change (Thai Woman's passport now shows English Man's last name)

- Have child from marriage.

- Man and Child live in UK with UK passports

- Wife wants to join in UK -- I believe under Settlement Visa - Spouse

I believe the requirements are:

1) Fill in the application form on line from the UK Gov't Web Site

2) Pay for the NHS

3) Pay for the appointment

4) Pay for the VIP room (I believe you get a little better service there).

5) Pay for the Visa

6) Show proof of English A1 Level

7) Have passport with at least 6 months remaining

8 ) Have medical test/TB Test?

I believe she also needs to show the Marriage certificate, but I'm unsure about this part:

Is it sufficient to have the Marriage Certificate translated/notarized/certified at Ministry of Foreign Affairs (from Thai into English) and then submitted with the documents?  Does something need to be done in the UK? (I.e., the marriage certificate needs to be deposited/registered with an office in the UK)?

Anything else I'm missing, or does this cover everything?

Any pointers/links/etc. to answers would of course be welcomed ?

Thank you kindly!

The application does, as you indicate, need to be submitted online, the application fee needs to be paid online at the same time, as does the NHS surcharge.

Your friend needs to provide evidence that he meets the financial requirement and have suitable accommodation available in the UK.

Their marriage certificate needs to be translated into English, if of course they married in Thailand, there is no requirement to lodge it in the UK.

The translation needs to be certified by the person doing the translation, it doesn’t need to be certified by the MFA, they only certify translations into Thai, so they wouldn’t do it anyway.

The purchase of the VIP room is a personal choice, but in my opinion a waste of money, the process is expensive enough already.

• Like 1